Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Nick V OP
Who dares, wins.

Oddometer: 22
Question '09 GSA - Various little mysteries!

Hi guys, it's me again...

Just some odds and sods I want to find an answer or two for on the '09 GS Adventure:
  1. Does anyone know if it's possible not to reset, but rather eliminate the 'Next Service' indication from the digital display altogether (i.e. so that the bike does not give you any visual reminder that it thinks a service is due)? I don't care if this is a 'dealer-only' item... just want to know whether or not it's possible.
  2. On my GSA, there is a moulded cavity on the right-hand front inside of the fuel tank, about the size and shape of a large soft-drink can. It's obviously there to hold *something*, because there are brass bushings either side of the cavity, threaded for M5 or M6 screws. What on earth is this cavity for, and what is it supposed to hold?
  3. To the rear of the right-hand cylinder head, just below the throttle body, is an unused two-pin male connector. Two wires lead to this connector: one blue with brown tracer, and one brown with blue tracer. I don't have access to a wiring diagram... what component, if anything, should this connector lead to?
Thanks peeps!

N
Nick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Hi guys, it's me again...

Just some odds and sods I want to find an answer or two for on the '09 GS Adventure:
  1. Does anyone know if it's possible not to reset, but rather eliminate the 'Next Service' indication from the digital display altogether (i.e. so that the bike does not give you any visual reminder that it thinks a service is due)? I don't care if this is a 'dealer-only' item... just want to know whether or not it's possible.
  2. On my GSA, there is a moulded cavity on the right-hand front inside of the fuel tank, about the size and shape of a large soft-drink can. It's obviously there to hold *something*, because there are brass bushings either side of the cavity, threaded for M5 or M6 screws. What on earth is this cavity for, and what is it supposed to hold?
  3. To the rear of the right-hand cylinder head, just below the throttle body, is an unused two-pin male connector. Two wires lead to this connector: one blue with brown tracer, and one brown with blue tracer. I don't have access to a wiring diagram... what component, if anything, should this connector lead to?
Thanks peeps!

N
I can only answer #2. Some bikes have a charcoal canister to aid in emmission control like mine here in California and that is where it goes. I have seen some very clever aftermarket oil containers made to fill that spot.

One such container can be found here: http://www.bmwgsemotion.com/accessoringdue.html
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
clintonl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Thanks peeps!
N
I can take this one :)

I know from experience that you can't completely disable the indicator but you can set the next reminder interval a fairly long way into the future with the 911 device so that it won't bother you for multiple service intervals. Sorry I cannot remember off hand the exact value of "fairly long way"
clintonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Nick V OP
Who dares, wins.

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe View Post
I have seen some very clever aftermarket oil containers made to fill that spot.
One such container can be found here: http://www.bmwgsemotion.com/accessoringdue.html
Good idea!
I've been thinking of fabricating a container to hold tools that fits in that spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonl View Post
I can take this one :)

I know from experience that you can't completely disable the indicator but you can set the next reminder interval a fairly long way into the future with the 911 device so that it won't bother you for multiple service intervals. Sorry I cannot remember off hand the exact value of "fairly long way"
GS911 it is, then. :)

Thanks, gents!...

All your fast lane are belong to us!
Someone set up us the bike!
Nick V is offline   Reply With Quote