Hard Bags 66 58.93%
Soft Bags 46 41.07%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
manshoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Hard Bags vs Soft in a Crash

Your going to be sliding across the pavement and there is no other option. Whats going to better protect you and why ?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
bodhisattva65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Arguments can be made for both. Speed is the equalizer, I could see if you were traveling fast maybe say 30mph or faster the hard bags may do more damage to the frame and rear of bike, catching on the terran, where as slower hard bags may act as a brace.

I could be wrong just my experience
bodhisattva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
nerowolfe79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
of course, hard bags prevent your foot or leg getting caught between the pavement and the bike.

what I've just learned the hard way, is sometimes it gets caught between the pavement and the hard bag.

still, for many reasons, hard bags fit it for me.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,380
Get your leg caught under that hard case & the next sound will be your lower leg bone(s) snapping.

Doesn't take a lot of speed just a hard case going down on the back of your calf.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
I have heard that if you rub a hole through the pelican caribou case that they replace it free. (?)
Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang55 View Post
get your leg caught under that hard case & the next sound will be your lower leg bone(s) snapping.

Doesn't take a lot of speed just a hard case going down on the back of your calf.
+1

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
scooterscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I biffed saturday with soft bags on my xr650l . A transition from gravel to pavement, in a curve to much front brake to much throttle and a bald rear tire. I am trying not to be a squid but some times it is so much fun to push my limit. The hold downs for the bags were damaged my mirror broken , rashed my side cover and bark buster but the bag kept the bike off of me.
scooterscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Toolpen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Interesting question, but it seems there are a lot of variables at play and I don't have any experience with the large aluminum panniers. I did drop my ST1100 once in the sand, which left me with my left foot and calf caught between the bike and ground, so the bag did not provide any clearance. Fortunately there was only light bruising on my calf, but it did make me think about what could have happened. I ordered a pair of SIDI boots when I returned home.
Toolpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,476
I crashed twice with Givi hard bags (different bikes, different bags), both slides, slow speed. In both instances the bags held up and prevented the bike from falling on my leg. As a matter of fact, the bike continued sliding on and I was on the ground. Some damage to the bags is better than damage to my leg. Bike was 1200 Bandit, which is pretty heavy.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Mount the bags on a Volvo, soft or hard won't matter...
no need to thank me.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
If you want protection put front and rear engine guards on the bike.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
manshoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Mount the bags on a Volvo, soft or hard won't matter...
no need to thank me.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
I crashed twice with Givi hard bags (different bikes, different bags), both slides, slow speed. In both instances the bags held up and prevented the bike from falling on my leg. As a matter of fact, the bike continued sliding on and I was on the ground. Some damage to the bags is better than damage to my leg. Bike was 1200 Bandit, which is pretty heavy.

I have only crashed one time, 29 years ago, on my very first street bike @ 18, a Yamaha 650 special. I was out drinking and riding with a friend who owned the very same bike, at night hauling ass down a long dark road coming up to a stop sign. I miss judged the stop and skidded/glanced into the side of my friend doing 18 mph, dropping him in his tracks and me sliding 30 feet across the pavement into a curb.

We both rode away from the scene with just some broken bike pieces and me some tore up blue jeans. Because of the size of the crash bars back then on the bike, saved me from getting caught under the bike in my slide. I couldn't imagine soft bags saving me much that night, and I have always wondered when people argue that soft bags are better if they have actually ever experienced something of the above, or what brought them to their decision. Maybe other then to sell a specific soft case product as better.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
What I wonder is how often do you catch your hard bags on something that causes you to crash? I've caught soft bags a few times, and they just give way enough to let you ride on--catch a hard bag and I imagine you might have a problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
manshoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
What I wonder is how often do you catch your hard bags on something that causes you to crash? I've caught soft bags a few times, and they just give way enough to let you ride on--catch a hard bag and I imagine you might have a problem.
I could actually see a hard bag working better in the deflection department. A stick or branch protruding into a soft case where it might just bend or flex against a hard case. I have never had that happen to me but anything is possible ,
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
First of all..... why would a leg or foot be more likely to get ground down to the bone under hard bags than under soft bags?

I've actually considered, but have yet to follow through on....., Riviting a protective a piece of steel/aluminum braced rubber bumper onto the lids of my Givi bags where the lid meets the ground. Between my RennTech engine guard up front and the reinforced lids at the back, the bike (and my leg/foot) would be better protected than if the bike were naked.
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote