Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #91
NeelsK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Since I haven't seen much soft luggage yet ....

NeelsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #92
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Looks great! I just ordered a Holan topbox and will be ordering the adventure rack (which it looks like you have) with topcase mount as well from Advmotorrad. I will want the side panniers eventually but I definitely need the topcase for my commute.
Thanks! Yes, I have the adventure rack mounted on and have moved my soft bag onto it for now (until my top case & mounting plate comes in).

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #93
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,468
I've always wondered so I'll ask here:

Why don't the aftermarket pannier folks use the OEM pannier mounts?

I can only assume that it's some kind of patient thing but then we get into the versatility of some of the newer and universal pannier mounts available and it makes me wonder if that's the case.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #94
schisi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
I've always wondered so I'll ask here:

Why don't the aftermarket pannier folks use the OEM pannier mounts?

I can only assume that it's some kind of patient thing but then we get into the versatility of some of the newer and universal pannier mounts available and it makes me wonder if that's the case.
I don't think there is a patent issue with using the same mount points (TT for example uses the same upper mount points, but ok they have special deals with BMW anyway), but there migth be a patent on the locking mechanism of the vario cases.

Another reason might be, that many 3rd party vendors sell their panniers as "expedition luggage" systems. I personally believe that the fix mounted systems are much more robust, even can protect the bike and the rider.

However, I agree... there should be at least one brave vendor out there that creates us a nice looking, narrow, easily removable aluminium pannier system for the original mounts :-)
schisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #95
TheZipster
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Has anyone heard or seen a luggage set up similar to the BMW Adventure cases? I just sold my 09 GS to get ready to take delivery of the new one and I have my current adventure cases that I am bummed that I cant use them nor is there anything out there that is similar. I really like the way they attach and, more importantly, like that they look symmetrical.
TheZipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #96
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbcoach View Post
Here is my set-up as delivered by the dealer. Like the expandable feature, top case has back pad for the wife that maks her happy. I liked the top lid feature of ones on my '09 but these work well...

I may get some flack for this, but I just think the Vario cases look the best on these bikes. Touratech comes in 2nd place. For myself, I'll definitely be going with a Vario top case, and I'm debating between vario side panniers or touratech side panniers. I just like that varios mount to the existing mounting system.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #97
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
This is how I roll usually.

I prefer the hard cases since I can lock them.
That's how I rolled on my 05 and how Im gunna roll on my 13
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #98
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I may get some flack for this, but I just think the Vario cases look the best on these bikes. Touratech comes in 2nd place. For myself, I'll definitely be going with a Vario top case, and I'm debating between vario side panniers or touratech side panniers. I just like that varios mount to the existing mounting system.
As far as looks, I think the Varios do look good and especially like the clean appearance when the cases aren't on the bike. The extra protection from a strong side mounts isn't a bad trade off though.

I've used quite a few side loading and top loading cases and like top loading much better. My wife is quite happy with side loading cases and likes the look of Varios on her bike. Personal preference just like colour choice of the bike I suppose.

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #99
Aggroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hi alls, just wanna hijack this thread, I am gonna recieve my long awaited gsw n I'm in a dilemma on which top case to get. I am looking to get the vario top case but they hv been riders who say the too case can fly on its own. Can someone clarify on that?

If I don't get the vario top case then wat abt givi trek 52?

Please help!!!:

Live to ride
Aggroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #100
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroman View Post
Hi alls, just wanna hijack this thread, I am gonna recieve my long awaited gsw n I'm in a dilemma on which top case to get. I am looking to get the vario top case but they hv been riders who say the too case can fly on its own. Can someone clarify on that?

If I don't get the vario top case then wat abt givi trek 52?

Please help!!!:

Live to ride
Can you clarify what you mean by "the too case can fly on its own"?

The cases work fine in my case and stabilty is maintained till about 120mph (depending upon winds).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #101
Aggroman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by "the too case can fly on its own"?

The cases work fine in my case and stabilty is maintained till about 120mph (depending upon winds).
Sorry. Typo error... I meant the top case can fly.

Live to ride
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #102
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
You mean the top case can become loose and fly off. I think the locking system is pretty good, and had the impression that it was updated at some time. Before this update, I think folks used to run a couple bolts and nuts thru the rack and case bottom.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #103
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I decided on the Touratech Pro at the strong recommendation of my dealer. He and his shop are GSperts and do a lot of off-road and desert riding. Strength of the boxes and rack were the reason for the recommendation. They are wiiiide, but I will mostly use the side cases for longish trips. I will use a top case (not arrived yet) around town. I though I would be offended by the rack, but it look surprisingly natural.

I am very happy with the capacity, quality, and construction. A low speed get off on the dirt only resulted in scratched to the lower (replaceable) plastic bit.

Recommended
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #104
Aggroman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
You mean the top case can become loose and fly off. I think the locking system is pretty good, and had the impression that it was updated at some time. Before this update, I think folks used to run a couple bolts and nuts thru the rack and case bottom.
Thanks for the clarification. This kinda put my mind at ease getting it. Cause here in Singapore, it is the cheapest option without waiting 2-3 mths. Thanks all who has helped. :)

Live to ride
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #105
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
I decided on the Touratech Pro at the strong recommendation of my dealer. He and his shop are GSperts and do a lot of off-road and desert riding. Strength of the boxes and rack were the reason for the recommendation. They are wiiiide, but I will mostly use the side cases for longish trips. I will use a top case (not arrived yet) around town. I though I would be offended by the rack, but it look surprisingly natural.

I am very happy with the capacity, quality, and construction. A low speed get off on the dirt only resulted in scratched to the lower (replaceable) plastic bit.

Recommended
My dealer recomended the vario's (and so did I). Just a question of preferences. My bike is used often in busy city trafic and highways splitting lanes. A few inches more or less can make a big difference.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote