User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Thatch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Options for a new bike - or 'How can I clone my current bike?'

Yes, it's another 'which bike should I buy?' thread. It seems that I may be returning to the states (currently live and work in Germany) for a longer more involved project than normal. The length of time is such that I'll need to sort out permanent transportation and a motorcycle is a great option simply because it can easily be stored in either a coworkers garage or in a storage unit when I am out of country.

I believe I want to go with a new bike simply because I won't have the ability to set up a workspace so I can't really afford to inherit someone else problem. Also, not having to spend time to find a particular used bike in good enough condition would be a big plus. Finally, I'm 6'6" and a good 250 so I hesitate getting anything much smaller than 1000 cc if for no other reason than the overall size of the bikes below that tend to be too small and I feel cramped on them.

To address the last part of my thread title "How can I clone my current bike?" I have two bikes right now, a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird which while I love it I spent a lot of time customizing it and getting it right for me and create an individual look. I've no desire or time to do that again and don't really want another cruiser. I'd much rather have something with at least modest dual purpose use. My second bike however is the one I want to clone, it's a Moto Morini Scrambler. My god I love that bike. It's a ridiculous hooligan bike that is just so much fun, 120 hp in a 400lb V-twin on knobbies. It looks great, sounds great and can do anything I want to do on a bike, but.... not available in the states. If it were I'd buy another one in a heartbeat (or maybe the Granpasso as it is got the same powerplant in a similar weight frame but with some more practical options) but it's not, so what to get.

On the dual purpose front there are several big bikes available in the BMW 1200 and Triumph Explorer realm but they're awfully big, awfully heavy and just don't have the 'fun factor'... leaving me sitting on the bike, wishing it were the scrambler almost constantly. The Tiger 800 is nice but I have a buddy who has one and I felt awfully cramped on that bike. The 2 piece seat caused me problems, pushing me further forward that my legs wanted to allow. It might be sortable, but my initial reaction to the fit wasn't good (otherwise it seems like a great bike, not quite scrambler level of performance, but quite capable) A lot of the other bikes of the class are just too underpowered or heavy to be fun with the possible exception of the 990 KTM (or even the coming 1190).

Outside of dual purpose there are a number of options but I do like / need an upright seating position. I'll need to probably put some sort of bags on whatever I ride just to haul some gear. Finally I tend to gravitate heavily towards European bikes and while I won't rule out the Japanese bikes as there is certainly a good argument to be made for their practicality there aren't a lot that excite me (at least that are available stateside). Basically I'd like to find that sweet spot between fun and practical, that's big enough to deal with my size, trail capable if possible.

So, sorry for the long post, just trying to narrow the focus some (though I'm not sure how successful I was at that). I'd love to hear suggestions.
Thatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 755
Hast du schon 'ne 990 ausprobiert?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
Good luck with that.
Can I borrow your scrambler?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Big KTM 990 or 1190. Multistrada 1200s. Ride one of each, they're both great bikes, the Multi is up about 40hp on the KTM. I like my 950SM, but they are old now (2006). Some fun looking and ridiing stuff out there. Tuono V4, haven't ridden one yet, but Pro-Italia said next time I came in, I could ride one (it was raining that day, don't want to test ride a 150hp bike in the rain).
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
About the only midsize dualsports over here are the SV1000, Triumph tiger and BMW f-800. I would steer ya towards one of the sudo super motos like Aprilia Dorsoduro, Ducati Hyperstrata/Hypermotard too. There keep being rumors about Moto Morini coming here??? I think I saw a couple at the Triumph/Aprilia dealer yesterday????

Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatch View Post
(or even the coming 1190).
You already know the answer.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Ducati Multistrada 1200?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4lYBlxItk
Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,012
Any large cruiser, with forward controls. Lots of room to stretch out.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #9
Thatch OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply guys. In writing out my thoughts a few bikes did come to mind, many of which you mentioned. I do need to take some time and go check out the Ducati Hypers and Multi as they have a lot of promise. I just wish I liked the look of them a bit more as everything I've read so far shows them as brilliant bikes. The Multi sounds like a great all-rounder. I do need to check out the new F-800, the old one was a pig but the added power might change that.

No interest in a cruiser. I have one, arguably one of the best on the market. I love it for what it is but I want something both more fun and utilitarian, and looks as good dirty as it does clean.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I didnt like the Multistrada at first, but it has grown on me. Its almost four bikes in one.
Its more like a sport adventure. Take a look at the Pikes peak version.
A cheaper option which is more a roadbike then offroad is the Triumph Tiger 1050 sport. The Triumphs triple engine is fantastic
Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Any large cruiser, with forward controls. Lots of room to stretch out.
You know what would be great? If you actually read his first post. Pay particular attention to the part where he said he's not interested in another cruiser.

Your shtick is old and tired, but I appreciate your brevity for a change. Thank heaven for small favors.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
You know what would be great? If you actually read his first post. Pay particular attention to the part where he said he's not interested in another cruiser.

Your shtick is old and tired, but I appreciate your brevity for a change. Thank heaven for small favors.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Thatch OP
Adventurer

Obviously some history I'm not aware of... but yeah, I don't see the point of two cruisers, even if the reside on different continents, unless it was one of the pseudo-cruisers like a Diavel or Vmax (neither of which are cruisers in my book, but they keep using the term with them so...) While I would forgo my 'modest dual purpose' requirement for a bike like these, their range is stupid short which makes them painful for daily drivers in my opinion. If the ridiculous MT-01 was available stateside I might even do something like that. It and the Vmax are a couple of the few Japanese bikes I really like. Not very practical mind you, but too much practicality has no place in motorcycle purchases. But it is best to have at least modest trail ability as my work sometimes involves field work in out of the way places.

As for borrowing the scrambler.... everyone should have a go on a modern Morini. They really are something else. Not the best for the 'every electronic gizmo and farkle' crowd, but for the 'back to basics well engineered bike with a seriously good power plant' crowd they don't get much better in my opinion. I do hope they finally make it back to the states, but I'm not sure I'd put money on it.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Hp2?

Not available new of course, but sounds like it might suit otherwise:

195 kg wet, decent power, unique Euro offering in a sea of look-alike GS and V-Stroms
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #15
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatch View Post

Yes, it's another 'which bike should I buy?' thread.

I'd love to hear suggestions.

K12/1300R?

It ticks off some of your boxes:

*Roomy

*Hooligan

*Unique

*Beautiful in that "so-ugly-it's-beautiful-way" that BMW excels at

*Great all-rounder

*Awesome sound

*Good ergos for city or touring

*Wide bars help to make it nimbler than expected

You could take it on gravel roads etc, but it doesn't remotely qualify as "trail capable".

I'd guess you could find a used one at a dealer w/ a limited warranty.

Might require a bit of a fly-n-ride.

Have a look at one and let us hear what you think!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote