ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
OneEffinName OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Moab - White Rim - Kokopelli - how much time?

I will be riding in Moab in April. Just for fun I will do the White Rim loop as well as a one way from Rabbit Valley to Moab on the Kokopelli. I have been on portions of both of these trails before so I am quite familiar with the terrain and complexities. My buddies are quite capable as well.

How long should we give for each of these trails? I would like to go slow and enjoy the scenery, plus stop for pictures. I sure dont want to rush it.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,776
What bikes?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
White rim trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
I will be riding in Moab in April. Just for fun I will do the White Rim loop as well as a one way from Rabbit Valley to Moab on the Kokopelli. I have been on portions of both of these trails before so I am quite familiar with the terrain and complexities. My buddies are quite capable as well.

How long should we give for each of these trails? I would like to go slow and enjoy the scenery, plus stop for pictures. I sure dont want to rush it.
You can do white rim one day (its about 100 miles) but it would be more fun to take your time - lots of pictures and camp along the trail - making it a two day trip.

MZ
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
9.5isCanadian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I rode the White Rim in May of this year. Started in at 5:pm. Spent a night at Airport then spent another night at Potato Bottom.
The sand was crazy deep between potato and the climb out.
Peace
Owen
"The secret is, that it's okay that it hurts."
9.5isCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
RODBOLT
Stay thirsty!

Oddometer: 39
I've ridden both several times and they are one day rides (unless you choose to make it longer of course). White Rim we usually start a little later in the morning and have never raced daylight. If you get an early start you should have time for pictures and most of the out and backs. Kokopelli however, get an early start and don't do too much stopping and sitting around. We've finished it in the dark... I live in Grand Junction, CO so if you need any local info don't hesitate to ask.
RODBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 762
take all day and make sure you've got a lot of memory left in your camera for all the pics you'll take on white rim trail.

if you're staying in moab and riding your bike up to, and around the loop, and back into moab, i seem to remember the mileage being around 130-135.

didn't have enough time to ride kokopeli, but i hope to fix that next year.
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
OneEffinName OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey gang thanks for all the great info.

I am not going to do any overnighters. I have spent most of my life in a tents and dont want to do that anymore. Its the 5er for sleeping for me.

So for the Kokopelli, perhaps I might just do a half way trip. So I can get some time to poke around while I am on the trail Either Rabbit Valley to Dewey Bridge or Dewey Bridge to Moab - any recommendations? Which part is harder/prettier, etc. I am not bothered by the rose garden, but would like to do the half that has the better scenery...

thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
RODBOLT
Stay thirsty!

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Hey gang thanks for all the great info.

I am not going to do any overnighters. I have spent most of my life in a tents and dont want to do that anymore. Its the 5er for sleeping for me.

So for the Kokopelli, perhaps I might just do a half way trip. So I can get some time to poke around while I am on the trail Either Rabbit Valley to Dewey Bridge or Dewey Bridge to Moab - any recommendations? Which part is harder/prettier, etc. I am not bothered by the rose garden, but would like to do the half that has the better scenery...

thanks

It's all beautiful. If you do it's entirety I recommend starting in CO at Rabbit Valley. You have to be quite a stud on a very light bike to ride up Rose Garden Hill. I would begin in Rabbit Valley and if you run short on time you have a couple options to bail out. Kokopelli crosses highway 128 twice, the second time at Dewey Bridge. You could bail at either crossing and slab it to Moab depending on the time of day. If you do have time the section between the two crossings is fun with some sand and cool rock formations. Also, if you continue past Rose Garden Hill you can also bail and ride down Onion Creek and back to Moab that way bypassing the LaSalle Mounains section. This is what we do more often than not. Keep in mind if we get the winter out here that we are hoping for the LaSalle section could very possibly be blocked by snow in April. If you have time don't miss out on the Top Of The World trail near the Dewey Bridge. A little rocky and technical but if you're taking pictures it is breathtaking! Good Luck!
RODBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
OneEffinName OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great - thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODBOLT View Post
You have to be quite a stud on a very light bike to ride up Rose Garden Hill.
that's me...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
OneEffinName OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Did White Rim yesterday on the 350excf. From shafer switchbacks all the way around to mineral bottom road. Technically it was easy. Lots of nice scenery. Riding time was about 6 hours (including a dip down to white crack). Spent a couple of hours on the way chatting with various people taking pictures, short hikes, etc.

Murphy hogsback was a non-issue. The road to hardscrabble was "fun" especially bumping into oncoming traffic. There are some good sand sections at potato bottom and hadscrabble.

On Friday, I am going to do a portion of Kokapelli from Dewey bridge to Moab, including top of the world.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
OneEffinName OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Did the Kokapelli trail from Dewey Bridge to slickrock including top of the world - now thats a fun trail!

Top of the world is a great technical ride to a fantastic overlook - love it! Lots of little rock steps and gets more technical the further up you go. Better to ride on the smaller bikes unless you can handle the techinical stuff on your KLR.

Then on the Kokapelli to Rose Garden hill. The route gets more rocky and technical the closer you get to the hill. On the hill itself there are a lot of rock steps and the bottom is scattered with football rocks. One of the steps I walked the bike, a few others I paddled, one or two I cleaned. But them I am a B rider (and budding trails rider) at best. I'd leave this to the smaller enduro race bikes. If you do it with a big bike make sure you get *lots* of video footage from many different angles. Send me a PM I''d as I would love to see it.

The rest of the road was pretty mellow with nice scenery of the valleys and the La Sal mountains. Even pavement on the La Sal loop. The Kokapelli trail from the La Sals to sandflat road was just a bunch of double track fun. This was just a riot with the 350excf - just like mountain biking.

At the end of it, I just *had* to take the bike on the Slickrock trail. We mountain biked it yesterday and it was just OK - not really my cup of tea. But it was super fun on an enduro, and I bet it would be crazy fun on a trials bike.

I got a bunch of pics and GoPro vids I will post up once I get them all edited.