User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
GabeJ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
F650GS or TR650 Strada for offroad?

I've got a great offer from the local Husky dealer on a new Strada, but I do have a concern. I want to do some light offroad, two-track riding. I also commute 60 miles on the freeway per day.

There are tons of solid non-Dakar F650GS's out there for a couple thousand less than the Strada. But I've always wanted a supermoto-style bike that I can do two up. The Strada is a dream bike. I'm just worried that it isn't that practical for how I ride. Will the Strada be fine on the freeway, and can it be a solid gravel/offroad scratcher?
Thanks
GabeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Since Husqvarna may or may not be selling this bike in the future, who knows where the Husky 650 line is going. Most buyers are buying the Terra over the Strada, probably because of it's more off road design, but the Strada is more like the BMW 650GS then the Terra is. If you are just going the ride fire roads and packed dirt roads either bike will work just fine and like you said you will use the bike to commute daily. I would probably not buy the Husky only because of the unknown direction the company is going at this time. Both bikes support the Rotax 650 engine which has proven itself over the years and which I believe BMW has the rights to, so will it be sold to Husky in the future, who knows. My choice would be with BMW, just because of Husqvarna's poor dealer network and the future unknowns.

John

trainman screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 07:40 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 767
i'm not sure either one of those would be my first pic for a bike to commute 60 miles a day on. i test rode the gs and it felt small, underpowered and boring. i'm sure it would be fine on graded gravel or dirt roads, but anything more than that and it would just be beaten to death. I have never rode the husky, but i completely agree with the earlier post about the unknown direction and parts availablility of the husky line.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Tr or BMW

I have a Strada...so my opinion is one sided I reckon....but I am glad I bought before the change or I might have chickened out. All the sky is falling talk is kinda funny. Many of the same guys that are worried about dealer support avoid the dealer like the plague with their own bikes...only returning for warranty work or if something's free. The ECU thingy..(Moss) is the only issue you'd be likely to have....and then most likely only in the beginning. The first batch of TRs needed the Moss hooked up to address a idling/stumbling problem that I believe is cured now. My bike runs great.

The extra power Husky breathed into the motor is very noticeable. My bike loves to rev for a single. I am very glad to have it. And will probably keep it awhile. It just brings smiles. I have several other options.....but pick it often. It's fun. I paid close to msrp for mine. 1k off there selling for now is a bargain IMHO.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote