User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
NoobNation

Noobs Unite! Post your questions, concerns, share your experiences, start discussions. Anything and all noob related!

(No, you do not need to be a noob to participate - we need the help)

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,159
Bluhduh Fail

You spelled N00b, Wrong!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
You spelled N00b, Wrong!
i don't do capital letters...........besides, i'm a noob, i get to decide how to spell noob

oops, i did make a mistake........noob is spelled "awesome"

Be nice, behave or get deported from NoobNation!

Little Bike screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 03:02 PM
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 651
n00blike here -- been riding a couple years but still making dumb mistakes. i have sort of an open-ended question for the old-timers: what are your parking techniques? depending on the incline and level of lot activity, i either swing into a stall/slot riding my rear brake; or i arc in front of my chosen stall and "waddle" the bike backwards into my spot. are these credible? i'm always worried i look like some rank amateur when parking (which i am).

also, how the FUCK do the pirates park the bigger harleys? any bike over 600 pounds must be hell in little parking lots. too many opportunities for a surprise with your wheel turned. makes me antsy just thinking about it!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
n00blike here -- been riding a couple years but still making dumb mistakes. i have sort of an open-ended question for the old-timers: what are your parking techniques? depending on the incline and level of lot activity, i either swing into a stall/slot riding my rear brake; or i arc in front of my chosen stall and "waddle" the bike backwards into my spot. are these credible? i'm always worried i look like some rank amateur when parking (which i am).

also, how the FUCK do the pirates park the bigger harleys? any bike over 600 pounds must be hell in little parking lots. too many opportunities for a surprise with your wheel turned. makes me antsy just thinking about it!
I've done a lot of road riding. If the spot slants up I pull in then I can just roll backwards, spot slants down then I back in.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 839
Quote:

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you with both parking and the "still making dumb mistakes" thing. I park almost exactly the same way you describe, too. Backpedaling seems to work fine for me on anything aside from deep gravel. I think it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you're comfortable doing it and it's safe. Oh, and I try to always park the bike facing uphill...

As for the Harleys, I don't think they park - they just stop and let the earth move under them until they're in position.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I've done a lot of road riding. If the spot slants up I pull in then I can just roll backwards, spot slants down then I back in.
that's what i do.

i also find slow speeds way more stressful than fast speeds, since there are so many opportunities to get caught off-guard with my wheel turned (especially when you live in an area where every lot and exit is on a nasty incline). i'd love to hear more about folks' low-speed maneuvering techniques (i've been following and trying some of the police rider and gymkhana videos and drills). a few things i've discovered:

1. never be too hasty or fast, especially in lots (duh). early in my career, i had more than a few near spills because i was too quick on/off the clutch (i was stupidly proud of my seeming inability to stall), because for some dumb reason, i thought it was bad for the bike to ride in the friction zone too long. i also have a terrible case of impatience, and i foolishly thought i could be both fast AND smooth, which finally culminated in a painful drop. there's simply too much time spent with the wheel turned in seattle parking lots for panic grabs. i've gotten much better in straightening the wheel as my first reaction before the grab, but i worry.

2. target fixation is an even WORSE problem in parking lots, because there are SO many ways to be distracted. my gym has a combination set of high curbs, an arcing slighty off-camber inclined circuit, two blind exits to connecting streets, and a funky layout packed with potholes. i know it well enough to navigate it like a champ, but all it takes is one oil spill to put me off my strategy and pull me into a hazard as i look at it for too long. argh.

3. in that vein, ALWAYS have a strategy. my current "worry" is my tendency for indecisiveness in new parking lots when i am unfamiliar with the layout and the traffic flow. (this is probably a downtown urban thing.) it's very hard to focus on good low-speed technique when you're scanning for paths through crazy suv drivers jockeying into and out of small slots (badly), grandpas doing ten point turns, pedestrians ambling about at random, and the omni-present speed bumps and potholes and dead-end sections. add inclines and underground portions with terrible visibility for BONUS SCARE TIME! seattle parking SUCKS! recently, after several near-misses by asshole cagers, i've taken to riding my bike in town ONLY to lots i'm familiar with. (otherwise, i take my scooter, which is MUCH more forgiving for panic stops and quick flicks around exciting new hazards. that's right, i'm reduced to using a scooter as an urban "scout". ;-)).

4. if a lot is especially small, steep, poorly laid out, poorly maintained, or has shitty visibility all around, just stay out of it. i've gotten good at spotting the really awful ones and moving on. really, the case of nerves i currently get in some of these downtown lots put me at MUCH bigger risk, and it's better to go the nearest "safer" lot and hoof it a block, i feel. (i also continue to practice low speed drills.) i swear, i get far less nervous at 85 with heavy winds on the 520 bridge!

quasigentrified screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 05:54 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,155
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563090

TortillaJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
I was wondering when someone would point that out.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin ADV View Post
I was wondering when someone would point that out.
The purpose of this thread is for discourse, not to provide a list of unrelated (although good) advice. The other is a good thread, but doesn't serve the same purpose. This thread is meant to be a noob directed conversation.

If you want to provide assistant as an experienced rider, by all means post up!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,751
If you are on your KLR and a pack of Vespa's comes up behind you, don't be a douche, let them pass, enmasse!
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Far as park'in goes, most roads have "crowns" so they slope towards the curb. That's why us experienced fuckz alwayz back our bikes in. It's quite simple with a little practice.
Quote:

Actually, harleys are easier, cuz they'z lower than most other bikes. That's why newbs 'n girls prefer em.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,628
Unless the ground is level, I prefer not to waddle the bike. If your foot slips on a small patch of sand...down you go. I have had some close calls doing that, and seen friends dump their bikes. One guy did it with his wife on the back of his BMW 1100RT, which resulted in a mangle ankle for her. When in doubt, I just get off and walk it in, leaning the bike toward me slightly to avoid it getting away from me.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
also remember to leave it in first gear and turn your handel bars to the left.
first gear will act as a parking brake and turning to the left puts more weight on the sidestand.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:

Had a Victory Cross Country in AZ and it was as easy to park as my Shadow 650. I usually just swing in unless I want the front to be facing out, then swing out and back in. Big Victory, small Honda, if the bike's weight is laid out right, doesn't matter. As long as you don't do a no-speed fall (called a C.R. on the Shadow Aero forum) no problem.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote