User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Visibility x2

Pledge furniture polish works on the windscreen and outside of your face shield to help the moisture bead up and blow away. No antifog compound for the inside and for eyeglasses I've tried works as good as I'd like. Cracking the shield to clear the fog lets in mist that fogs everything worse than ever. Pinlock works for the inside of the visor, but only speed and good helmet ventilation works for eyeglasses even after the application of a no-fog product.

Actually conspicuity---other people seeing you. Hi viz orange is my choice, and lots of retroreflective strips on the rider at night. I don't agree with high beams if your bike has good lighting; some bikes with poor lighting are OK with high beams on in the day.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
if you wear glasses, try to keep your shield as tightly closed as possible. Mist and fog are 10x worse than rain for giving you 3 trillion little droplets on your lenses.
This. Some of the most terrifying riding I've done has been in heavy fog. The 20 feet of visibility is bad enough without my glasses fogging up.

SLOW DOWN and don't outride your vision.

Antiquar screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 11:55 AM
Antiquar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
This. Some of the most terrifying riding I've done has been in heavy fog. The 20 feet of visibility is bad enough without my glasses fogging up.

SLOW DOWN and down outride your vision.
That picture was taken at a mcdonalds parking lot in the middle of the night. I realized after about the 4th bridge on the 4 lane that I didn't notice till I crossed off of it that enough was enough.

Pulled over and napped in their little lawn till they opened up.

Which is tip #2, waterproof gear is good for more than just keeping you dry while you ride.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
I've been using a Pinlock visor, and it works very well to eliminate fogging.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,726
Don't be nervous, you would be amazed what you can get away with in the rain. Fart around in a wet parking lot some day and see just how hard you can brake in the wet before the wheel(s) lock.

Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Sorry for the lack of update. I made it home no problem, though it was a bit puckier than normal.

I think it was interesting I kept naturally tending to move to the center of the lane but had to fight that, I think the reason that the center appears to be a higher crown. But I had to fight that and instead take the potentially puddled left wheel groove to avoid oil drips and other slicks in the center.

Not sure I am ready for full on rain, but I'll not be afraid of misty days and light drissel

Thanks friends.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Sorry for the lack of update. I made it home no problem, though it was a bit puckier than normal.

I think it was interesting I kept naturally tending to move to the center of the lane but had to fight that, I think the reason that the center appears to be a higher crown. But I had to fight that and instead take the potentially puddled left wheel groove to avoid oil drips and other slicks in the center.

Not sure I am ready for full on rain, but I'll not be afraid of misty days and light drissel

Thanks friends.
Proper rain is preferable to mist - there is enough water on your visor for the airflow to push it off, even more so if you have a peak (enduro style helmet) which creates something of a vortex around the visor area pushing off even more water. And enough water to clean foreign substances off the road surface. With a safe amount of tread, motorcycles won't typically aquaplane/hydroplane because the tyres have a round profile (unlike the squared off profile of car tyres) which cuts through standing water more effectively. I did 400 miles across northern Europe last year in one of the worst rainstorms I can remember with no near misses, although the crosswinds coming off the North Sea in Belgium was off-putting since it was strong enough to nearly push me into the next lane.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #23
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
I stupidly got into a hydroplaning situation in Florida once. Running along at 90 with a group of cars and hit heavy rain about the same time as I came up on a semi. Changed lanes to go around him and got squirrely, but had to stay on it because of fast movers behind me. I was plenty ready to change lanes and slow down once I cleared the truck.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #24
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,809
in misty conditions i find that water may build up on the visor that will blow away if you turn your head to the side a little..