User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Waterbaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Is my battery toast?

Bike is acting very strange. Had to jump start it yesterday from being stood since November. Once it started I rode it a couple of miles but the speedo was doing very strange things......it was reading random numbers and the rev counter stopped working. The bike then died and wouldn't re-start. Before buying a new battery do I need to look at anything else?
Thanks in advance for any help/advice
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
I would take the battery out, fully charge it, and then get it stress tested. You can ruin the rectifier if you run the bike with a dead battery that won't take a charge.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,160
Read the voltage on the battery, then take an iddle running engine read to see if the rectifier does it job
Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I would take the battery out, fully charge it, and then get it stress tested.
what type of battery is this? what happened before it failed?

take a known to be correct meter... measure voltage at battery with engine at mid rev ... a normal charging system will read 13.8v to 14.2 range.

depending on what type PB battery ... fully charged after resting overnight should be 12.8v range. most don't have a load tester, no worries. simply install battery. you bike's starter motor will do.

say your fully charged PB battery resting voltage is 12.8v and it starts your bike fine. your problem is else where...

for LiFePO4 .. voltages are completely different ... much more info in battery testing thread... link in sig
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
rotarygirder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I recently had a thread started where my bike was dead after storage, got her started and had no tach reading, speedo numbers were crazy, temp bars were flashing. It drove fine, but nothing I could do would fix the guages. KTM replaced the entire gauge cluster under warranty and it's worked fine for the last few weeks.
rotarygirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Just had similar issues on my 950 SM after little use over the winter. It would charge up ok but only crank the engine for 30 secs before the symptoms you decribe and it was basically flat again. Reg/rec checked and ok so after jump starting off a car I went to a Honda dealer and bought a new Yuasa YTZ14S.

Tip I got from this forum a while ago was that the same battery from a Honda dealer costs 70 but from KTM it's 160, go figure (I bought from a KTM/Honda dealer once and the same item was stocked under different part numbers with the wildly different prices!).

Hope it's just battery issue.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Waterbaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thank you for all your responses. The battery that was in there was called a Yacht. Never heard of this make. Replaced battery and all OK. Rev counter and speedo work fine. Thank you for all your ideas and help
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
If you don't have a Battery Tender, get one. Any time I have a motorcycle sitting for two weeks or longer, I hook it up and it keeps the battery in much better condition. Fortunately, I live where normally the only time my bikes are likely to sit that long is when I'm on vacation.

Get the Battery Tender so that you won't be posting another thread like this next year.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,229
Current leakage...

The 950's have a known current leak from the instrument panel while sitting at rest. That's why most of these owners have learned the hard way ( burned out batteries) or got good recommendations from the adv asylum to use a battery tender. However, be careful about having a tender that won't overheat an already bad battery until it burns down the garage... as has happened.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Check the voltage regulator. Mine started pumping 17v into the battery then she blew on the way home from a ride. took out the head light and tail light also.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Mochaos
Click here______

Oddometer: 35
That happened to my bike at the end of last season. Check all the wiring from the rectifier to the battery. My wiring turned into green dust due to all the corrosion and disintegrated in my fingers. I am in the process of replacing the wiring and rectifier, hopefully this fixes it.