User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Brian_BKK OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
The Missing Link Thailand - Sangkhlaburi to Umphang and back! - Redux

Fantastic trip report from Tony already.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...phang-and-back!

Captured the vibe of our trip so well..

Few pics from along the way from me below.
It certainly was like the UN.. American, Thai / Karen, Japanese, Russian and last but not least Aussie..

We met up with the Thai guys at a fabulous view point..

This guy was just sitting back relaxed watching the carry on...

Off along the trails we go.. Trent taking in some shade..

It wasn't long before it became rocky and steep.. A lot of fun and very challenging
Tony helping Jack.. He has a big load for a little guy on a little bike.. eg carrying our dinner and other supplies..

One of our Thai friends passing up the rocky hill.

Sir Trent Crashalot..

GT-Rider Style

Why me?

Mike and Jack with a good view point for pics and to help when needed.

What goes up must come down... It was steep, loose and lots of leaves with a big rut at the bottom.

[video=youtube;BkHtktvsfrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHtktvsfrQ[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHtktvsfrQ

After we made it down.. expecting the carnage to follow.. we positioned ourselves for the optimum photo locations

Here is some more video of the guys going up and coming back down the rocky and steep hill.
[video=youtube;ygWLu1eTZo0]http://youtu.be/ygWLu1eTZo0[/video]
http://youtu.be/ygWLu1eTZo0

Onwards we go.. after arriving late.. we pull up at the ranger gate...

The sun is setting and we need to get to the camp site.. 30 mins ride to go..

A lot of fun and the Thai guys know how to eat on a biking trip.

"The Bangkok Weekend Warriors"

Khun Nui, what a fantastic fella. Looking after everyone..

Some of us should sleep in a little longer ;-)

The view from our 5 star room

The wardrobe laid out for the next day..

More sleepy heads.. The bamboo floor was not bad compared to the hard wood clinic floor the next night.

After a load of three in one coffees from boiled creek water.. Time for the off again.

First the " The Bangkok Weekend Warriors' and Jack wait for the rest to catch up at the intersection..
As Tony mentioned in his mega, hang on for the ride report... Amazingly there are signs on these trees.. very helpful if you can read Thai ;-)

This guy is a good rider.. The one that balances his helmet on his head all day.. If I remember correctly he is in North Bangkok and would like to meet up for a ride.
We had so many offers to ride with the Thai guys.. Definitely will take up the offer near Kanchanaburi town.. Great to have local knowledge and more trails for the weekend getaways.

This was very slippery to get up on our 50 50 tyres.

That river crossing.. More on this with dropped bikes in the video further up..
Khun Nui excited like everyone else.. we were all having so much fun.. Hot and fun.

Sir Trentcrashalot,, Taking it easy after helping most people over the river.. Tony and Gene cooling off and Jack going walkabout.

Next more fantastic trails. So lovely and great riding. You ride along and this sign appears.. The Thai guys said this is the border..
Now I wonder.. Why here and not a million other places along the trail too..

The ESRI map is really good. some big green spots.. but also a lot of trails on the map..
Amazing how close you are to the border, the trails ends on the map and white.. If you proceed you are in Burma..
Guess the locals in this area don't really see or feel International borders.. Just some imaginary line..

The grass was tall.. Not sure what type of seeds, but when you rode through them they turn in to powder..
If you breathe in the next thing you can't swallow for about 4 attempts as they suck all the moisture in your mouth..
A bit of burning off here and some slippery dead grass to ride over on the side of the mountains
[/URL]

Drinks break..

Cute kids near the drinks stop.

Mike kindly asking if we can have a family shot..

Must do a Jurgen here and next trip take the photo for them..

We stop further on at a village right on the border.. Even a village this size no mobile phone coverage.

First time I have ever been 3 days with out mobile signal.. Not even this long in the most remote areas with Rex and others has it been this long with this distance covered.

We take up half the high street..

5 baht for what ever he was selling..

Getting ready for the New Year celebrations

Helping protect Thailand's borders.

Time to ride back about 20 km to the refugee clinic. Where there is a fantastic waterfall and we get to sleep on a hard wooden floor.
[/URL]

If you look closely in the pic above.. You can see the dust ahead from fellow GT-Rider Sir Trent Crashalot.

Off to the refugee clinic.. makes you realise how good we have life..
Every time you think life is tough or not so good.. You don't need to look to far to see otherwise.

Asked who sponsors the clinic.. Had a reply.. David from America..

The main clinic building

When I walked in here.. a needle was being administered.. needless to say no pic of that..

This room looks less than appealing to most of us. A godsend to someone sick that needs treatment.

The treatment provided

Unloading the bikes for the day

Quite a tricky path to the waterfall

Jack our guide at the waterfall.
The Thai guys said that 1 in a million Thais visit this waterfall in one year.. Because it is so remote and out of the way.. Well worth the visit.
The clinic had power generated by this waterfall..
[/URL]

The ' Bangkok Weekend Warriors' in all their off-road glory.. Cool refreshing waterfall at the end of day 2 of the ride..

Our digs for the night.. Happy for the roof over the head.. but a bamboo floor would have felt like luxury..

Night...

The largest Asian Elephant I have ever seen.. In fact we all pretty much agreed that..
Such a majestic animal. Must be very old to be this size. Also looks well feed and kept.

Time to cross the river......... yikes...

Mike and co setting off...

Sir Trent Crashalot (luckily not Sinkalot) and Tony.

Mike looking very relaxed.. Just another voyage.

Khun Somkid's Photo.

Mikes broken frame...
[/URL]

[/URL]

Jack doing a bamboo jungle fix for the trusty KLX..

Love the scratching of the head look.. Will this work, really??

After great craftsmanship in sculpturing the bamboo.. Time to put humpty back together again..

Along the way.. the rest of us suffered wear and tear to the bikes....

The last obstacle for the day.... Drag the bikes on the ground under this..

Stay tuned for the rest of Tony's report when he is back from holidays..

You really need to do this trip with Jack.. Jack is a legend.. Great guy and doubt you will get through this area by yourself
Besides. it is fun to have Jack take you around and if you are lucky like us.. You will get to ride with a great bunch of Thai guys..

Big thanks to Mike for inviting us.. Amazing what you can all do with 24 hrs notice..
Literally had my new (second hand) pick-up delivered at mid night.. and loaded and on the road the next afternoon with mine and Mike's bikes.

4 wheels for my 2 wheels and a mates two wheels as well.

Cheers
Brian
Brian_BKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
PG007
AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer: 319
COMPLETED -The Umpung Tung Yai Naresuan jungle track

We did this ride in 2012 - its a really great 2 day ride one way, with one night camping in the jungle right on the Myanmar border (literally!).

It's too long to copy over, the story is in the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...gle-track.html

If you're in the area and like trail riding contact Jack.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Thanx, Looks hardcore; I know, I've slept on the hardwood . . . . .

Jungle ride looks best suited to (very) small thumpers ? ? ? ? ?

Thanks for the post and links; I'd love to ride there in future.

Need to return to Thailand sometime soon.

Thanks again for posting up and the linky . . . . . .

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote