ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,349
Massanutten Resort

Does anyone have any information on the Massanutten Resort Area...my wife has decided that we should take a bike trip south this fall and is looking at a deal on a week at one of the lodges in this resort. we would spend 5-7 days there doing day trips on the bike.

Any information on the resort or riding in the general area would be a big help. We are looking at mid September
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,779
I don't know anything about the lodges around there, but I do know that there's a lot of great riding to be had regardless of which bike from your sig line that you bring. However, in order to better serve you, which bike will you be bringing and what type of roads are you looking for. I presume that you're looking at setting up day ride routes, using Massanutten as a base camp. And two up riding? Or each each of you on your own bike?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
but I do know that there's a lot of great riding to be had regardless of which bike from your sig line that you bring.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,687
I know a place you might be able to stay. Clue you in on some good food too.

When in fall?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Got to fix my sig line..

I will be 2-up on my new Tenere.

My wife has decided that a bike trip would be a good way to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary

Looking at the 3rd week of Sept..

She is finding deals at that resort for around $300 for the week through a time share program we have..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
I recently moved from Richmond,VA to Concord,MA. I skied Massanuttan several times and did lots of day trips up in that area hardly any bad Rds. in Central and Western,VA

That time in Sept. is really nice temps can range from 65F to the mid 80's or even warmer.

I'm looking forward to exploring NH,VT,and ME this spring and summer.
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Clue you in on some good food too.
Mind sharing the food recommendation? I will be staying at the resort in May.

(I'm also hoping to squeeze in a ride on 33 to Seneca Rocks while out yonder - I hear that's a good jaunt)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Kawi-Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
The ride over to Seneca Rocks is a really nice ride. Two years ago in one of the motorcycle mags it was in the top ten roads in America. It may have been in my AMA monthly mag I get. Anyway, I rode to Seneca Rocks on 33 and came back on 250 into Staunton then north on 81 just a few miles back up to 33 which takes you back to Massenutten.
91 ZX 11
78 Z1R
Kawi-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
My 2 fav RTE were(are) The BBQ Exchange in GordensVille,VA and in Speerysville,VA The Thorton River Grill.
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Got to fix my sig line..

I will be 2-up on my new Tenere.

My wife has decided that a bike trip would be a good way to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary

Looking at the 3rd week of Sept..

She is finding deals at that resort for around $300 for the week through a time share program we have..
My folks have places there. Great resort.
I'm up there at least 2 weeks a year. There is tons of hiking and riding all around there. Almost all the roads are nice unless it's four lanes.
As for food, the "links" (I think that's the name?) restaurant at the resort, right on the golf course kind of sucks. Pricey and meh. The pub right on the ski slopes has just as good of food.
Hanks is decent right off of 33 at the bottom of the mtn. Harrisonburg is ~15 minutes away and has all your standard fare for food. I haven't found anywhere "excellent" yet that I'd recommend. (Partly cause I'm usually snowboarding the whole time and just eat for cheap)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Have you considered venturing a bit futher, perhaps to Snowshoe Mtn. Resort in WV? Absolutely beautiful area.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,118
Quote:
Does anyone have any information on the Massanutten Resort Area...my wife has decided that we should take a bike trip south this fall and is looking at a deal on a week at one of the lodges in this resort. we would spend 5-7 days there doing day trips on the bike.

Any information on the resort or riding in the general area would be a big help. We are looking at mid September
I lived there for about 14 years. Great place to start a ride

do the Sperryville loop, 644 to 602 to 340N to 211E over the mountain, S on 231 to 29 S to 230 west to 33 west back to the "Nut", it's a half a day trip. gives you time to stop and smell the roses, grab a bite to eat and check things out.

and you can always run the Blue Ridge Parkway or Shenandoah National Park. SNP speed limit is 35mph.

You have 33 West into WV then pick any road south down to 250 and back east into VA, 42 N to Harrisonburg. Great day trip rides into WV pick a route and go Day tripping rides to Snowshoe, WV, Cass, WV, Seneca Rocks, WV, Green Bank, WV etc. Day Tripping south to Hot Springs, VA or Highland County, VA on the back roads is another good ride.

Loop north to 55 W and find a road back south to 33

Good eats off the mountain!! On the golf course there is Fareways, a little pricey. Hank's BBQ on 33 is good eats

check the Good Eats linky for places to stop for a bite in WV and VA.

mid september is a good time. good weather and no leaf peepers on the roads yet you'll see the start of some tree colors up higher in the hills and in WV
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanks for all the great input guys, this should really help. Once we book something I will revisit route and restaurant ideas in the latter part of the summer.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideOn2 View Post
I recently moved from Richmond,VA to Concord,MA. I skied Massanuttan several times and did lots of day trips up in that area hardly any bad Rds. in Central and Western,VA

That time in Sept. is really nice temps can range from 65F to the mid 80's or even warmer.

I'm looking forward to exploring NH,VT,and ME this spring and summer.
Shoot me a PM if you need any route ideas
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,118
Quote:
Thanks for all the great input guys, this should really help. Once we book something I will revisit route and restaurant ideas in the latter part of the summer.
if you are into wine, there are some good vineyards in VA. check out http://www.virginiawine.org/ for ideas for day tripping from the "Nut"
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote