Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #46
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
It's a simple process that should be easy, but with too many people in the chain of command who don't know where to find the rulebook it becomes almost impossible. Transporting it yourself should not be any more complicated than having it shipped by courier, but it is.

You've chosen the best option, don't bother. You won't need it until you get to Alaska anyway, where you can get one at any corner store.

You won't need it in AK either unless you try and go shoulder to shoulder salmon fishing with them. If your plan is a motorcycle tour, it really ought not to be an issue. If you change your mind, there's plenty of places to pick one up. Alaskans love their guns and you can get them even at some grocery stores. If you coordinated with someone in state that was looking to buy something specific, you might be able to purchase one and sell it to them at a meet up before turning back.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
...., as nobody carries here except the cops.
Well not quite, but those outside LEO who do carry tend to mostly just shoot each other.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #48
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,829
Perpetual 205 "Bringing My Guns to Canada to Protect me from Bears, etc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
I love this thread...the same discusion comes up every year on many forums..... the result is always the same. Don't bring a gun into Canada. (but if you do, I am with Drift10 on this one and let me know where, I want to watch as well)

We don't have many stickies in the Canadian Forum but maybe the mods could take all of the civil parts out of the last 5 years of threads on this topic and make a nice sticky at the top of the forum.

I really appreciate our northern neighbours in Alaska coming over to lend a hand. It's sort of like the sane sibling of the family talking sense to their siblings who live south of the 49th :)

This year's poster does not fall into that category of spoiled sibling and it was refreshing to see the gentlemanly discussion on all sides.

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #49
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
We don't have many stickies in the Canadian Forum but maybe the mods could take all of the civil parts out of the last 5 years of threads on this topic and make a nice sticky at the top of the forum.

I really appreciate our northern neighbours in Alaska coming over to lend a hand. It's sort of like the sane sibling of the family talking sense to their siblings who live south of the 49th :)

This year's poster does not fall into that category of spoiled sibling and it was refreshing to see the gentlemanly discussion on all sides.
No worries, i just got done having this same discussion with my father, who's driving out here this spring. In a practical sense though, we're almost Canadian here in Haines and Skagway. We both have only one road and that's where it goes. We're sort of just dangling here off of BC's taint.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #50
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Gun must be stored with the trigger locked inside a locked box. Ammo must be stored separately in a locked box. You need a permit to buy it, a permit to transport it and a permit to buy ammo. Each permit costs $$ and takes weeks, if not months. I have several friends who once had gun collections and who sold them after the new rules came into effect.

My advice if you really need a gun in Alaska, buy it there and sell it when you leave. It may be cheaper than shipping it to and from and will certainly be easier. Forget about trying to transport it through Canada.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #51
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
If you really want bear protection in Canada wait until you cross the border, go to Canadian Tire or any marine store and buy a flare pistol and as many flares as you want or can pack. I have lived in all parts of Canada and have owned flare guns for the last 30 years and can pretty well guarantee if you can set a bear on fire with a flare you have won, they really won't argue the toss when the flames are leaping up around them.
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #52
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowphil View Post
if you really want bear protection in canada wait until you cross the border, go to canadian tire or any marine store and buy a flare pistol and as many flares as you want or can pack. I have lived in all parts of canada and have owned flare guns for the last 30 years and can pretty well guarantee if you can set a bear on fire with a flare you have won, they really won't argue the toss when the flames are leaping up around them.

+1,,,,,,,
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote