Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,602
Dude, you don't ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I know that "border" is spelled b o r d e r

and not boarder.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprism View Post
After reading the NON-RESIDENT FIREARM DECLARATION sheet it looks like I can legally cross into Canada with a legal pistol or rifle. The gun I will bring has a barrel length longer than 4.1 inches is a 45 caliper semi automatic and is therefore legal according to the Canada government.

I have camped all over the US in Grizzly and Black bear areas and have never had a problem with wild life in camp. I know not to eat close to my tent, discard all garbage in a bear proof container, etc. I have always carried a pistol with me on my camping rides in America but have never crossed into Canada. What I was looking for in this post was from those that have/do cross the US/Canada boarder with a legal gun and how much trouble it may or may not be to do so.

p.s. I also carry DAP Bear Spray, Boat Horn and a 12 Gauge Flare Pistol and therefore sleep real good at night.
You might consider posting this question to a larger audience as to whether anyone has ever successfully and legally done this in a few other places, maybe the perfect line or in the Alaska regional forum. I think the summary of what those have posted here is that we don't suspect its possible nor do we know anyone who has successfully done so.

The conventional wisdom in Alaska is that there are only four ways to get handguns in Alaska. You have to fly it, buy it, ship it or take the ferry from Bellingham (and not the one that stops in Prince Rupert). If you do post elsewhere and find otherwise, come on back and let us know. I'm happy to eat some crow in the name of enlightenment.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I've lived within 30 miles of the Canadian border since 1974. I know plenty of people that hunt in Canada. I know Canadians that are on competition pistol teams. I know American shooters that compete across the border. Half my town have relatives over the border.

Pistols are extremely difficult to bring into Canada. This simple truth. As a private citizen who is just riding through, it is highly unlikely that you will be issued a pistol permit. I don't know if you've checked the RCMP regs, but unless you're an exceptional case the answer is no pistol.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...-eng.html#P002

This is pertinent in your case, and would make the weapon useless, in the unlikely event you were issued a pistol permit:

Canadian law states that you have to transport all firearms unloaded. If you are transporting them in a vehicle, they must be kept out of sight in a part of a vehicle that is kept locked (the trunk, if there is one), unless the vehicle is supervised by an adult. You have to transport restricted and prohibited firearms in a locked case and equip them with locked safety devices to prevent firing. Antique handguns do not require a secure locking device, although all other transportation provisions apply.

"Supervised by an adult" has been interpreted as to mean in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle at all times when a firearm is being transported. Don't go to the "washroom" and leave the firearm unattended.

It's stretch for many Americans to get their heads around the Canadian firearm regulations. They, as you, feel there must be some sort of a loophole for decent folk that want to pack a pistol. There really isn't in normal circumstances. Even my Canadian friends who shoot competitively tend to leave their weapons in the shooting club safe, as it's far less hassle in the long run. In the long view, Canadians don't feel they need to keep a pistol in the house, or on their hip. It's part of their national character. You're going to a nation that makes their own rules. It works for them. Respect it.
This is possibly the best reply I've seen on this question.
Thank you from a non gun obsessed Canadian.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
smoky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
You cannot bring your pistol into Canada, on your way to
Alaska, or anywhere else. Can't be done, forget it.

Canadian bears are friendly, you don't want to shoot them anyway.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Just take a swig of that good Canadian rye and kiss 'em on the lips. They're as limp as a kitten afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Canadian bears are friendly, you don't want to shoot them anyway.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,062
I believe bear stray coming across the boarder is illegal as well. not sure though
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,688
Quote:
After reading the NON-RESIDENT FIREARM DECLARATION sheet it looks like I can legally cross into Canada with a legal pistol or rifle. The gun I will bring has a barrel length longer than 4.1 inches is a 45 caliper semi automatic and is therefore legal according to the Canada government.

I have camped all over the US in Grizzly and Black bear areas and have never had a problem with wild life in camp. I know not to eat close to my tent, discard all garbage in a bear proof container, etc. I have always carried a pistol with me on my camping rides in America but have never crossed into Canada. What I was looking for in this post was from those that have/do cross the US/Canada boarder with a legal gun and how much trouble it may or may not be to do so.

p.s. I also carry DAP Bear Spray, Boat Horn and a 12 Gauge Flare Pistol and therefore sleep real good at night.
Alrighty then.

Please let us know when you try, I think it will be fun to watch.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #24
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:

You need to go back again and read what was posted. Canada is not like the US, which is real heavy on rules and regulations. Up here police and customs have huge personal discretion as to how they do things. Ignoring rules in place of common sense has been upheld by our Supreme Courts over and over again.

Aside from the fact that you still need a second nearly impossible to get form, a handgun is a handgun, and an extra inch or two on the barrel is not going to turn it into a long gun in the eyes of the authorities. If you pull that cannon out at the border "but it's ok, I read it on the internet that it was legal!" you're going to have an interesting experience, I can tell you that.

You would likely be fine with a rifle or shotgun.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #25
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:

Here you go:
Canadian Border Services: 1-204-983-3500
The RCMP may be another useful tel call.

Even if you get it into the Country, you will not be allowed to keep it 'accessible'. It will need to be kept locked up and out of sight (with any ammo kept away from it). BTW, there are also restrictions on bringing ammo into the country - they may let you in with the handgun, but unless you are heading to a shooting competition, your ammo will likely not be allowed.

You cannot open carry, conceal carry, whatever carry with a pistol ... unless your goal is getting arrested. If you are sitting at your remote campsite with your loaded (or even unloaded) pistol beside you for protection and a forest ranger happens to come by - you are going to have an uncomfortable sleep sitting in a holding cell. You may want to check with them on the Bear Spray and flare pistol as well ...

R_Rick screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 04:59 AM
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,254
When in Rome.....

Really not much to be afraid of up here, except the 4-wheeled variety.
In any case have a good safe ride and trip.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #27
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
I believe bear stray coming across the boarder is illegal as well. not sure though
wait, are you talking about stray bears, or bear spray?

I know for a fact, (albeit as a resident of canada), that BEAR spray, marked as BEAR SPRAY, is fine if you declare it. It can not be on your hip, or in a reasonably 'quick draw' place when you are crossing the border, as it could be considered a weapon. Do not attempt to bring pepper spray, defense spray, or mace across, it must be labeled as Bear Spray.

My experience is from living in the Yukon Territory for almost 20 years, and frequently going to alaska to camp, fish, prospect, moto, river raft, etc. going in to the states, they don't care that you have bear spray. coming back in to canada, you have to tell them, I have Bear Spray in the trunk, or I have Bear spray at the bottom of this pannier. If it is secured, they may ask you some questions about it, but they will let you through with it. They may ask to see it, they may ask to see EVERYTHING you have, being you are a yank, and quite possibly could have a firearm.

Luck of the draw.

My advice? cross the border with nothing of this nature. as soon as you cross, make a B-Line to canadian tire (like a menard's, or cabellas), and buy your bear spray, flares, or whatever else you think you might need.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #28
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
You can buy it at Canadian Tire. Probably less hassle to do so than to bring it over the border. I know that Canadian labeling requirements are different than those in the US. The product must be clearly labeled as for use against animals, not people. If it's for use against people, it's restricted. If you use bear or dog spray against humans, it's considered as grave an offense as attacking them with a knife or a gun.

Oops, too slow on the draw. . .
Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #29
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Even residents need to get an ATT (authorization to transport) form and we can really only carry them between home and a range.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #30
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,425
OP is any of the above registering with you? You are getting all the information you require. If you are convinced you need a firearm, you will not be able to bring your .45. You might consider a break down rifle.

Pertinent reading for the statistically inclined...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

DW

RumRunner screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 10:29 AM
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote