Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
Now that your bike is out of the shop I look forward to your pictures and thoughts. Both Jesse and Touratech are being considered.
If Touratech had their "special set" available, or even Globescouts (look very nice and I'd probably choose before Touratech) had set with an exhaust cutout then I'd probably choose those over Jesse. Don't get me wrong, Jesses product is very nice and extremely heavy duty. I loved my bags on my last GS, but their customer service is downright frustrating.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
If Touratech had their "special set" available, or even Globescouts (look very nice and I'd probably choose before Touratech) had set with an exhaust cutout then I'd probably choose those over Jesse. Don't get me wrong, Jesses product is very nice and extremely heavy duty. I loved my bags on my last GS, but their customer service is downright frustrating.
Yep, I talked to Touratech and they are working on it, but the estimate is 4th qtr this year. That plus the fact they typically cost about $500.00 more than the asymmetrical set I can live without the symmetrical with the cutout on the exhaust side. Add to that you lose about 8 liters from the cut out bag you actually get a little more capacity from the standard set. Coming from Metal Mules on my F800GS I have enjoyed a pannier that is easy to load and no seal lip at the top. I still want to compare the Zega Pro with the Jesse. I have about 2 months till delivery so plenty of time to decide. Either way they both are good choices.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Based on timing I am going with the TT panniers. The Holan, GlobalScout, and Jesse look great, but TT are available at the dealer now. The rest are at least a month our for delivery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #19
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
Based on timing I am going with the TT panniers. The Holan, GlobalScout, and Jesse look great, but TT are available at the dealer now. The rest are at least a month our for delivery.

Availability is certainly a deciding factor for many. It was for me. I'm surprised the Touratech stuff is available though. I have some engine guards ordered and they are still in pre-order faze as is most the wethead stuff still.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #20
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I'm now thinking of the small BMW softbag 2, it's a fraction of the price of a vario, and also has a backrest. Anyone here using one?
Best value product from BMW at around $230 and I didn't have to by a new one for the LC! Only about 22l capacity but perfect for an overnight trip. I used two sets of the straps ( long and medium) and it was rock solid on a 1200km break in trip. Didn't have a pillion for that trip but have used them extensively with a pillion who says the back rest is very comfortable.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I have the BMW GSA aluminum boxes on my '09 R12GS and I have always liked them. The attachment to the bike has been secure and the boxes work well. I have RKA soft bags inside them and they have also worked well and are a good value compared to alternatives.

But, aluminum boxes are heavy -- that the BMW GSA boxes are not available for the LC R1200GS as yet and probably won't be for another year or longer.

I have Wolfman side racks and Rocky Mountain soft bags on my '11 F650GS twin and I like the set up. Much less expensive than aluminum cases and much much lighter. The are 32 liters each. They allow adding a one gallon Rotopax (fuel or water, your choice) between the rack and sidebag.

I think I'd like to add that set up to my LC R12GS (once it arrives) but of course they don't make side racks for the LC as yet. I contacted Berg Briggs (he makes the racks for Wolfman) and offered to ride my bike to him so that he could use it as an examplar to fab up racks and he is agreeable.

So, once I get the bike and put the initial 600 miles on it, I then plan to ride to Berg. 900 miles each way but should be a fun ride.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Availability is certainly a deciding factor for many. It was for me. I'm surprised the Touratech stuff is available though. I have some engine guards ordered and they are still in pre-order faze as is most the wethead stuff still.
I have this gut feeling that engine bars are going to be arriving soon. Call it a hunch;)

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
I have this gut feeling that engine bars are going to be arriving soon. Call it a hunch;)
Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
paco fernandez
Mexico

Oddometer: 64

More pics.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/644957278855187/

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD
paco fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

I see the pics, but I don't know what you're saying. What mount is that? Custom or bought?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post

I ordered the Jesse bags for my wife's '08 back then, but the mounts seemed generic. Maybe they weren't but I seem to remember a couple dozen washers, etc. so we just put the Varios on at that time. Then this year I have a '12 GS so we ordered the TT standard bags for both bikes. The hardware is great, mounts right up to the bikes without any adjustments, etc. As do the TT safety bars that we also ordered. Good stuff.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
I just don't think the wait will be that much longer
I wouldn't compromise my supply by giving away my source

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
I just don't think the wait will be that much longer
I wouldn't compromise my supply by giving away my source
Last week, pretty much all the wethead stuff was still "pre-order" only on their website. I just looked, and quite a bit of it is showing "in stock" now. Of course, the engine bars are still pre-order, but it must mean good things.

Out of curiosity, did you order upper bars too? Seeing as you seem to have a connection, I'd really like to see better pics than the one that Touratech has on their website. I only ordered the lower set.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #29
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Damn those things make a beautiful bike butt ugly. What I have always loved about BMW luggage going all the way back to the 1150 is that; at the end of the day they pop right off and you can carry them into your hotel room just like a pair of suitcases. I would never give up that convenience for the sake of top loading. That and the fact that when they're off the bike it doesn't look like scaffolding has been applied to the rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
Slacker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Damn those things make a beautiful bike butt ugly. What I have always loved about BMW luggage going all the way back to the 1150 is that; at the end of the day they pop right off and you can carry them into your hotel room just like a pair of suitcases. I would never give up that convenience for the sake of top loading. That and the fact that when they're off the bike it doesn't look like scaffolding has been applied to the rear end.
That's a good point about the ease of removal and the suitcase ease once removed. My primary concern is that they seem fragile.
Then again the cheap Givi's that came with my present bike (V-Strom) have held up well so maybe durability shouldn't be my primary concern and function should.

After all I don't normally leave the boxes on the bike.
Slacker2 is offline   Reply With Quote