Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
braindigitalis OP
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
places to see in the UK

Hi all

My time for riding right now is more limited than it was so I am looking to do some short trips in the UK from where I am based in Nottingham. I am looking for other people's opinions on where might be good to visit, that I can get there and back in the same day (I really don't mind long distance, multiple hour journeys) that really MUST be seen to believed. I think the Scottish borders is about the limit of how far I could get and come back the same day as I only have 125cc's of power at my disposal... That hasn't stopped me before though ;-) so, what are your thoughts for places to see that I might not have considered? All opinions welcome...
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,626
Peak District
North Yorkshire Moors
Yorkshire Dales
Kielder Forest
Lake District

Get one of these to tell you which roads:

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,626
That was assuming you're going for the riding. If it's places you want to see, you need to specify what interests you.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
braindigitalis OP
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
That was assuming you're going for the riding. If it's places you want to see, you need to specify what interests you.
Yeah its more about the riding, the journey is important not the destination...
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Hayastani
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Any reasonable guide book (e.g. Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, etc) will give you a vast number of places worthy of a visit. As for getting to any of these on a motorcycle, particularly a smaller cc 'bike, is take time and effort planning your route, using B and unclassified roads, plus deciding on when to undertake the trip - spring and autumn tend to be preferable to high summer (I know this year has been an exception!).
Hayastani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
If you're down in the New Forest area (around Southampton, Stonhenge, Bath etc) the British Motor museum is in Beaulieu (pronounced Bewley), and Sammy Millers museum is not so far away in Bashley or Brashley (I never quite understand my son in laws accent, and he was driving that day. I was jet lagged and could barely stay awake until I got there, let alone look at road signs). Great places for a fix of nostalgia. Allow a day for the motor museum, and 1/2 day for Millers.

By the way, I've found a GPS really, really helps.

And sorry, I really don't know how far Nottingham is from this area.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote