Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Echolake OP
Echolake

Oddometer: 6
'72 r75/5 charge light stays on when key is pulled...

Help! I was out riding today and noticed that the charge light stayed on when the key was pulled. The bike was the very difficult to start (Starter seemed to be not engaging) but finally did start and I rode off. 10 miles later a noise developed that sounded like it may be the starter running away. after a mile or so that sound went away so I rode home (another mile or so). The charging light is still on when the key is removed and when I insert the key to try to start the bike the charging light goes off but it sounds like the starter is having trouble engaging. I'm thinking it may be the starter relay but I'd like some other opinions before I spend the $125 on the part. Any ideas??
Echolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
First thing is to disconnect the return to the battery. Secondly, the starter relay shouldn't have anything to do with said light... let me find the wiring diagram and I'll have some more insight shortly...

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,652
On a /5 the starter relay might be involved-- remember, the relay also functions as a lockout to keep the starter from engaging when the engine is running by monitoring the charge light, so there is a wire connecting the two. And given the odd operation of the starter, who knows what all is amiss. I'd advise the OP get a schematic and start tracing wires...

--Bill
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 772
Most likely is a fried diode board. When taking off the front cover of a /5, if you drag across the diode board, it will soon be history. If a diode goes (depending which one) power will run backwards through the once "one way" gate and cause the charge light to glow.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echolake View Post
Help! I was out riding today and noticed that the charge light stayed on when the key was pulled. The bike was the very difficult to start (Starter seemed to be not engaging) but finally did start and I rode off. 10 miles later a noise developed that sounded like it may be the starter running away. after a mile or so that sound went away so I rode home (another mile or so). The charging light is still on when the key is removed and when I insert the key to try to start the bike the charging light goes off but it sounds like the starter is having trouble engaging. I'm thinking it may be the starter relay but I'd like some other opinions before I spend the $125 on the part. Any ideas??
Starter relays don't cost $125. It's an ordinary relay and costs $6 for the nicest one at any auto parts store.

The /5 has a starter protection relay that cuts the starter circuit when motor is running (in case your tank bag tries to push the starter button). If it dies bike won't run. Costly to replace. Easy to just throw it away and put a momentary push button in it's place. To start the bike you hold down the momentary switch and hit the starter button. So you get the protection and a bit of anti-theft as well. You gotta know about that momentary to start it with a nail.

I was using bar end mirrors so I put the pushbutton in the hole from one of the stock mirrors on the right bar. Easy to hit both buttons with one hand, the added button didn't get hit by accident and it would take pushing both to operate the starter. This was after two of the protection relays died.

You always disconnect the battery ground before pulling the front cover. This fixes the problem with hitting, and shorting, the diode board. If they don't overheat they last a long time. Aftermarket replacements are popular and generally superior---for less cash. But it has to match your alternator. If you are still running a 180W it's worth getting the early /6 one from a boneyard.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote