Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
That is BS. If tightening the bearings caused less shake, my guess is replacing the bearings would do away with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
PNWRR
Carlos Anger

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUperDuty View Post
Apparently they rode their demo F800 and it has a similar shake at 50 mph. The service advisor said that it is just a characterization of the bike because of the rake angle.

PNWRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
It sounds like bullshit to me. They just don't want to take the time to figure out what it is. You should have asked them if that was a common practice of BMW to put out bikes that shake at 50 mph and what other things are wrong with their bikes that they put out there. Tell them you want to talk to the factory rep. to see why they put out bikes with major problems.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
If it really is handlebar shake on a paved road, it really is wrong. You could do a couple of test rides with different preload settings on the rear shock. That will address any "rake" considerations. If adjusting shock preload doesn't cure it, there is something wrong and risky that needs to be corrected.

Good luck,

Steve
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
too old for dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
+1 on that is BS. You should not have head shake on a paved road at 50 mph. Get you manual out and check the rear shock settings. The factory settings are set for a 175 lb. person. Adjust for the weight difference and add a little more pre load and see if that does not solve the problem.
too old for dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUperDuty View Post
Dealership called. They confirmed the bar shake. They also said they tightened up the steering bearings which minimized the shake, but it did not eliminate it entirely. Apparently they rode their demo F800 and it has a similar shake at 50 mph. The service advisor said that it is just a characterization of the bike because of the rake angle. OK? Sound like a reasonable explanation?
NO.... Not reasonable....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
KSUperDuty OP
GNerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
OK, so I picked up the bike from the dealership. As I said before, they tightened up the steering bearings. The shake was minimized but not gone. Now the shake only happened at exactly 50 MPH on deceleration. The service mgr insisted that "some bikes just do that". Rather than cause a stink at the shop, I decided that I'd fool with it some first.

Since I had to go back over to the front range to pick it up. I figured I'd load the bike back up with some camping stuff, hit the Wolfman event in Longmont, spend the night in RMNP, and explore. Long story short, I just had to play with the preload. Since I haven't exactly figured out how to pack light yet, I am still piling all kinds of crap on the bike. Like the Noob that I am, it turns out that I was just cranking up the preload in the back too much. More is better right!! I eventually found a sweet spot that made the shake disappear.

So, in the end, it was a combo between the bearings wearing in, piling too much stuff on the bike, too much preload, and me still being too much of a safety freak nervous nancy after my back breaking debacle 10 years ago. I should have just used my head and my own tools to begin with.

Thanks for the advice about adjusting the preload. Without it, it would have taken me a lot longer to figure this out. Why didn't the dealer suggest adjusting the preload? I guess that's a rhetorical question....

KSUperDuty screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 09:24 PM
KSUperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
check this too, it is personal preference but below the scribed line is the minimum.

2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote