Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
No doubt that any extra miles ridding is far better than walking. If I really milk it my bike can get 70mpg so a 22oz bottle can get me 12 miles. But that is only on paper; I think I can truely expect only about 5 miles out of a 22oz bottle, and that is on relatively level ground. Once you have run out of gas it is below a zero level due to the sloshing around and the sputtering as the carb is trying to suck up every last drop and keep from dying. This is even worse if you have a single petcock and accidently (or you can not control which lobe) dump the gas into the wronge side.

I have used my spare bottle twice, once for me and once for a freind. For me it wasn't a problem and I got out ok. For my buddy, it seems like he only got about 2+ miles as he sputtered into the gas station. Rich tuned DRZ400. WE were LUCKY, though we did not try to lean the tank over and try to get all the gas from the none petcock side. And even though I talk smack about it, I still carry one at times. I even have a larger capacity tank.

What I was really commenting on is how many people strap one of these on their bikes thinking it will expand their range, without really having experiance with an out of gas situation. How many 1200GS's do you see with one or even two of these strapped to the back of the side boxes. I tend to chuckle to myself thinking of the true range a 22oz msr bottle of fuel will yeild those guys. This is jsut the first time I have expressed my "chuckle" with words.

This is one of those situations where YMWV!!

To give some useful input, instead of all my bantering, A slick way to carry these bottles is with a tool tube. The Farm supply tractor manual tool tubes that are so popular. I have two of these. One for tools and if I am "touring" and have my big rack on, I will hose clamp a second tube on the bottom/side of the rack. A MSR bottle slips in there perfectly. Jsut wrap the bottle with a rag so that it doesn't rattle around very much. It however really beats up the bottles paint job.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,505
Nothing replaces good planning, I try to plan rides using only 60~70% of the tank's capacity leaving a 30% buffer in event something doesn't go as planned. The MSR bottles are just to augment that reserve if the destances dictate it.

I would never plan a ride where I needed to use them to reach my destination. For me the other side of the tank is also an additional reserve. I've laid the bike over more than once to switch fuel to the other side.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
snowman318 OP
Future Corpse

Oddometer: 1,045
I do a dual sport every June and the first day is 90 mi.
Did that on a KLR 250 without stopping for gas or going on reserve. Must have been close.
The TE 250 isn't going to do that good, and 3-4 hundred bikes at two gas stations sucks. Hoping to get to the second stop (65 mi ) where it is less crowded. I haven't rode the bike long enough to figure out the mileage yet, next weekend is a hare scramble, maybe I'll get an idea then.I've heard 30-40 mpg depending.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674788
http://sevenmountainsconservationcorp.com/
snowman318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
MSR Dromedary bags work great as fuel containers. 33 oz fuel bottles take up the same space full or empty and don't give me enough range anyways, but we all have different needs.
Just be aware you want to keep them on the outside in fresh air and not in a pannier of soft bag, gas vapors do seem to seep out just a little and would have everything around stinking like gas too if they are in something.
They are stout enough to get strapped down on a seat or rack with ROK straps or hanging like this on a backpack. Strong as hell.
I sometimes take a piece of garbage bag from the corner of garbage cans at gas stations and put it under the small cap to avoid spilling if the flip open cap gets bumped.
My 4L and 6L bags I have been used many times with no issue, usually not keeping fuel in them for more than 24 hours. and can effective double my range without taking up much space when empty.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer: 363
hows the setup working out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
This is what I did.

I got the same setup except the the KTM. How's the fuel bottles doing. Have you tested the setup yet? Do they leak onto the saddle bags? I'm worried about the bottle leaking on the exhaust since the opening sits above it.

This is what happens in death valley when you dont tie them down properly. I rode for 10 miles with these bad boys hanging off the side thank god they took all the damage. Thats why I ordered the wolfman holsters.
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

itnanti screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 09:02 AM Reason: changed picture
itnanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,354
I'm using a plastic 1/2 gal. former 2 stroke oil container that has a built in flexible spout. An unleaded gas hose nozzle just fits in it.

Exactly a 1/2 gal. still leaves room for expansion. On my bike it's good for 25-30 miles. Fits nicely in my non-exhaust side soft saddle bag with plenty of room left over.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I have 3 of these:

Haven't figured out where to attach them yet. There are loops on the back not shown in the photo.

I have E-12s too, so RideFreak's photo is of interest.

Previously these bottles were stuffed loose into whatever spot I could fit them, but they dent easily, and I'd rather hang them outside than take up pack space.
Where did you get those bottle holders? link?
tuna101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Anyone know what bottle holder will fit the 1.5l primus bottles? Wolfman's are designed for the 1l and the tractor containers are a 1/4" too small. I'm thinking I might have to take it to a mil surplus store and browse for something close.
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
WhiskeySierra
Day L8, $1 Short

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmanSam View Post
Anyone know what bottle holder will fit the 1.5l primus bottles? Wolfman's are designed for the 1l and the tractor containers are a 1/4" too small. I'm thinking I might have to take it to a mil surplus store and browse for something close.
Here you go http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Tra...er-Holder.aspx
WhiskeySierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra View Post
Yikes, HT is pretty proud of that thing huh?

Thanks though.

Edit: this is more like it http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688003
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Google

Check out Nomad auxillary fuel tanks, Safari tanks, Liquid Containment bladders.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
I am running a Acerbis 1.75 gal auxillary fuel tank, on my TW200 along with two tubes

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
hard to beat this price on tubes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPERATOR...item5aed4edede
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #29
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
Where did you get those bottle holders? link?
check these 2 companies:

www.manafont.com

or

www.dealextreme.com

More info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854050
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #30
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
I have used the Dromedary a couple times now on big rides and it works great. I rinsed it out with water after leaving it open for a couple days to evaporate out any remaining fuel.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote