User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 161
Lamp Fault

I installed the Denali D2's today. Before I tucked everything up and put the plastic back on the lights were working fine and no lamp fault. As soon as it was buttoned up and ready to roll, I turned the key on and now there is a LAMP fault on the computer. What exactly does the lamp fault mean? All lights are working and so is everything else. Any help or suggestions?

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,430
How did you power the lamps? Sounds like you pissed off the Canbus.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
How did you power the lamps? Sounds like you pissed off the Canbus.
It is hooked up through the canbus. The part that pisses me off is that I didn't get the Lamp fault until I had everything put back together. As I was putting it back together I kept checking to make sure everything worked and got no fault. I just wonder what exactly the fault means. So I don't have to go back through and check every connection, if I knew what it means when it show a fault I could go straight to the problem.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
I installed the Denali D2's today. Before I tucked everything up and put the plastic back on the lights were working fine and no lamp fault. As soon as it was buttoned up and ready to roll, I turned the key on and now there is a LAMP fault on the computer. What exactly does the lamp fault mean? All lights are working and so is everything else. Any help or suggestions?
Quote:
It is hooked up through the canbus.
Did you use the Canbus adapter that we (Twisted Throttle) sells?

This should solve your problem. If not, Please call our customer service number: 855-255-5550 the guys who pick up there can troubleshoot the issue for you.

Kevin
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,430
Sometimes Canbus has to think about it for a bit before complaining. Kinda like a slow blow fuse. What did you wire it to? A 55W headlight plus 20W for lamps (10x2) is like a 40% overdraw from what Canbus expects so it says WTF! Lamp!

If you want them to come on with the headlight then you need a relay setup. Although the basic LAMP indication is there, a GS911 or the dealer computer could read the exact fault. No draw/overdraw on X system.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Did you use the Canbus adapter that we (Twisted Throttle) sells?

This should solve your problem. If not, Please call our customer service number: 855-255-5550 the guys who pick up there can troubleshoot the issue for you.

Kevin
Yes, I used the canbus adapter from TT. Like I say, I was not getting a fault at first, but now I am. The question remains, since all the lights work and everything is working like it is supposed to, what do I do to satisfy the fault?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
What does it mean, "... hooked up through the canbus"?

I installed my Denali D2D lights without problem (other than the bracket for the switch that TT sold me does NOT fit the 2013 F800GS and I had to have it machined smaller to fit). I had used the TT Canbus adaptor to get a trigger wire for my fuse panel, so I already had that, and I hooked another wire up to the high beam light (so that I would have the dual-intensity feature) and instead of connecting the power leads directly to the battery as they suggested, I cut off the connectors and lengthened the wires (soldered and heat shrink tubing) and connected to my fuse panel. The whole thing works like a charm without any CanBus issues.

Quote:
It is hooked up through the canbus.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I used the canbus adapter from TT. Like I say, I was not getting a fault at first, but now I am. The question remains, since all the lights work and everything is working like it is supposed to, what do I do to satisfy the fault?
I wish I could help more but the guys in customer service can handle this issue for you. They know electricity and the Canbus system far better than I. My suggestion ask for Matt W when you get on the phone.

Kevin

twistedthrottle screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 07:29 AM
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Ok, so you're using the TT Canbus adapter for trigger (white) wire. How did you connect the blue wire for high beam? And did you connect the power leads directly to the battery or somewhere else?

You're saying that everything works, but you get that fault indication? Low beam, high beam, D2D's? Do you have it hooked up as single (high) or dual intensity? (You have the option during install.)

Quote:
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

The white wire is connected to the canbus adapter and the low beam wire right at the bulb. The blue wire is tapped into the high beam wire right at the bulb, it is wired for dual intensity and that works fine. The leads are connected to the battery as per instructions.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
check your low beam

Is your low beam bulb burned out?

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1P8RIOT View Post
Is your low beam bulb burned out?
No, all bulbs are working fine.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The white wire is connected to the canbus adapter and the low beam wire right at the bulb. The blue wire is tapped into the high beam wire right at the bulb, it is wired for dual intensity and that works fine. The leads are connected to the battery as per instructions.
This has been bugging me all day - you said:

"The white wire is connected to the Canbus adapter and the low beam wire"

If you have the white wire going to BOTH the pigtail on the Canbus adapter AND the low beam you will cause a fault.

Since I am not a tech I wanted you to go through the steps with them because I may have missed something critical. The head tech has no recollection of speaking with you today so I wanted to put that out there before the end of the work day. Try removing the connection to the low beam. This should resolve the issue.

Kevin
Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Thanks Kevin. I did call and talk to a guy, but it was not Matt. I told him exactly how I had it wired and he said, "Yep, that's how I'd do it." I could never get an answer to that question in my many e-mails with customer service. I was basically told to connect the white wire to the canbus adapter and then just follow the directions for the install of the lights, and the install says the white wire goes to the low beam. For someone who understands electrical systems this is probably obvious, but I told them I don't understand electrical systems, but I can follow directions. And that is what I did. I have been wondering this whole time, "Should it be connected to both?". But the lights worked so I left it. You are probably right. I will make that change when I get home and let you know.
The lights are COOL, by the way.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

FIXED. Working like a charm and no lamp fault. White wire to canbus adapter only, blue wire on high beam bulb. All tucked and looking nice. The reason I did not get a fault prior to finishing up is because I was just turning on the key which does not turn on the low beam light. When started the low beam came on and that is where I got the fault. We are good now.