Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Bussy OP
Bussy

Oddometer: 19
5 days in the Maritime Alps...I have a plan but would love some feedback/ideas!

Long time lurker, turns trip planner and eventually day trippin poster.

I know August is a long way off but since I don't get as much time to ride as I would like, I have to make sure that I milk the planning phase!

I have a 5 day pass from the wife and can't wait to explore some of the high passes in the French Alps. I am based in Switzerland.

Here's my plan: 5 days, 1590kms, ave. 320km/day.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

Hit me with your local knowledge, advice, routes, pictures, I am all
Bussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
This being August, I assume that you will have made advance reservations for the daily stops - your daily distances will make for fairly long days and accommodations could be thin if you don't have a place waiting for you for the night.

You might also wander over to the Alpine Roads web site and post there in the Forums.

Between here and there, you should get a goodly amount of info.

What you do have looks good - you'll hit most of the major passes and roads. You will miss a few, the Vercours with the Col de Rousset and the Col de Turini; but there's always next year
IBA #3901
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009

Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,473
August will normally have excellent,hot weather....If it were I,I'd stop off in Chamonix and take the cable car up to the Aiguille du Midi,sit and have a coffee and take in the splendid and superb views of Mont Blanc (4.8kms alt)and the surrounding ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiguille_du_Midi#Cable_car

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post
...I'd stop off in Chamonix and take the cable car up to the Aiguille du Midi
From his route, it looks like he's based near Montreux. If so, that's only about 85kms from Chamonix and he can get there anytime.

Every time I've been through Chamonix, the weather has been bad - low clouds. I couldn't see spending the time and money to look at the tops of clouds.

One of these days, though, my lock is bound to change.
IBA #3901

Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
WIBO
Will it buff out?

I'm sure your luck will indeed change...sounds like you have the same kind of luck I have!!!...ho hum...

Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Bussy OP
Bussy

Thanks for your input...

Thanks for your input...

As for accomm, yes I have booked places that offer free cancellation on booking.com, just in case! I'm not one for just turning up, if I did that I would never cover the same distances, would waste valuable bike time.

Also means I can modify my plan.

I think Col de Rousset might be for another year but Col de Turini is not far away and was on my list of 'regrets' for this route. What do you think MichaelJ, is it worth to re-route for Turini? I would probably have to sacrifice or at least modify my Day 2 loop to make time and shift things around so I had an extra half a day in the 'deep south'.

As for the Chamonix cable car, I've never been up there and looking at the pics it is definitely now at the top of my list for a Sat/Sun afternoon trip.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 AM   #7
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Yip..if you get the weather IMO it'd be a shame not to spend a morning there,and then ride on. You get to look up at the summit of Mont Blanc(only a further 1 km up) you can also walk out through an ice tunnel and see climbers setting off for the peak.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bussy View Post
...but Col de Turini is not far away and was on my list of 'regrets' for this route...
It would add almost 150kms to your loop south from Isola, and that would be a ride over the Col, turn around and ride back sort of thing.

I'd tend to hold off on that for another year and include the Col de Tende (old road - if you have a suitable bike and/or skills)
IBA #3901

Old 04-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 6,193
I'd take a serious look at your planned mileage, I've a feeling you're overdoing it if you want things like breakfast, lunch and dinner in daylight.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
Bussy OP
Bussy

Good advice MichaelJ. I will add Col de Tende to my 'regrets' list for this trip. To your question on my bike/skills, I have a Tiger 1050 which for sure could handle the road but my skills with regards to dodgy tarmac / gravel are poor to say the least. I have done a few trips around Europe (day trips, 4 or 5 day trips) but have only been riding for 6 years. I've riden a few gravel roads in Malaysia (used to live there) but on an Aprilia Pegaso Strade 650 and not blind switchbacks. When I look on googlemaps streetview, the Italian side of the Tende looks a bit scary on the blind swithbank front, in case of cars coming the other way. The French side looks more open. I will for sure, ride more, prepare, visit Turini and Tende another year...thanks for the tip

To catweasel, 300km per day is very achievable and my days 2,3,4 are all more or less bang on 300km. Days 1 and 5 are a bit longer but Day 1 (350km) I will be keen and fresh and Day 5 (375km) I will be homeward bound and somehow I don't count the 35km from Martigny to Montreux

Having said that, I agree it is quite intense. I don't get anywhere near as much time as I would like to ride, so when I get a few days to myself, I like to make the most of it. I have a couple of rules that make these longish days more achievable: early nights, early mornings, eat and leave before 8am, 4 hours of riding before lunch allows for more stops and generally more relaxed afternoons/early evenings.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bussy View Post
When I look on googlemaps streetview, the Italian side of the Tende looks a bit scary on the blind swithbank front, in case of cars coming the other way. The French side looks more open.
I really don't remember the Italian side of the Col, other than it being nicely paved. The French side (after the turn off from the main road) is "paved" for about the first half and then reverts to gravel. I don't recall it being overly nasty. I was on a 1200GS, but my dirt skills are pretty poor. It should be readily do-able on any bike with wider handlebars and "normal" front end geometry - i.e. not kicked out like a cruiser. This was as of 2008.

I'd definitely go up the French side rather than down. I'm MUCH braver going uphill
IBA #3901

Old 04-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
... I'd definitely go up the French side rather than down. I'm MUCH braver going uphill
Aren't we all!
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
ptr
Elefant-Tamer

Oddometer: 55
5 days in the alps ...

try http://alpenroute.de. of course, it´s in german, but you may find any destination in the ´index´ by name or in this map http://alpenrouten.de/regions.html?region=21.

you´ll get information about current driveability, height and grade of difficulty. roads in the whole alps are covered, mostly pictured, and more comprehensive than alpineroads.com.

if you need more information (perhaps also in gravel roads), you may contact me.

cheers

btw: the old tende-road (french side) now is closed for any traffic!

ptr screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 04:49 AM
ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr View Post
btw: the old tende-road (french side) now is closed for any traffic!
That truly sucks!

When did that happen? Is it permanent?
IBA #3901

Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
ptr
Elefant-Tamer

Oddometer: 55
5 days in the maritime alps ...

right!

end of the year i got the info, that french authorities would plan to close the road for all motorized traffic. the last comment on alpenrouten.de, dated 04/08/2013, means: of course closed this time of year and after this harsh winter. older posts mention nothing. so: let´s have a surprise :)

i think it wouldn´t be a big loss. the really nice stretch are the mountain ridges on the left and right, parts of the via del sale.

No ABS. No CAT. No INJECTION. Certainly not 4CYL nor 16V.
just FUN
ptr is offline   Reply With Quote