ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
FatChance OP
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
5 killed in Loveland Pass avalanche

CNN is reporting 5 killed in Loveland Pass avalanche :

Five members of backcountry snowboarder group were found dead Saturday after they were trapped by an avalanche on a high mountain pass in Colorado's White River National Forest, officials from the Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office told CNN.

One member survived the avalanche at Loveland Pass, located about 50 miles west of Denver, the officials said.

Responders, including Alpine rescuers, firefighters and EMS teams, are on site at the pass, which has an elevation of 11,990 feet, the Sheriff's Department said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,329

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Really bad, sad news. Condolences to all involved.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/33...-Loveland-Pass

Very unfortunately probably related to this.

http://snowboardmag.com/the-daily-sh...ks-off-tonight
Crenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,128
As a former BC snowboard enthusiast, my prayers to the families. It's a dangerous place. Hence, the 'former' moniker. The risk didn't match the reward, since Craig Kelly passed many years ago...
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,371
Bummer- I rode the pass to the south about 2 weeks ago and there were many back country skiers and snow boarders around- so sad.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
I was skiing at Loveland Basin today. Didn't hear about this until I got home. What a shame, especially if it was part of an event.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
tenmile
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Was at that event at the Dam last night, tragic to know a few of those people may not be with us any longer.... Be safe out there. Snow pack is extremely unstable right now, nearly 5 feet in a week after unseasonably warm temperatures is recipe for disaster.
tenmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
A prayer for God's strength in their pain and loss.

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I was there in the morning and with one run down the middle where the slide danger was nil, I knew the condition on the steeps was extreme and I told several of the skiers I gave a lift back up to the top that they should avoid anything over 25 degrees but they just said they had beacons and shovels and probes and were going anyway. It is so unfortunate that the extreme videos show the pro riders and skiers riding and sking in extreme terrain and they make it look reasonably safe. The uninformed don't realize that for these videos most of the conditions are pre evaluated before the pros do their thing. They understand this is their profession and take all precautions. The people that I saw yesterday did not check with the avalanche center for conditions and three never did any search practice excercises with their beacons. My thoughts are with their souls and their families.
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmdoc View Post
I was there in the morning and with one run down the middle where the slide danger was nil, I knew the condition on the steeps was extreme and I told several of the skiers I gave a lift back up to the top that they should avoid anything over 25 degrees but they just said they had beacons and shovels and probes and were going anyway. It is so unfortunate that the extreme videos show the pro riders and skiers riding and sking in extreme terrain and they make it look reasonably safe. The uninformed don't realize that for these videos most of the conditions are pre evaluated before the pros do their thing. They understand this is their profession and take all precautions. The people that I saw yesterday did not check with the avalanche center for conditions and three never did any search practice excercises with their beacons. My thoughts are with their souls and their families.
Beacons, shovels and probes usually make it easier to find the bodies. Too bad. Sounds like a huge slide. 300 yards across.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,221
I'm surprised it does not happen more often on Loveland Pass. I see people there all the time in iffy conditions often riding or skiing on their own.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Talking

Te area where the slide was is not the easiest to access from the top of the pass. It usually requires about a 45 minute hike and the best line starts from almost the top of lift 1 at Loveland. The unfortunate issue is that all of the approaches for this side of the basin are subject to considerable wind loading from the prevailing winds. The cornices up there on Sat were huge and ripe for fracture.
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,371
Such a sad tragedy. I had a friend who was supposed to go riding with one of the guys next week. Seems like they were all snowboarding industry professionals, from what i could find. I read an article on the X games site and at least one of the guys was a very highly trained backcountry guide according to a source who I have known in the snowboard industry since the late 80s. His opinion I trust highly. I think this is another case of accidents in the sports us thrill seekers do can and will occur. Sure hindsight will prove safer, to not take any risks, but that is not what drives a lot of people towards their "happy" places. I feel for all the family and friends affected by this, and I know the Colorado snowboard industry will be reeling from this one for awhile...
Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,333
Shit was sliding -everywhere- this week.
Even the little stuff we were on was sliding.

The darker layer in the middle of the cookie is the weak layer, the crust that formed on top from the nice weather we've had. Brown's from the dust that got blown around.
Towards my arm is the new stuff that fell this week.
The crusty brown shit is like ball bearings for the heavy, more cohesive snow, to slide on. And once that cracks loose, the weaker layers deeper down in the snowpack break free, and the whole damn mountain comes down.

That slide at Vail Pass on thursday, I know two guys who have been caught on that exact same hill before. It slides every year.
https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/ac...ep&view=public

The loveland slide was huuuuge.
https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/ac...05&view=public
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
The darker layer in the middle of the cookie is the weak layer, the crust that formed on top from the nice weather we've had. Brown's from the dust that got blown around.
After the first 15" or so inches of powder here in Ned we actually got a couple inches of soggy brown snow last week. At first I thought the light was screwing with my eyes for a bit, but it really snowed brown that evening. Next day was back to more white powder.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote