User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
epb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
K1200R as only bike/daily rider?

Is anyone using one like this? I'd been planning to get a pair of Ducatis (Monster/ST4) for commuting/touring duties, but a K12R would cost about the same and has been a dream bike of mine. I've no idea how it would be to ride around town in Chicago traffic though, and that would be about 75% of it's use. Thoughts and experiences?
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,031
I have a K1200GT wedge that I use around Chicago.....it is 100% too much bike all the time. I've looked for a K12R model off and on, and I think it would be fun in the city.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,206
I have one. It's a good daily rider. It works well as a commuter and for long distance. The transmission is notchy and the fueling isn't especially good, though.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I have one. It's a good daily rider. It works well as a commuter and for long distance. The transmission is notchy and the fueling isn't especially good, though.
Is that a 05 or 06 K1200R?
They should have fixed those issues on the 07 and 08.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
epb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I have a K1200GT wedge that I use around Chicago.....it is 100% too much bike all the time. I've looked for a K12R model off and on, and I think it would be fun in the city.
They're suprisingly thin on the ground here. There's an K12R Sport in WI with 50k miles for $7k that caught my eye, though I'm not big on the color scheme:

epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,031
I think those only came in blue or that flat pearl silver. Which is probably why they didn't sell and needed $3k in rebates to move at the end of 2007.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Is that a 05 or 06 K1200R?
They should have fixed those issues on the 07 and 08.
My friends K1200S was just as bad.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
My friends K1200S was just as bad.
Was that a 05-06 to?
When i bought my ZX14 i considered the K1200S and what i found out that there where those issues you mentioned and there where some that had their gearbox broken. But on 07 and 08 there should be a improved gearbox and the fueling should be fixed and smooth.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Was that a 05-06 to?
When i bought my ZX14 i considered the K1200S and what i found out that there where those issues you mentioned and there where some that had their gearbox broken. But on 07 and 08 there should be a improved gearbox and the fueling should be fixed and smooth.
I left out the year. His was a 2007. It had a transmission replaced, clutch and camshaft. His extended warranty paid off. He loves his 2010 K1300S.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

It wasent a leftover from 06?
The 08 was defentli improved, i know a guy whos had 05 and 08 K1200S. He wasn't to thrilled about the issues on the 05 but the 08 was perfect in his words.
On the K12/13 forums i got the understanding that in 07 there where a new gearbox and new and smoother injection.
I have read that on the 05-06 there where a few owners that had gearbox and shaft breakdowns but i haven't seen any reports on the 07-08.

The K12/13 are a great bike and the ESA is supposed to be bloddy brilliant
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Petethepup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
K12R commuter

YES! Excellent commuter. My 40mi RT is a pleasure. Easy in city traffic. Variable protection, with Wunderlich handguards, different windscreens. I live near Richmond, VA. Hot, hot summers & with the small screen & no hand guards, plenty of air. In winter, adequate protection. Excellent for a 500 mile day also, for this 60 yr old rider.

The ONLY downside is the small headlights - at dusk, in the evening, not much light presence, so other drivers don't see the bike so well.

I find the bike fairly easy on tires, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
Is anyone using one like this? I'd been planning to get a pair of Ducatis (Monster/ST4) for commuting/touring duties, but a K12R would cost about the same and has been a dream bike of mine. I've no idea how it would be to ride around town in Chicago traffic though, and that would be about 75% of it's use. Thoughts and experiences?
Petethepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 582
I hav had the pleasure of riding the K12R and the K13S.

I have always thought that if a person could only have 1 bike (I can not) these bikes would be just about perfect.

I found the K12R to be a very exhilarating bike. It is a fairly long and heavy bike, tracks well but not what I'd call nimble. The bike I rode had a Remus pipe and PC3. Fueling was perfectly imperfect. It felt faster than the K13S although it wasn't.

I'll say for both of them, they are well built and fast. Fast. Fast. Fast.

You know on Star Trek when the Captain says "engage warp drive!" and everything goes blurry all around the ship? Yeah, that.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 582
One more thing, you're idea of 2 Ducati bikes for touring/commuting is what's in my garage now. ST3 and Monster 900. I know the ST3 isn't the 4 valve motor, but is close.

I would say that the K bike is superior to the ST bikes. I think that it could fill that commuting spot as well. It isn't, in my opinion as playful as a well set up Monster, but it's more fun when you whack open the throttle, and less fun when you're trying to turn it.

I think in terms of the cost and trouble associated with having multiple bikes, I would probably rather have a K12R (maybe an S to) rather that my Duc ST and Monster.

It's a hell of a machine. One things for sure, you won't be bored on it...
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
BalancePoint
Mucker

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
25,000 miles on my K12R before I wrecked it. Two bikes, really. Below and above 7000 RPMs. Very civilized bike, I very much enjoyed mine in town and on the road with the Cee Bailey screen and BMW cases. It is a little jolty with the fueling in 1st and 2nd, but not a deal-killer at all. Hopefully everything by now would be ironed out of an at least 4 1/2 year old bike. The long-ish wheelbase makes for a very confidence inspiring platform. I had the Laser exhaust, and the note was very nice to my ear.

Above 7000 RPM it's a blast. The exhaust wails and the bike HAULS ASS. So there's that. There are plenty of faster bikes, but really, nobody is going to leave you behind because they were on a faster bike. The K12R is not going to be the problem anywhere off a track. And nobody should be testing this motorcycle's limits on city streets.

Mine packed for a day trip with my wife.
BalancePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

For side cases i like the Hepco & Becker, 42liters should be enough room.
I have 35liters on my ZX14 and theyr good but on the small side for my taste.