User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Jimmy B.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
pot holes & such

I am no road or cival engineer, but that's a screwed up place to put a grated drain.

Beemer bike rims is soft. Sorry no one told you.

On anything BUT a race track, this time of year you need to keep the tire pressures up. Leaned over in the corner you were almost out of any cushion and close to the side wall. Still, it almost looks like you ran over a concrete block!

Like others here say, contact the city. What do you got to lose?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Did that little missing bit of pavement cause you to crash, and something else on the crash bent the rim? It is hard to believe that the shallow hole did the damage.

What air pressure did you have in the tire...do you know if it was indeed inflated to the spec pressure at the time of the hit?

If BMW rims are soft compared to others, that might make them easier to repair if the damage isn't this severe.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Gotta say it sure looks like you weren't centered in your lane... you probably would have avoided the crash if you were.

I cannot believe that tiny little piece missing would have caused your bike to go down, nor damage the rim like it did.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
I was just to the right of the yellow line, there's a lot of gravel and crap to the outside. The pictures show a bit of it. Honestly, I'm not worried about getting reimbursed for the repairs, I'm definitely going to report it though.
OK, it is hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like a scrape that goes in the same direction of the bikes path of travel starts on the left side of the yellow. That could be from the plany ofother wheels that hit that hole as well (I do see other scrapes = you are not the first)

That said, what paper mache is BMW using for their rims? Leave the rim in the sun and push it back into shape with your hand
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Did that little missing bit of pavement cause you to crash, and something else on the crash bent the rim? It is hard to believe that the shallow hole did the damage.

What air pressure did you have in the tire...do you know if it was indeed inflated to the spec pressure at the time of the hit?

If BMW rims are soft compared to others, that might make them easier to repair if the damage isn't this severe.
36 front 39 rear is what the OBC showed ~10 minutes prior when I was sitting in traffic flipping through the info. I find it very hard to believe that something that small caused so much damage but I could find nothing else at the site that could have caused it. There were some rocks in the ditch where I went into it but the bike was well clear of them and pointing nose down. The tires were changed 5 days ago and only have about 1000 miles on them. I'm usually centered in the lane, there's quite a lot of gravel in that area that blends in though and I've had the back step out a few times towards the outside of that turn.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Z50Pilot
Sparky

Oddometer: 243
+1 on the bad line

Sorry to see the pics of the crash, but glad you are OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
Gotta say it sure looks like you weren't centered in your lane... you probably would have avoided the crash if you were.

I cannot believe that tiny little piece missing would have caused your bike to go down, nor damage the rim like it did.
+ 1 It looks like you were just left of center when you went down. If the pot-hole did not take you down, the metal grate would have. Metal grating is slick when dry and like ice when wet. The new tires may also have been to blame. Even though they had some miles on them, if they edges had not been scrubbed in they could still be slick. I do not think the hole caused anything, it looks way left of the scrapes.

I've damaged wheels on smaller pot-holes that that (and rocks), so it is possible.

Never lend a friend your Pacific Coast. Unless you like scratches and want a beer annuity

Z50Pilot screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 11:39 AM
Z50Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #22
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B. View Post
Beemer bike rims is soft. Sorry no one told you.
I think I agree with that, I hit a paving slab at maybe 40mph that had fallen off another vehicle with my F650CS.
Slab was maybe 1.5" deep and my direction of travel was close to but not exactly perpendicular to the edge of the slab.
Edge of the alloy rim one side of the front wheel deformed (although not as badly as yours did)
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,216
I think you lost it on the grate, and bashed the rim on a rock where you ended up.
Hard to believe a small hole like that would do that to a rim with air in the tire.
That or BMW is making the rims like the forks that break...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I think you lost it on the grate, and bashed the rim on a rock where you ended up.
Hard to believe a small hole like that would do that to a rim with air in the tire.
That or BMW is making the rims like the forks that break...
That's my thinking as well. But the feedback from the bike immediately before was completely alien to me. The front crossed without issue but immediately after it was like the back end disappeared and I was instantly on the ground. Am I wrong in thinking I'd feel it sliding before it went? Anyway, I'm going back there yet again now.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
I am also glad you are alright. Looks like your gear did what it was supposed to, and then some.

Bike not too bad 'cept the rim by the looks. It was a dumb spot for that drain to be sure.....

Unfortunate dump to say the least. Imagine the surprise at NIGHT.

ZZZZZZZip, Ahhhhhh, WTF!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,911
Ouch- Sorry about your getoff. I'm not a CE either, but I work with a bunch. I showed this to one and he said "this is bad design". As you can see by the cracks all the way around this, it is a recuring problem. In fact, they shouldn't even have a drop inlet there at all. It should be over at the low side of the road in the ditch. Pave over it and drain the runoff properly.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I am also glad you are alright. Looks like your gear did what it was supposed to, and then some.

Bike not too bad 'cept the rim by the looks. It was a dumb spot for that drain to be sure.....

Unfortunate dump to say the least. Imagine the surprise at NIGHT.

ZZZZZZZip, Ahhhhhh, WTF!
I'm damned impressed with how well the suit worked.
I wasn't able to find anything off the road that would have done that much damage to the wheel. There were some loose rocks in the area but nothing that showed any sign of contact.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
BeMeUp
neverlost

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
I'm damned impressed with how well the suit worked.
I wasn't able to find anything off the road that would have done that much damage to the wheel. There were some loose rocks in the area but nothing that showed any sign of contact.
A possible senario; wheel impacts hole then grate while leaned over breaking the bead and instantly deflating tire. Back end goes airborn still leaned over. When wheel next makes contact with pavement/ grate tire is deflated and rim sustains the noted damage. Two seprate impacts micro seconds apart.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
Madrox OP
Like a bat out of hell

Examining the tire you can see where it briefly rode on the sidewall after the rim exploded. That little flap of rubber shouldn't be there and isn't on the opposite side of the tire.

Showing its path around the tire:
http://imgur.com/a/elYF1#3

Opposite side of tire:
http://imgur.com/a/p4T0g#0
Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I'm surprised that the hole caused that much damage, and that you had a line just right to miss the front tire but hit the rear. I too think it looks like you were to left of center, but I'm not going to argue with you about it.

I have bent V-Strom front rims twice, neither was a crash, the first was one pothole among many in a rough stretch of road (flood damaged) and the other was a very thin tree/sapling trunk across the entire width of a narrow dirt road. I saw the obstructions and intended to maintain my line through them, was up on the pegs but the rim couldn't handle it. In my cases both wheels definitely went through the obstruction but only the smaller sectional height front tire bottomed onto the rim. The pothole caused a "chuffing" leak that puffed every time the wheel went around, at low speed sounded like a choo choo train. The tree made only a small dent that didn't leak (and that I didn't notice until much later).
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote