Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Question New Zealand in July, is it to cold and rainy...!?

We have a trip plan at the end of July to Sydney and debating if to spend a week in Queenland Australia (warmer) or fulfill a dream of many years and visit New Zealand, all base in the "winter season"

Ps: we will have a 21month old baby with us..

PsII: somehow I have the impression you guys don't get along all that well, but please try to be honest with your comments about what makes the most sense for the three of us..
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,201
Hi Mate, rivalry between Oz & NZ is almost always of the friendly variety

In July I would take Queensland over NZ. It's the dry season in northern Oz & the ideal time to visit. We can have nice cool & clear weather in July but it's more likely to be cold & wet.

Save the NZ trip for when you can get away Jan/Feb/Mar

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post

In July I would take Queensland over NZ. It's the dry season in northern Oz & the ideal time to visit. We can have nice cool & clear weather in July but it's more likely to be cold & wet.

Cheers
Clint
What he said -that's why the planes are always full going over to OZ during that time. The Pacific islands are nice I hear too.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 606
The scenery in NZ (especially South Island) is often at its best in July. The mountains are stunning with the snow and although the mornings may be frosty, the days can sunny with bright blue skies and very little wind. On the other hand you could have rain and snow - its the luck of the draw. Warm clothing and sitting around a fire would be part of the experience. In the twenty years that I have lived in NZ can't say I've ever felt the need to get away from the winters.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by i gs 1 View Post
the scenery in nz (especially south island) is often at its best in july. The mountains are stunning with the snow and although the mornings may be frosty, the days can sunny with bright blue skies and very little wind. On the other hand you could have rain and snow - its the luck of the draw. Warm clothing and sitting around a fire would be part of the experience. In the twenty years that i have lived in nz can't say i've ever felt the need to get away from the winters.
+1
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post

Cheers
Clint
+1....Clintz on to it!!!

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Okay we are convince now, we will go to the north of Australia and hopefully some day we can visit your awesome country..
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Check out this site if you're after the normal weather patterns around the planet.

I like the dashboard view because you can see the normal ranges.

http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;...%20lake%20city

Using the embedded map scroll around to find out the places you're interested in. They have little yellow current temp boxes.

The buttons on the graphs show all sorts of neat things. You may like the 1 year view for holiday research.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 78
The Aussies and the Kiwis generally get along pretty well......just the usual Trans-Tasman sporting rivalries and mocking each others relative accents.

But do ask them about the underarm bowling incident........ Yes that was quite a little show eh boys!

July is not the best time perhaps in NZ unless you like skiing and mountainous vistas, mostly in the South. Something the Aussies don't really have that many of (I'm surprised they haven't tried to flog them yet). But generally being winter it can be cold and wet over here and better in Aus.

The NZ Southern Alps

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
The scenery in NZ (especially South Island) is often at its best in July. The mountains are stunning with the snow and although the mornings may be frosty, the days can sunny with bright blue skies and very little wind. On the other hand you could have rain and snow - its the luck of the draw. Warm clothing and sitting around a fire would be part of the experience. In the twenty years that I have lived in NZ can't say I've ever felt the need to get away from the winters.
Scenery yes, riding conditions, not so great :).

Even if the roads are ridable, it'll be cold. For motorcyclists it's the sort of cold that cuts right to the bone and leaves you feeling chilled days after. Went back to NZ for a holiday with the kids - I had a rental car and seeing the motorcyclists coming down from the mountains brought back memories - bodies crouched right down - bike shaking slightly because the riders were shivvering uncontrollably. (Not pleasant memories ....).

A car is fine, but pay attention to the weather forecast and stay off the mountain roads if snow is expected.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
[QUOTE=PeterW;21335435]Even if the roads are ridable, it'll be cold. For motorcyclists it's the sort of cold that cuts right to the bone and leaves you feeling chilled days after. Went back to NZ for a holiday with the kids - I had a rental car and seeing the motorcyclists coming down from the mountains brought back memories - bodies crouched right down - bike shaking slightly because the riders were shivvering uncontrollably. (Not pleasant memories ....)./QUOTE]

Really?

I ride all year round and have no issues.

Appropriate gear helps.

Although if it's -5* or lower, I won't go out
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post

Even if the roads are ridable, it'll be cold. For motorcyclists it's the sort of cold that cuts right to the bone and leaves you feeling chilled days after. Went back to NZ for a holiday with the kids - I had a rental car and seeing the motorcyclists coming down from the mountains brought back memories - bodies crouched right down - bike shaking slightly because the riders were shivvering uncontrollably. (Not pleasant memories ....).

A car is fine, but pay attention to the weather forecast and stay off the mountain roads if snow is expected.

Pete
I am surprised. There are many of us who go touring in winter and I can't say I have ever seen the picture you describe. Must admit I have heated grips on both bikes and do resort to a Gerbing electric vest when it gets really cold. My wife who rides pillion has electric glove liners but for the rest we just rely on warm clothing. The pictures she takes from the pillion are often stunning and we probably do as many trips in winter as we do in summer.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
You've just got soft from living on the Gold Coast where even the rain is warm.

We don't have a riding "season" in this part of the world. Conditions and hazards just vary with the seasons is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
We have a trip plan at the end of July to Sydney and debating if to spend a week in Queenland Australia (warmer) or fulfill a dream of many years and visit New Zealand, all base in the "winter season"

Ps: we will have a 21month old baby with us..

PsII: somehow I have the impression you guys don't get along all that well, but please try to be honest with your comments about what makes the most sense for the three of us..
Quote:
Ps: we will have a 21month old baby with us...
Quote:
We will have a baby with us
Right... A small but important detail.... So. you won't be riding a motorbike then...

Were you planning on renting a car or a campervan? The worst part will be if you catch a nasty spell of weather and have to dash a few feet between a car and a motel in a shower.

Not sure what part of the US you're from. Do you have snow? Edit: I just saw your location, Salt lake city. Your winter weather is worse than ours!!! http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;...%20lake%20city Minus 5 Celcius holy crap!!.

Well, imagine if it was a mild clear day in winter, what would you take your bub outside in? Well same goes here... If the weather is crappy, then stay inside... If you're in a car, *turn the heater on...*

Quote:
or fulfill a dream of many years and visit New Zealand, .
Don't be put off by the weather. If you want to visit NZ, then do it.

Bub will be fine. It will be beautiful. You will have a great time. Just be realistic, you're on holiday *in winter*. Bring some warm clothing.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 02:17 PM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 2,969
Very cool.. (err.. no pun intended)

This website is great !! http://weatherspark.com/

FYI: Compare average winter temps from Salt Lake city with Christchurch NZ. (Christchurch is the southern most point with data on this website.)

At the peak of your winter Dec/Jan you spend more than 60% with temps freezing, and 30% cold, and god knows what purple means...

By comparison Christchurch spend 15% freezing, and 79 cold%, and the rest warmer.

Roughly speaking winter in Christchurch would be similar temps to March where you are. Wellington would be like April, And Auckland would be more like May.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 02:41 PM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote