User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Saltwater OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Condensation in speedo and tachometer

I am finally getting some use out of my 1978 R80/7 mini storage queen. I purchased it a year ago, and have refurbished cosmetics, some mechanicals too. Palo Alto cleaned and inspected the stock speedo and tach; installed new rubber eyebrow rings, spiffed them up. Moisture keeps condensing on the inside of the glass of both instruments. The bike is stored inside my shop, which was constructed a few years ago, so it is heavily insulated and weather tight. I rode it for work travels all day yesterday and the moisture never cleared. While parked on the center-stand in the shop, there is never any condensation on the glass. Finally, I just installed a used Parabellum Scout fairing purchased off of Ebay; there was condensation when it was naked, and also with the fairing. The bike has never been ridden in rain. Within about five minutes of starting a ride, the condensation appears.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this condition?

Thanks, Brian
Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
Condensation is water moisture that reaches its saturation point, which is low in lower temps.... you being in the NortWet, the air is probably HEEEUMID.... .... very. ...and when you come out of a relatively-warm garage, it finds that nice cold glass on which to condense....

You might try using a light (I use an outside spotlight bulb) in a clamp-on base, and set it up to keep the instrument pod warm overnight.. It would drive out any extra moisture (warm air can hold more moisture, so it evaporates, and then migrates to an area of less saturation. Physics of Air, we studied it in engineering, 'way back when....)

There will be a certain amount of moisture in the air, and the spring/summer transition causes a lot of condensation....

Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwater View Post
I am finally getting some use out of my 1978 R80/7 mini storage queen. I purchased it a year ago, and have refurbished cosmetics, some mechanicals too. Palo Alto cleaned and inspected the stock speedo and tach; installed new rubber eyebrow rings, spiffed them up. Moisture keeps condensing on the inside of the glass of both instruments. The bike is stored inside my shop, which was constructed a few years ago, so it is heavily insulated and weather tight. I rode it for work travels all day yesterday and the moisture never cleared. While parked on the center-stand in the shop, there is never any condensation on the glass. Finally, I just installed a used Parabellum Scout fairing purchased off of Ebay; there was condensation when it was naked, and also with the fairing. The bike has never been ridden in rain. Within about five minutes of starting a ride, the condensation appears.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this condition?

Thanks, Brian
real problem on early clusters. They changed the venting a few times. You could try replacing the main gasket (cheap) and checking the condition of the vent screens (or the presence of them). Cat Crap or similar on the inside of the "glass" may help some. You could also dry them totally (silica gel or cornmeal treatment) and see how long it takes to come back.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
caferacerturkei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wicked

so i need speedometer
i will buy this speedometer
what you talk about them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121095247531...84.m1555.l2649
caferacerturkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacerturkei View Post
so i need speedometer
i will buy this speedometer
what you talk about them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121095247531...84.m1555.l2649
Seller is an idiot. Don't do business with idiots, especially ones with only 15 feedback.

You should start your own thread for your own topic.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
caferacerturkei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
so hard
ok ty
caferacerturkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,133
I had a similar problem with my R80/7 instruments. Particularly, moisture would condense on the tachometer lens. Notably, the tachometer behaved erratically on occasion.

I took the cover off and sprayed electronics parts cleaner on the circuit board. That fixed the erratic tachometer swings. Taking the cover off in winter (when the air in the house has low humidity) and reassembling seems to have fixed the lens condensation problem.

Fundamentally, you have moisture in your instrument. When the weather is cool enough, this moisture condenses on the lens which has a temperature below the dew point of the humid air. Warming the pod up with hair dryer is worth a try and may help. Alternately, taking the pod off, removing the covers and putting some silica gel packets (not loose silica gel) in the housing for day or two will remove moisture.

Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 555
Dessicant

A friend use to use small dessicant packs inside his K-bike instrument housing as they were prone to condensation and failure.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote