ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #211
cleanerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Tellico Grains

Our "group" that comes in the area each year always eats at the Bakery. We stay at the Tuskeegee Motel north of Robbinsville and use that as our base of operations. The Skyway is on the route each year so we end up in Tellico Plains.

We have never been disappointed in the food or service.

XT250 2009
DL650 2011
Gl1800 2008
cleanerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #212
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanerman View Post
Our "group" that comes in the area each year always eats at the Bakery. We stay at the Tuskeegee Motel north of Robbinsville and use that as our base of operations. The Skyway is on the route each year so we end up in Tellico Plains.

We have never been disappointed in the food or service.
Come over on the 16th and put some faces on those web I.D.s.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #213
cleanerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Will try to make it.

XT250 2009
DL650 2011
Gl1800 2008
Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #214
cleanerman
Gnarly Adventurer

East Tennessee

Great barn.

Glad I beat the rain

Crops apear to be doing well.

XT250 2009
DL650 2011
Gl1800 2008
Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #215
woesten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Sorry I'm bailing on the lunch, but as it stands, I'm moving out of state later this week to take a job. I guess I need to go down and ride the dragon at least once, heh.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #216
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by woesten View Post
Sorry I'm bailing on the lunch, but as it stands, I'm moving out of state later this week to take a job. I guess I need to go down and ride the dragon at least once, heh.
Job = good thing. Almost any other state = bad thing. The Dragon is overrated.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #217
cleanerman
Gnarly Adventurer

woesten You are in Baneberry? Just jump on SR32 and ride to Waterville. It will make your day. Good luck in your new job.

XT250 2009
DL650 2011
Gl1800 2008
Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #218
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 250
Which bike should I bring to Tellico Grains?

There hasn't been much discussion on where we will be riding after lunch.
So I can't decide which bike I should bring to Tellico Grains.

Option #1 2013 Honda CRF250L

Con's
1. 2 gallon gas tank limited range of 80 miles to be safe
2. not enough power to overtake a slow moving vehicle or keep up with faster bikes.

Option #2 2011 Honda NT700V

Con's
1. oil filter is in a horrible location could very easily get damaged on a gravel road.
2. horrible suspension for riding off pavement and it's heavier than a BMW 1200 GS. I got lucky in this picture it would not have been fun to turn the bike around.

Also this is more Important What time is this event at? I have seen 10:30 to 11:00 and I have seen 12:00.

RUSTINPEACE screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 09:03 PM
RUSTINPEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #219
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

I plan on showing up around 11:00- 11:15. I don't have a DS bike any longer, so I think I take a ride to Bald River Falls after a snack at the bakery. I'm hoping the falls will be at full capacity from all the rain we've had of late. Then head for home via hwy 360...that's my plan for what it's worth. All who want to do that are welcome to join me.

Kyle might have a more extensive DS area ride planned after the meet up. Since there is limited seating at the bakery, it might be prudent to stage rides in the Farm House Inn parking lot one block over. Is that an option,, Kyle?

My guess some folks will ride the CS while in the area...simply gorgeous.

For a great view Buck Bald is a good spot for folks new to the area.

Witt road has five water crossings, also.

All will be discussed at the meet up, I'm sure.

I forgot to mention I'll be at Sloan's BP (hwy 411 & 360) in Vonore @ 10:15 and will stay for 10 minutes or so for anyone coming from that direction and want to hook up for the ride to Tellico Plains via hwy 360. Otherwise, see ya at Tellico Grains Bakery.

DragonNester screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 07:49 AM
DragonNester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 AM   #220
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 685
Tobes2102 and I wanted to check out some of the single track. We went for Trail 81. DON'T GO! Right now the trail is blocked in four places with fallen trees. one was fairly easy to get around, the other three not as much. Three over or around, and one under. The first tree we went over we lost control of his Husky 650 on the skid plate and it managed to slide down the tree a foot or two (which is a LOT on the steep slope) before we finally managed to drag it back up and get it over. Very soft loamy soil on this trail too. Not even a handlebar width under this tree, but we managed to shimmy them under. There is really not very many places to turn around and bail out of this trail either. Seems most of the blockages were toward the north end (one actually several hundred feet up the trail from McFarland Road is all. We rode from south to north and got a long way in before running across the trees. Thinking I might go back with chain saw and do some trail cleaning.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #221
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNester View Post
I plan on showing up around 11:00- 11:15. I don't have a DS bike any longer, so I think I take a ride to Ball River Falls after a snack at the bakery. I'm hoping the falls will be at full capacity from all the rain we've had of late. Then head for home via hwy 360...that's my plan for what it's worth. All who want to do that are welcome to join me.

Kyle might have a more extensive DS area ride planned after the meet up. Since there is limited seating at the bakery, it might be prudent to stage rides in the Farm House Inn parking lot one block over. Is that an option,, Kyle?

My guess some folks will ride the CS while in the area...simply gorgeous.

For a great view Buck Bald is a good spot for folks new to the area.

Witt road has five water crossings, also.

All will be discussed at the meet up, I'm sure.

I forgot to mention I'll be at Sloan's BP (hwy 411 & 360) in Vonore @ 10:15 and will stay for 10 minutes or so for anyone coming from that direction and want to hook up for the ride to Tellico Plains via hwy 360. Otherwise, see ya at Tellico Grains Bakery.

Assuming my plans don't get changed for me, I intend to be at Sloan's at 10:15.

After lunch, I'd be up for some modest DS'ing... up to the falls and around Bald River Rd and up to Buck Bald or wander around Citico... Nothing terribly long as I've got to be back home late afternoon for a b'day dinner.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #222
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Bagg'tard, have you checked the status of Trail 82 (considered to be easier than 81)? I don't think any volunteers have been organized to clear the trails since Mike Dozer and TMO went away. What a great resource, now gone. I know the forestry service has helped in the past, but probably need to be notified of the problems and where they are.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #223
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNester View Post
Bagg'tard, have you checked the status of Trail 82 (considered to be easier than 81)? I don't think any volunteers have been organized to clear the trails since Mike Dozer and TMO went away. What a great resource, now gone. I know the forestry service has helped in the past, but probably need to be notified of the problems and where they are.
I rode the section from Hwy 68 to Buck Bald Rd. not that long ago, but that doesn't always mean much. I didn't know Mike had been keeping tabs on some of that stuff. Maybe me and the Farmhouse Inn can tackle some of that. I didn't think of calling or running over to the Tellico Ranger station. I'll do that.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #224
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I'm bringing the CRF250L and plan on following the group doing the most "off-road" oriented path.

Peejman, I'll meet you at Sloan's like we did last time at 10:15.

The new mods have turned this bike into a rocketship compared to what it once was. Absolutely incredible. I have a 42t rear sprocket on order which should help even more.

Kray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #225
monjorrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I don't think I'm going to make it. I'm not ready for a 3.5hr highway run on the XR just yet, and the Versys needs tires so I'm saving them for commuting time since school starts back next week. Hope everyone has a great time though!