User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
My Ring Gear Fell Off

I was racing my R90 this weekend when it suddenly got all rattly and noisy ( even with ear plugs in)
I pulled in to the pits and my team mate came running up, we both looked down to the timing window and you could see sparks coming out...
We pulled the gear box out and the ring gear had come off the clutch carrier ( its post 81 bits).
Anyone seen this before?
Took just over an hour and we were back in action although now on roller starter.
This morning the roller starter did not want to know and pushing was of no avail, fortunately the Trident guys had a rear wheel operated one and it burst into life.
Suggestions ranged from " get another one" to " drill/tap cap screws" to " "weld the bastard" to harden up and get rid of the starter and massive battery.....
I have to day I never liked the look of it, I'm thinking my higher than std comp may have taken a toll on the rivets.
sorry no pics as I was too busy spannering and swearing.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Not something I've ever heard of. I've been using post 81 parts, the same as yours for ages with no problems.

I would definitely replace rather than repair.

I can't tell you how many people tell me to get rid of the starter and battery but I doubt that the few kilos I would save would translate into much difference in lap times. Also all those times on the dummy grid waiting to get on the track when there's a delay and everyone else is overheating and worrying whether to turn off the engine and not have a friend nearby with the roller starters. It's a godsend having a little button on the bars :)

How'd the racing go otherwise?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Gidday John, I've had a ring gear let go as well. Mine didn't actually break free like yours but all the rivets were loose and some missing.

I'd get another one instead of fixing it.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

yes, probably look at replacing, racing was ok, I entered two classes, post classic 500cc and over and Post Classics with Japanese bikes.
had a couple of good dices at the rear of the field. Had a battle with an XJ550....... could get around him on the corners but did not have the pick up out .....grr....eventually got past on the outside and undercut him on the exit.

Same happened today with a Norton Atlas.. in the wet, I wonder if I need to go back to 155 mains instead of the 130ish ones as should be able to out run a 650 Norton.

I won't be ditching the leccy starter, they take so long to get races underway with recovery its nice to 'press and go"
Old 04-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,005
Ooh ehh missus.... Problems with ring gear...

Someone on here was having this issue a wee while ago. Their issue initially manifested in a rattle they couldn't trace. I recall that there might have been an issue with the earlier ones?? And One Less Harley found his one bolted up (post 10)..

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 01:48 AM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Same happened today with a Norton Atlas.. in the wet, I wonder if I need to go back to 155 mains instead of the 130ish ones as should be able to out run a 650 Norton.
A Norton 650 should be able to outrun an Atlas 750....but if that Atlas wasn't exactly an Atlas you might have trouble getting past it.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
I have heard the 81's had some problems in that area. Mine is still ok at 164K
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
A Norton 650 should be able to outrun an Atlas 750....but if that Atlas wasn't exactly an Atlas you might have trouble getting past it.
I would imagine most of the atlases on the track aren't quite atlases and probably explains the shortage of commando cylinder heads
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I entered the Post Classics with the Jappers for some track time...
had a right battle with a Yamaha....550.....I could get past him on the outside on the corners but just lacked the exit zip he had....
After a few corners I went deep crossed behind him and passed him on the inside.
The new guy on the R90s was able to pass the 900 Harley easily that I rarely pass.

Some pretty trick Nortons there, young Tyler (15) had two ES2 500's to ride, he nips on the heels of Manx's with both of them.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,199
I would run a starter and small battery too.

I have helped with bikes that had them removed for their weight. Did you notice any difference Voltaire?

I doubt bigger mains will do anything but slow you down but there is only one way to find out! I am running 165's in my setup now but I am still running the smallest mains I can and it still runs at all up there. 155's and it like hitting the kill switch at about 5k.

I got a lot quicker rev out of my setup disconnecting the pumps but you do need to re-jet off idle if you do that.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I would run a starter and small battery too.

I have helped with bikes that had them removed for their weight. Did you notice any difference Voltaire?

I doubt bigger mains will do anything but slow you down but there is only one way to find out! I am running 165's in my setup now but I am still running the smallest mains I can and it still runs at all up there. 155's and it like hitting the kill switch at about 5k.

I got a lot quicker rev out of my setup disconnecting the pumps but you do need to re-jet off idle if you do that.
Me losing a few KGs would be better I think...
I didn't notice any difference, loosing the massive 32 amp battery might help but reluctant to spring $400 for a Shorai as really it won't make much difference.
On the mains, probably right as it runs very nice and clean at the moment.
One thing was it was impossible to start cold on the rollers ( 3rd gear), or pushing, had to use the van rollers so the comp with 1mm off the heads must be up there.
My bike is other than the cam and carbs virtually stock.
Might be low on power but its high on bang for buck fun.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,199
I meant difference in how it revs. Blipping them in neutral is about as good an indicator as anything IMO.

Usually hard to start is from being too lean. I am always amazed how much tickling (my Dell's have ticklers, no choke, and no pumps) it takes to get mine started. Unless it is good and hot, it won't start without being tickled. Of course, I could jet it for easy start up but that would cost me some power, MPG, and carbon build up!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote