User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Misty conditions riding for a newb

Rode in today expecting clear skies till late tonight. Greeted with a white out at the 36th floor and general dampness outside.

I'm a cyclist so I generally understand riding on this mist slickened roads, but anything special to know about doing it on a bigger bike? It's a 6 mile ride home on mostly asphalt. Should I stick with side streets or get in the main lane?

Thanks.

M
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Rode in today expecting clear skies till late tonight. Greeted with a white out at the 36th floor and general dampness outside.

I'm a cyclist so I generally understand riding on this mist slickened roads, but anything special to know about doing it on a bigger bike? It's a 6 mile ride home on mostly asphalt. Should I stick with side streets or get in the main lane?

Thanks.

M
Just ride slower if you don't feel your bike or are anxious. If you have good tires wet or slick roads aren't a problem. If there is much mist out there I ride with my warning lights on so that cars can see me but other than that I don't see what kind of advise I could give you. A bit of offroading would help you knowing your bike better and handling it well on any terrain. That said I get back to my first point, better to ride slower and taking 5 minutes more to get home than having an accident. If you do mostly on road, the TR91 from dunlop have an excellent grip on wet!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,175
Rain is usually better than mist.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
My rule of thumb is to ride the inner side of the road where a car would be driving, particularly at intersections as Fredrydr pointed out a little bit of rain creates an oil slick. The middle of the lane is where oil drops accumulate from poorly maintained autos. Just take it a little slower, watch out for slicks, pooled water, and painted portions of the road (particularly in turns).
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Vandal 62
KCCO

Oddometer: 173
watch out for man hole covers, wet leaves as well. Ride with your high beam on. Easy turn ins on corners, easy throttle hand. Extra vigilance riding defensively.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Johnson0311
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 51
Light on throttle and be mindful when downshifting. I live in Oregon and don't really think about it anymore. Just ride more defensively.
Johnson0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,688
Visibility is down watch the multiwheelers as they are not as attentive as we need to be in the rain.tapp'er gently you'll be fine,follow previous comments.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post

Thanks.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal 62 View Post
watch out for man hole covers, wet leaves as well. Ride with your high beam on. Easy turn ins on corners, easy throttle hand. Extra vigilance riding defensively.
Good points - except the high beam which seems to be an american/canadian phenomenon (you'd get done by the police in most countries)... the last thing you want to do is glare other motorists, particularly in misty conditions when their often ill-maintained wiper blades are already smearing their vision. Far safer to have dipped driving/auxiliary lights fitted - much more conspicuous but without the glare.

Also try to stay in the positions where car tyres run - that way you avoid surfacing oil/petrol/diesel in the centre of the lane.

After a few hours of a good rainstorm, on a modern bike with quality tyres you'll have about 80-90% of the traction of a dry road so presuming you're riding smoothly and sensibly you're unlikely to slide/skid/spin. Don't forget a motorbike weighs 10-20x what a bicycle weighs so you have a lot more pounds per square inch pressing your tyres to the road.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 05:24 PM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Good points - except the high beam...
I agree wholeheartedly. High or main beam simply dazzles the driver/rider from reflection off the fine droplets of fog and mist, thereby reducing visibility.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,122
Painted lines become VERY SLICK with just mist, long before the asphalt with deeper texture begins to get slick. Think water on a painted floor...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
Don't forget to avoid turtles. You know the things in the road with reflectors built into the sides? Hit a few of those dry is an awakening experience, hitting them wet will make your butt pucker up.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal 62 View Post
watch out for man hole covers, wet leaves as well. DO NOT ride with your high beam on. Easy turn ins on corners, easy throttle hand. Extra vigilance riding defensively.
Good advice!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 599
What they all said.

I think it helps to use some form of beading agent on your visor, but make sure whatever you pick is compatible, I hear that some of them make smearing a problem. Look into keeping the inside fog free as well, thousand different opinions on that.
All of the above is moot if you can't see properly.

Don't wear a grey or black jacket, you want to stand out.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
ILikeToThump
I'll Ride Anything.......

Oddometer: 699
All good advice guys! Mist is usually much worse than a nice "cleaning" rain. The pic above with the oil is the perfect reason! If it rains hard or water is flowing over the road it may deposit debris and such. You do NOT want to hydroplane on a motorcycle. NOT good! Just use your head and you will be OK. Understand the cages ability to see you is reduced considerably!!!! Bucky
"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. "
Adrian Rogers, 1931
ILikeToThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
if you wear glasses, try to keep your shield as tightly closed as possible. Mist and fog are 10x worse than rain for giving you 3 trillion little droplets on your lenses.