Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Jdeks OP
Departed

Oddometer: 937
950 Adv overheating with two fans?

Hey everyone,

So I added a 2nd fan to my 04 Adv. Spliced it straight into the first fan's wiring, runs all fine and dandy, comes on with 5 bar on the temp gauge. But now it hits 5 bars way more frequently than it used to. It used to just come on in traffic or slogging around in 1st gear. But now,even cruising along dirt roads in 3rd at 60kph, 10 degrees outside, and the 5th bar lights up, fans buzzing away

It's not overheating per se - once it hits 5 bars and the fans come on, it cools down quick and switches off for a bit, then jumps back on, then off again, hovering around that upper 4th bar/lower 5th bar area. Never hits the 6th bar, even in hard work. When I put in the 2nd fan, I flushed and replaced the coolant. The radiator is full, and has stayed that way after a fair bit of riding so I assume its all burped out.

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing. I think it's because having a second fan actually blocks off a section of the radiator that would normally have clean airflow through it, so until it starts running, it's actually impeding cooling. But I thought I'd ask if other people with 2 fans have seen this happen on their bikes, before I go buy the lower temp thermostat.

Cheers !
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Sounds like a flow problem, either air or pump, check for collapsed hoses..

My bike 06 950, turns the fan on at 4 bars. Your temp sensor new old? they kinda fail randomly.. some last years, some dont..

Cheers
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Jdeks OP
Departed

Original switch. 04 bike, so it'd be nearly a decde old. But it obviously works - it's turning the fans on at the same place it always has - as soon as the 5th bar lights up.

I though air in the lines too at first, but in the months since the change, it's been bumped, jostled, dropped and wheelied all over the place, so I would think that would have worked any air pockets out? The radiator is full to the cap too, and I can't see any pinched hoses.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Dang,, there ain't much more to it, unless your pump is not moving the coolant correctly.. Has the pump ever been out?

Good Luck!
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Jdeks OP
Departed

The pump has been replaced for preventative maintennance. CJdesigns hardened shaft and pump seal put in about 15000km ago, working fine prior to installing 2nd fan, no sign of it failing. When I drained the coolant I also took off the right engine cover for other work, inspected the pump and all went well. Fairly sure I put it back together correctly (nothing fits together if you dont set the impeller shaft properly).

If the pump was fubar I think I'd be seeing far more severe overheating issues in any case.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
99spike
n99b

Oddometer: 10
My 2 fan kit came with a thermostat that switches 10deg cooler. Always runs 4 bar. I was led to believe that the thermostat was more important than the 2nd fan. The problem being that once too hot 1 fan cannot reduce temp, but if engaged soon enough 1 fan does fine. Also with 2nd fan insulated tanks. Did not test separately so can't confirm which change helped the most.
99spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Jdeks OP
Departed

Yea most kits seem to come with the low-temp switch.

But I'm a cheap bastard, who scrounged a second fan and cable-tied it on
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 521
I have no experience with a dual fan set-up, but here are 2 things to check:
1) Are both fans spinning in the right direction?
2) You said you scrounged a fan: Any fan & shroud will restrict air flow through the radiator. If it's not designed for the application it could be restricting a lot of air flow until it comes on, causing the engine heat-up sooner and more often than normal. That's probably why you need a cooler set thermostat for a second fan.

HeatXfer screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 06:38 AM
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Lower fan temp switch for sure

radiator cap opening can look full when there is an air bubble in the LH high radiator hose. I suggest burping it if you don't have someone to help lift the front wheel when adding coolant.

mud that becomes clay thrown into the radiator core from the front tire- I've doen some rides after a mud run and the bike ran hot until I soaked the dirt to get it soft enough to rinse out with a hose

I've also had a)old gas (<6 months) from another bike and b)low octane/high ethanol content gas cause the bike to run hot- hot enough to worry me. Run some premium/super in it, and check out www.pure-gas.org
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
But I thought I'd ask if other people with 2 fans have seen this happen on their bikes, before I go buy the lower temp thermostat.
Airflow on mine doesn't seem affected by the second fan (Head2wind fan kit)

This is interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Jdeks OP
Departed

Thanks everyone. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
I have no experience with a dual fan set-up, but here are 2 things to check:
2) You said you scrounged a fan: Any fan & shroud will restrict air flow through the radiator. If it's not designed for the application it could be restricting a lot of air flow until it comes on, causing the engine heat-up sooner and more often than normal. That's probably why you need a cooler set thermostat for a second fan.
Yes, both fans sucking air through from the front.

I'm thinking that 2) is probably the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
Lower fan temp switch for sure

radiator cap opening can look full when there is an air bubble in the LH high radiator hose. I suggest burping it if you don't have someone to help lift the front wheel when adding coolant.

mud that becomes clay thrown into the radiator core from the front tire- I've doen some rides after a mud run and the bike ran hot until I soaked the dirt to get it soft enough to rinse out with a hose

I've also had a)old gas (<6 months) from another bike and b)low octane/high ethanol content gas cause the bike to run hot
Only 98 RON ethanol free gas ever used in this bike. Radiator looks clean.

As for burping: like I said, this bike has been wheelied, laid over and generally ridden around for two months - surely this would have dislodged any air bubbles?

In any case Whats the proper procedure for burping, so I can eliminate that for certain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Airflow on mine doesn't seem affected by the second fan (Head2wind fan kit)
Did you go for the lower thermostat with his kit?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Did you go for the lower thermostat with his kit?
No, just the second fan. I would say my bike works in the same temp range as it did before the install, but now it cools down faster. No downsides on mine, I don't think I need the lower thermostat.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
This is interesting:
I don't know if it's a DC brush motor that's polarity sensitive, but I figure it's worth a look.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
KISS

Is the cap holding pressure? Does the cap gasket have cracks? Have you pressure tested the whole system? Is the thermostat stuck open?

If it's sucking air or not holding pressure it will get hot and cycle the fans more often. Stuck open thermostat will flow water too fast and it won't get cooled by air flow.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,464
Where did the "new" fan come from, assuming its a 4" fan? Is it intended for this application? How is the fan mounted?

Generally speaking, the increase in obstruction of adding a additional fan is offset by the ability of it to move more air when energized.... But this is based upon the fan/system that I built. With both the second fan AND the lower temp switch the temp gauge hovers right around 4 bars.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote