ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #76
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,751
That looks awesome, and it just so happens that I have no plans for next weekend!

Has anyone done the whole weekend there? Good spots to camp? Is it worth staying all weekend?
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #77
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
Definitely planning to head down this year. I'm not sure about Sat or Sun at this point though.

Hey Gabe! We are planning a trip to Oak Ridge in the next couple weeks. Hit me up this week if you wanna camp for a night and join us. My plans are subject to change though, as we close on our house Sept 5th, and I have no idea where we are living after that lol. Moving closer to work. This drive kills me.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #78
Mossy_Crk OP
Fallen over

Oddometer: 643
Rock on, Flux. I'll call this evening or Monday.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #79
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I follow a few Motobloggers and one is in the region this week. I figured I would see if he wanted to see east TN with a tour guide and he happily obliged. Currently we are meeting up Friday @ approx. 2:00PM at the Emory Rd exit on I-75 north and doing a full loop through Norris, up and around hwy 116 and back through oak ridge. Anyone is welcome to join. I'll update this post as plans are sured up.

Google Maps Link of route - http://goo.gl/maps/YBGhZ

Well my work life isn't playing nicely. We'll have some of our global reps in town this week and I'll be stuck in meetings well into the afternoon on Friday. If anyone else can meet up with him earlier in the day or any other day I can let him know.

Kray screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 11:24 AM
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #80
Mossy_Crk OP
Fallen over

Kray, hook us up with the blog!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #81
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Here you go - he's currently in Chattanooga.

http://www.ineverydirection.us/
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #82
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,377
Highway 95 between I 40 and Oak Ridge

To anyone who likes riding highway 95 from I40 to Oak Ridge. New pavement last week and the oils and gravel are mostly baked away or washed away. Beautiful smooth sweepers and a few tight corners.

Go for the weekends but definitely not at shift change during the week.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #83
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
The wife and rode up through Cades cove and down Parsons Branch to 129 today. Other than bumper to bumper traffic on the loop road it was a good ride. The wife did great on the dirt stuff, much of which was a bit rough from the recent rain. No bears but did see a coyote pup.

2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #84
Mossy_Crk OP
Fallen over

Nice shot. How's the road with all the recent rain? I'm still amazed (happily so) at how much $$ the park spends to keep that road open.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #85
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,715
Me too. Rich Mountain Road too.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #86
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
Nice shot. How's the road with all the recent rain? I'm still amazed (happily so) at how much $$ the park spends to keep that road open.
The road was pretty good overall, on some of the hills there was a few bigger ruts and boney rock. It looks like someone had been there recently and scraped the high center part of the road and filled a couple of washouts. Gotta watch the concrete water crossings though. there were a few huge holes at the end of those. I did Rich mtn road a while back and that was basically a gravel road you could drive a car on, this one I wouldn't drive a car on.
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #87
Mossy_Crk OP
Fallen over

Busy weekend for sure:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/se...or-enforcement

Quote:
State troopers on motorcycles will saturate U.S. Highway 129, especially the section called “The Dragon” in the upcoming weekend because of two events expected to bring a deluge of riders to the area.

Motorcycle riding troopers from Tennessee Highway Patrols districts in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Cookeville and Fall Branch will converge on the federal highway during Sept. 13-15, according to the state Department of Safety and Homeland Security.

A $71,116.79 grant from the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, which covers a period from Oct. 1, 2012, to Sept. 30, 2013, will pay overtime funds to the motorcycle officers

The decision to saturate “The Dragon” with motorcycle officers was prompted by two events this weekend expected to bring heavy motorcycle traffic to the challenging road. In Maggie Valley, N.C., the “Thunder in the Smokies” event will be under way and in Pigeon Forge the “Fall Rod Run” will be held.

The Dragon is an 11-mile section of U.S. Highway 129 that attracts motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world because of its 318 curves. According to the state, one motorcyclist has died so far this year on U.S. Highway 129.

Officials said the state troopers will especially be alert for aggressive and reckless driving, speeding, impaired driving and seat belt use for four-wheel vehicles. Authorities expect to have a sobriety checkpoint established on U.S. Highway 129 on Saturday.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #88
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
The Dragon Rat Raid (Triumph) is also this weekend. You couldn't pay me enough to ride the Dragon this weekend or any other weekend for that matter!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #89
Kray
Studly Adventurer

You would think someone would see how much attention the dragon gets and just make a twisty one-way forest road for people to pay a few bucks and run. Or maybe I'm just bat-sh*t.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #90
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

The Moto Guzzi spine raid is this weekend too. There are some good roads around with a lot less traffic but those out of town want the Dragon experience. I have the most fun up there in the evening when most everybody heads home or to to the nearest bar.
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)