User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
stromenator OP
newbie with goals

Oddometer: 12
Cool2 new bike? new rider?!

I have been riding a freinds fz6 for a while now (more than he has which I think is weird) and I am hooked! It is truely in my blood. Here is the hard part...I love to travel. I have driven cross country four times and been to every state in the interoir of the country (TN to Alaska is next) and I think that a motorcycle with gas prices being where they are would be a wise choice. I am 6'0" 145lbs and have been looking at the dl650. I want to ride one really bad, but none of the stores can get one! or so they say anyway, btw why do motorcycle stores not want to sell bikes to people that want to buy a bike? I swear I could walk in and wave the 6,000 around and they would tell me "oh yea I think it'll december before we got one, but here is what want this 1300 hd that's your kinda bike man." Anyway...I plan to take two safety courses, a couple of rides from tn to nc (maybe not the tail of the dragon, but a nice long trip) and do everything as safely and logically that I can. So that being said do you guys have any advice for a new rider that will be getting a new dl650 (if they will ever sell me one) and living on it. One more thing....Idon't think it's possible but is there a safe and stable way to put a acoustic guitar on the back of the weestrom without it turning into some kind of a sail! I make money with my guitar and pool sticks, so if possible they need to come along. If I'm carzy...say so....it wouldn't be the first i've heard it...today....great site though....thanks in advance for advice and ideas and ridicule.
stromenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Hi. Welcome to the forum, first off.
If you want to buy a Strom, and your local dealer wont sell you one, give me a private message and I'll sell you one. I work at a Suzuki dealer as a salesman in Asheville NC (Deal's gap territory). I'll be glad to order any color you want and hook you up with a good deal too, since you're an ADVrider forum user.
That being said, a new weestrom is a great bike for a beginner with some experience. My advice is to take take a riding course with your new strom.
As for the guitar, I'm a guitarista myself. I fabricated a mount for a surfboard years ago on my old Kawaski 650. It was rockin good fun. You just have to use your head and your imagination to fabricate the right thing for your guitar mount. Don't have a guitarmount on bike, though. So I'm not one to tell you how to do it.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
If it is your intent to do longer distances you may want to think about getting a larger multi-cylinder bike. If you are 6' then the DL650 *may* be a little small for you and you will be able to pack more on a larger bike.

Do not pass over a good second hand bike from a reputable person/dealer.
Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca
If it is your intent to do longer distances you may want to think about getting a larger multi-cylinder bike. If you are 6' then the DL650 *may* be a little small for you and you will be able to pack more on a larger bike.

Do not pass over a good second hand bike from a reputable person/dealer.
Jeez...., Don't start that line again. These forums are full of "is the wee-strom big enough?" threads.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:37 AM   #5
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromenator
One more thing....Idon't think it's possible but is there a safe and stable way to put a acoustic guitar on the back of the weestrom without it turning into some kind of a sail! I make money with my guitar and pool sticks, so if possible they need to come along. If I'm carzy...say so....it wouldn't be the first i've heard it...today....great site though....thanks in advance for advice and ideas and ridicule.
You might look at the left side of the bike. The exhaust is on the right, and there's an acre of open land on the other side. If you're riding solo, I bet you could have someone fabricate a box to mount on the left that would carry the guitar.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
stromenator OP
newbie with goals

wow thanx alot guys. Kraven I was actually thinking about making Asheville my first stop to see if I could get some musicians together. Not to mention once I go I am gone and will be camping and things like that until I find a suitable place to do my thing and the camping around Asheville is incredible. The people are pretty cool there too. I have to admit that I have been considering the 1000. I have read several pretty honest reveiws on both bikes, but it comes down I really don't want to have to lower a bike and the dl1000 is too tall for me. Of course then there is the argument of just putting a 650 seat on the 1000....anyway that can be discussed and debated but the choice wont be made until I can ride one of each. Then I will just know. So Kraven I might just come see you sooner than later! who knows....as for the guitar, it's tricky....I really just nervous about the balance problem that could be created by putting on one side. I have very light camping gear that I think would easily fit in one side case, but to build a box to protect my guitar and it not weigh two hundred pounds might mean expensive alum. (the guitar is only worth $900) So that's why I thinking some kind of a sisy bar kind of thing, but the butt end of that bike is so high the "shoulders" of the guitar would probably be right at my shoulders leaving two feet of rosewood sticking up into the wind/debri/rain/birds/bugs/tree limbs/etc. idunno maybe there is someone out there that has pulled it off. Maybe I should sell my Martin, get something cheap and disposable and just drag it on a sled! Okay I know this is kind of long and if I need to reduce these please let me know as I am not really internet savy. On the point of taking a course w/ the vstrom....here they have a begining and advanced course both of which provide crash experience which means they supply a bike similar (I am sure they would put me on a klr) to what you own, get you used to riding it and then show you how to lay it down to avoid an accident and minimize injury etc. I had planned to tkae both courses but are you saying I should take one specifcally with my vstrom? I am confident that after riding a fz6 that was dropped it's first day (not me(:) and has slightly but noticeably bent handle bars the weestrom will be a breeze. Maybe not though as that fz6 is great little bike imho and pretty forgiving other than you really have to coax it into the turns and then its fine but mybe that is just the one I'm riding. ALRIGHT ENOUGH! Sorry guys for the rambeling and miss spelling, but I really appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
blue flame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I think you'll be happy with the Weestrom. I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, and now that i'm used to it, it's right for me. As far as the training goes, I would suggest that in addition to using the bike you will be riding you also wear the gear you'll be wearing. The first time my weestrom hit the tar was in the parking lot of the dealer. I was attempting a low speed, full lock, left turn, and I was used to wearing jeans and riding a Savage. So there I was, Taller gearing, taller saddle height, and brand new armored, heavy pants. You guessed it ! Fell right to the ground before I could get my damn foot out ! Picked up the pieces ( literally ) and went in and bought a replacement directional light. So yeah, I recommend practicing as close as possible to the way you will be riding. I was glad it wasn't a license test !
blue flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
stromenator OP
newbie with goals

that's a good point I keep forgeting to bring up...are those aerostitch suit tolarable in the summer? I like the idea of a suit that just goes over street clothes and look like they would be very nice in winter, but that is a lot of money for just winter riding. Do the Darius jacket and pant work the same as far fitting over anything that you might need to wear underneath? Are there good quality suits or two peice protection (I am willing to sacrafice money/comfert for more realistic protection) that don't cost $800? Also I notice alot of long distance riders are using those flip up helmets (sorry I dont know what they are really called) so I guess you can eat or smoke or whatever without taking your helmet off. Why? One more thing I have been using a pair of HARDCORE hiking boots, you know steel toe/shank, very thick one peice leather, just covers the ankle for twisting...are these bad? They are heavy, very comfy, very waterproof and I think that I could get some kind of ankle protection in there somewhere, but again very heavy. I am not going to be living on the income (or stress) that I am on now, so I figure its a good idea to buy good stuff that I will be happy with for years now. I guess I should try and get this stuff before I go test the bike huh?! I love little pointers like that though. thanx
Old 07-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #9
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromenator
wow thanx alot guys. Kraven I was actually thinking about making Asheville my first stop to see if I could get some musicians together. Not to mention once I go I am gone and will be camping and things like that until I find a suitable place to do my thing and the camping around Asheville is incredible. The people are pretty cool there too. I have to admit that I have been considering the 1000. I have read several pretty honest reveiws on both bikes, but it comes down I really don't want to have to lower a bike and the dl1000 is too tall for me. Of course then there is the argument of just putting a 650 seat on the 1000....anyway that can be discussed and debated but the choice wont be made until I can ride one of each. Then I will just know. So Kraven I might just come see you sooner than later! who knows....
No problem dude. I've got two 1000's on the floor you can sit on and check out. But, I'm 6' and 210 lbs. and I feel like the weestrom will do anything I want it to do except saitsfy my craving for big horsepower. Either way, the world needs more guys traveling with their guitars. No matter what you ride.
If you find your way to Asheville, look me up. I'll show you some roads that all the tourists don't know about.
Good luck with the Guitar mount.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:21 AM   #10
stromenator OP
newbie with goals

Roads tourist don't know about :). Tourists take the fun out of being in a great place sometimes. I might just have to get legite (a lisence) sooner than later and see if my friend with a brand new fz6 will let me "rent" it for a weekend! I am pretty open minded about things, but I think when it comes down to riding the 1k or 650, the 650 will fit the best based on the description and reports I have read vs my size. I did sit on a 1000 about a month ago and I wouldn't be very comfertable at stops. Do you think the '06 weestrom might come with a little more? You know, like a center stand and skid plate? I am sure a good windscreen is too much to ask, but come on, at least a center stand. In other words, should I wait?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 AM   #11
BarkinDogs

Oddometer: n/a
Roadcrafter in hot weather

Welcome aboard.

I have a one-piece Roadcrafter in hi-viz that i use for commuting every day here in Florida. I also have a perforated Vanson leather jacket and i can tell you that the Roadcrafter is much, much more comfortable in the opressive heat/humidity that i ride in. Temps are in the 90's by 9:00 AM an humidity is in the high 90's as well.

Some things to think about, the Roadcrafter takes up a lot of space, which shouldn't be a problem if you wear it all the time. Second, if you are going to be living off the bike for a while a two piece might be more versatile.

I think a part of the reason the suit is comfortable is the light color but if I had to replace it today, i'd ask for black inserts on thew knee/front of leg area. I was surprised to see how much crap gets flung up from the road. The good news is that it keeps that stuff off my clothes.

I would guess that where you mount the guitar is less important than the case you use. I've seen guitars shipped as checked luggage, so they must make some good cases for them. Go to a local welder/fabricator and tell him what you want to do, most of these guys are great at figuring this sort of thing out. I like the idea of a sissy-bar mount, just for the 60's appeal.

Happy trails.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:25 AM   #12
Wes Mantooth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Steel Toed Boots

I just want to touch on this real quick...There are logical arguments for and against steel toed boots, but I'm somewhat put off by them because if you are ever involved in an accident (God forbid), there is a possibility of the steel being bent back and slicing a few toes off. I truly think you would be better of to buy some dedicated motorcycle boots. The prices aren't that bad - check out www.newenough.com. They have a pretty large selection for great prices.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:00 AM   #13
BigSlim
Luck? I don't need luck..

Oddometer: 8
Carrying a Guitar on a DL650

Stromenator, I am thinking through this same process. Picking up my '04 wee strom tonight.

Here is my plan... to install aluminum panniers, and mount them so that the top surface is flat with the rear rack. Then I plan to strap the guitar hard case flat across the back of the bike and the panniers. Probably at a slight angle to cut down on the width. I don't really want a dedicated guitar carrying apparatus b/c I only ride with it about 10% of the time. This way seems the simplest and easiest to me... just trhow it on when you want to take it with you. Anybody have any other experiences with transporting a full sized acuostic guitar on a motorcycle. You could always go with a Martin Backpacker if you just playing around the campfire.

The next challenge will be to figure out how to mount the mountain bike on the back... anyone tackled this one...?
BigSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #14
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 309
Take the MSF if you haven't already... Even if you've ridden quite a bit, it's always good to start on the right foot, as some of the things they teach you aren't exactly common sense... And if they are, no harm done. It doesn't cost very much and will usually give you an insurance break.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #15
stromenator OP
newbie with goals

Thanx again that's a lot of good info. First I really like your idea bigslim. I wasn't planning on using alum pann though only because of the price, but I still waiver on that desicion because of their durability and functionalitly. Plus I won't have to worry about my stuff getting stolen so much. That brings up another point, if I am playing somewhere and my bike sits with everything I own (expect my guitar or cues) downtown _________, what are the chances of two guys coming along picking up the bike and putting in the pickup? How can I reduce these chances?

Now about the steel toe...I am glad you reminded me about that because that could be very bad, to put it nicely that is. I am however still going to put special boots kind of low on the list of essetials, just because they will work for now and at those prices it wouldn't be long before I could get some.

On the roadcrafter suit...I am in Chattanooga (hell) right now and it 92 with 90% humidity. My friend has a jacket that is grey and black but VERY venitlated, pretty much all mesh, and it is still over bearing. That is one reason that I have decided to go back to traveling, sure the economy is good here but if you can't even ride comfertable at 80mph well then what the...You mentioned that a two piece might be more convient...could you give me a few more thoughts as to why?

another guitar idea...this goes with the sissybar thing but instead of having the case mounted so that it faces the rider, have it face backwards. This way the sissy bar could be used, well as a sissy bar, and I could still attach a back pack where the pillion would be etc. I have even thought about mounting it so that the stock tail light has to be moved to the case so that the guitar wouldn't sit so high. I could also put another tail light and blinkers on the top of the case like the third tail light on cars. I need something that I won't have to worry about my guitar geting stolen while I eat or whatever so I am thinking a alum triangle that is big enough to fit one of those nice soft cases. That way I won't have to pad the box and if want to use for something else one day Ican. Again not being experieced with long distances rides I don't if the extra weight hanging way off the back of the bike would be advisable. So all you great gurus of riding that so willingly offer your vast knowledge and experience....thanx again