Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
Jdeks OP
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Is the cap holding pressure? Does the cap gasket have cracks? Have you pressure tested the whole system? Is the thermostat stuck open?
Doesn't piss out water when it's hot, no visible cracks on the cap gasket, so I assume it's holding pressure?

How do I check if the thermostat is stuck open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Where did the "new" fan come from, assuming its a 4" fan? Is it intended for this application? How is the fan mounted?
It's a KTM 4" fan, got it new from Pyndon. Zip tied it on with rubber grommets to damp vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Generally speaking, the increase in obstruction of adding a additional fan is offset by the ability of it to move more air when energized....
Yep, that makes sense. Mine is only heating quickly when the fans are off - as soon as they kick in, it drops back down to 4 bars usually fairly quickly, unless I'm really slogging it. I'm thinking with the lower thermostat, it would never leave 4 bars at all...except Goti doesn't have that lower switch and he stays on 4 bars anyway?

Here's the offending item:

Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
What about oil? What kind of oil are you running? Maybe a heavier weight?

I just installed my aux fan. Very recently so I haven't really had time to get the bike hot. Last summer one would come on in traffic and slow cruising around the trails here in MO where it gets pretty hot in the summer.

Now thats its April, the two days I have ridden it, they have not been hot. The fans haven't kicked on at all! Not even in traffic. So I hope they are even working since I hooked them back up.

I did however change the oil and have brand new oil in there. That maybe helps with cooling.

I do not have the lower temp switch.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Jdeks OP
Departed

The same old Motorex fully synth stuff that KTM recommends. Same as always.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #19
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
it would never leave 4 bars at all...except Goti doesn't have that lower switch and he stays on 4 bars anyway?
Well, actually I see 5 bars lots of times (traffic, slow off road,...) but I would say it was the same before the second fan install. The airflow should be worst than before but I can't tell the difference.

Try removing the second fan see what happens?

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #20
Muug
Muug

Oddometer: 34
demito has the same problem: two fans and too hot, you can find him (here, perhaps, too) on lc8.nl.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #21
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,561
It seams pretty obvious from my couch, that adding more odstruction will cause the temp to rise faster, and the second fan will help cool it back down faster. I think you answered this question yourself numerous times, but are just looking for reassurance.
Sounds like a good trade off. I wouldn't worry about it.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
Jdeks OP
Departed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
It seams pretty obvious from my couch, that adding more odstruction will cause the temp to rise faster, and the second fan will help cool it back down faster. I think you answered this question yourself numerous times, but are just looking for reassurance.
Sounds like a good trade off. I wouldn't worry about it.

I just want reassurance! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Actually, I just wanted to see what people thought, in case there was something sinister going on and I was too dumb to see it. Got a trip into a desert in the coming weeks - figured I probably want to make sure my cooling system is all tickety-boo.

Goti, thanks for clarifying. It's sounding like your bike is behaving similarly to mine, so now I can go feel warm and fuzzy,
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Doesn't piss out water when it's hot, no visible cracks on the cap gasket, so I assume it's holding pressure?

How do I check if the thermostat is stuck open?

There doesn't need to be a visible leak. You can't assume the cap is good, pressure test it or replace it. Pressure test the whole system to make sure it's holding pressure, pressure is how it stays cool.

Take the thermostat out and look at it.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
If that's the thermosat (stops water flowing out the engine until about 80deg +) and not the temp switch (turns the fans on) then an open thermostat will run the engine cooler - if the bike is not flat out at low speeds the engine temp will be too low nearly all the time.

The thermostat may not be opening properly (less flow through the rads) but doesn't sound like it really. If you need to test it drop it in boiling water and look at how far it opens.

I run a lower temp switch with my 2x fans and works great in the desert - the switch is the same as a car type but forget which make/model at the moment.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
Jdeks OP
Departed

Quote:
There doesn't need to be a visible leak. You can't assume the cap is good, pressure test it or replace it. Pressure test the whole system to make sure it's holding pressure, pressure is how it stays cool.

Okie doke, thanks. What's the procedure for pressure-testing?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #26
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 880
I had similar symptoms to what you've described, I replaced the cap as part of a systematic process of elimination, Problem disappeared.
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #27
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,516
Similar problems experienced atm. Coolant leak - only very slight from the impeller cover seal. No seal lets the pressure out and coolant boil making everything else very hot. I only noticed it as there was a little weep in the void just to the front of the clutch.
Hard to catch as it was evaporating with the heat of the motor when I stopped.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
Jdeks OP
Departed

Larry, Pete, you were right. In the worst way.

The breather hose is full of yellow oily gunk, and I.just dumped the oil, its ever so slightly milky. Oil filter has a slight wave in some slats. So there is.indeed a coolant leak...but where??

First instinct says pump seal, but its only about 20000km old. The seal at the base of the case breather hose is only 2000km old too, but theres evidence of milky oil coming out of the hollow balancer shaft . Someone else told me replace head gaskets!! Could they be the culprit? I would think I'd see oil outside the case for that, but I don't. However, when I did the valves 2000km ago I.re-torqued the head nuts (one by one, of.course). Could that have unsettled the gaskets and started a leak? Do I have to replace them or.just re torque the head nuts? They are the updated ones with washers

What else could cause milky oil to come out the breather hose?

Jdeks screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 11:36 PM
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #29
Jdeks OP
Departed

Update: pulled the pump seal, covered in grey goop, visible coolant on the oil side of the seal. So I think (hope) its the seal, not the gaskets.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #30
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Update: pulled the pump seal, covered in grey goop, visible coolant on the oil side of the seal. So I think (hope) its the seal, not the gaskets.
Id be very surprised if it were the head gaskets, theyre very robust and there sould have been other symptoms. Thats easy to check with a cylinder pressure test.

You havent said if you thoroughly flushed the coolant system when you did the seal last time. When I did mine I got about 2 table spoons of sand/grit out of it and therein lied the problem. Having said that the original seal did very well to last 30k km with that much crap circulating around.

Re-do the seal and make sure your careful with the lip. Let us know how you get along.