ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Rampart Range Road for dirt biking.

Hi,

I'm new to the area. I've heard that there is Rampart Range Road riding place for Dirt bike riding.

Had anyone ride there?
Can you offer any information (difficulty level (I'm a beginner), how crowded is it, parking ...)

Thank you.
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,474
Ilyaon,

My name is Rod and I am a member of the Rampart Range Motorized Management Committee (former President and former VP of the club)

Rampart Range or "Rampart" is probably the most used (if not overused) OHV area in the state. It's an easy 40 minute drive from Denver and less from Castle Rock so it sees a lot of traffic. Lots of camping (not remote) and you'll see a lot of traffic of all types and all abilities. Lots of people on weekends (often several hundred at peak times), sometimes you have the place to yourself on weekdays.

Most of the system (over 120 miles of trails) is "multiple use" meaning it's ATV wide. ALL of the trails are 2 way. This is important to remember as you do need to be watchful and careful as there is likely traffic coming the other way.

Trail difficultiy is mostly easy to moderate, but since the trails are mostly decomposed granite (pea gravel) even the easy trails can have some challenge to newer riders. Because it is so heavily used, the trails have a lot of "whoops". Even though we run a SWECO trail dozer 9 months of the year out there, you can only groom the trails so much.

There is currently one section of Singletrack open, it is a more advanced trail on the south end called "Skeleton". An additional 15 miles of singletrack will open early summer (we have two more miles to complete). Once that is open we will move to rerouting Devils Slide and returning it to a single track route. Eventually, we will have around 50 miles of Singletrack, but it's a long process. THese new trails are built by hand, using volunteers and the Mile High Youth Corps and funded by your OHV stickers and the Forest Service.

Trail Maps are available at most any bike dealer. There will be new maps coming this summer/fall as well that will include a lot of the new trail (but not all of it, we're still building!) This will be a total overhaul of the maps (the RRMMC is spending around 10K to do this).

You can find information about Rampart and the RRMMC at http://www.rampartrange.org

The RRMMC is also on Facebook if you search Rampart Range Motorized Management Committee.

Ther Rampart trails are currently CLOSED by the Forest Service while the snow melts to prevent trail damage during mud season.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester

Rodzilla screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 10:12 AM
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,251
When talking Rampart Range Rd it can be confusing, this is the Dirt area located on North rampart Range Rd:
http://goo.gl/maps/gFJfc

If I talk about Rampart Range I tend to talk the Jeep area and area around Mt Herman & Rampart Range Rd. Remember Rampart Range Rd is almost 100 miles long. Which for the most part you need plated then to be on Rampart Range Rd or Mt Herman Rd but you can have a sticker for the side trails like FR315, FR322, FR300V & U. again all Jeep routes.

Also connected into the North Rampart Range area is Rainbow Falls, which connects by way of ATV trail 650. Which is very long so a very large tank is a must. This is the parking for Rainbow Falls http://goo.gl/maps/yJJUf

This is Skeleton Trail which is a new single track. I don't know your skill level, I took an XR650R through there multiple times but its tight and would be difficult to a new rider even on a smaller bike. http://goo.gl/maps/OT8LD
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,251
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,244
Riding of all difficulty levels there.

Don't go there on the weekends. If you do, take RRR about 10 miles south. Place is a fustercluck with weekend warriors. Awesome on weekday evenings, that's when I do most of my riding.

650's not *that* long. I burn about 1.5gal of fuel from my house in Littleton all the way to Woodland Park taking 650. Awesome day ride, and once you're through the north part of rampart there's hardly any trail traffic.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Remember Rampart Range Rd is almost 100 miles long.

It's about half that....from hwy 67 parking area down to Garden of the Gods it's about 55 miles.

For a new-ish rider new to the area, watching for oncoming riders is a biggie.
If you can hit the area on a Friday, all the better.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Get ready for this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McShs1ljYVc
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

Rampart after a rain is the best... I've had many a good day riding there while/after it rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
I've been riding there consistently for the last 6 years and never had that happen. You have to be aware and know where to ride depending on the day of the week and time. That could happen anywhere.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
I've been riding there consistently for the last 6 years and never had that happen. You have to be aware and know where to ride depending on the day of the week and time. That could happen anywhere.
Yes, you where to avoid as do I. The new rider who started this thread doesn't. Of course it can happen anywhere...you can run into someone in a hallway and bust an elbow. But when it's busy, Rampart Range really is a complete zoo and there's only so much you can do to avoid getting run into beyond completely avoiding the area. It probably has more offroad accidents than any other OHV area in the state...Rod, would you agree? In video I posted, the rider who had the camera had no where to go...he could have cut left but then he could have gotten t-boned by the oncoming rider. He couldn't go right, the fence was blocking him. He could have stopped...he probably tried to. Long story short, it was all the oncoming riders fault (riding down the center of the trail, probably going too fast) and sometimes you just can't dodge a bullet unless you're not at the gunfight.

To original poster, ilyaon: I would literally avoid riding there all Friday-Sunday, period. Do yourself a favor and go on a Tuesday...anytime, it'll be almost all yours as Rod said. As for where to avoid...stay away from the north end especially if you must go on the weekend. Also, you'd be better off riding in the Rainbow Falls OHV area (Woodland Park) as a beginner (easier trails, easier navigation)...not to mention that riding area is actually open right now unlike Rampart Range.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Thank you all for so much information and safety warnings you've provided.
I do appreciate you input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
To original poster, ilyaon: I would literally avoid riding there all Friday-Sunday, period. Do yourself a favor and go on a Tuesday...anytime, it'll be almost all yours as Rod said. As for where to avoid...stay away from the north end especially if you must go on the weekend. Also, you'd be better off riding in the Rainbow Falls OHV area (Woodland Park) as a beginner (easier trails, easier navigation)...not to mention that riding area is actually open right now unlike Rampart Range.
Sig_Sour, thank you for suggestion. My work schedule allows me to ride on the week days, and that what I'm planning to do. Rampart Range is closer, but it's nice to know that it gets quite crazy on the weekends.
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,474
How do I know, I don't ride there!

Yes there probably are more collisions out there that other areas. But it also sees about 10x more traffic than any other area as well.

Rampart is what it is. Sure it's not the Prime Rib of Taylor or Sargents, but it is a gem as far as an OHV area within and hour of two major metropolitan areas and I can tell you the folks from Neb and KS would kill to have a "Rampart" in their area.

The widening of the trails over the years by the ATV crowd has not helped as it promotes more speed. At the same time people need to be at least somewhat responsible. People still insist on hauling the mail around blind corners.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
Rampart is what it is. Sure it's not the Prime Rib of Taylor or Sargents, but it is a gem as far as an OHV area within and hour of two major metropolitan areas
When I moved here from the desert I had an XR650R, and rode Rampart a lot for a few years.

It's a lot like what we had back in Redding, but more of it (and more people) - and a lot easier to get to. I was amazed a city the size of Denver had a trail system like that so close.
The crowds and knucklehead factor saw me find less crowded places to ride, but it was still a good close place to go set up a new bike.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,244
and ricky-racer out there thinkin the place is his own personal race track
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,097
Come do the poker run. It's the only two days of the year when the trails are "almost" one way.

That's when the ricky racers really come out.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Come do the poker run. It's the only two days of the year when the trails are "almost" one way.

That's when the ricky racers really come out.
I had to Google that....

Ricky Racer: An expression usually used by old folks, for one who has to drive fast, everywhere.
"Slow down ricky racer, the offramp is coming up, and I have to empty my colostomy bag!"

I'll be there, but will definitely let the Ricky Racer's get an early start.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is online now   Reply With Quote