User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
Beeminsince75
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Bing vs Mikuni

Im on my second set of Mikunis due to Hurricane Sandy on my R/100/S , and the local BS that kept me out of my town for two weeks so they could rust up real good. Personally I would never go back to Bing flying saucer carbs. as mine were rebuilt before I purchased bike and failed within first year I owned it. I was able to eBay mine for almost as much as new Mikunis cost and they were so simple to install and worked great with little or no adjustment at all. There are two drawbacks I have found and if you can live with them then great. First is choke must be set on carbs to start. one on right and other on left. I would take off with choke on and reach down to turn them off. Other is when using throttle and emergency braking occurs the engine likes to stall if I pull in clutch and don't blip the throttle. This may be an adjustment but as other comment said do you want to play with bike or ride? The performance change was dramatic. I felt like bike was born again when I installed Mikunis.
Beeminsince75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
See? This is what I'm talking about. There is no real consensus on this board but you guys have me thinking about staying with the Bings.

My history with carb work is not pretty. I own the Bing cd on rebuilds but.....

Thanks for all the replies.
Opinions, no consensus here. Very few agree, so now you've been warned. I had some weird stuff going on with my Bings, and moved up to Mikunis. I would never had switched if I didn't start racing and if I didn't have a few friends close by that had done the same thing. Got any airheads around your 'hood? If you're nervous about rebuilding the bings, send them out but you will still have to sync them....might as well dig in. Take good pics, and do one at a time and start a thread. We will help you out. Here's the thread Bgood was talking about.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 987
Bing? Mikuni? Amal? Easy stuff, now SU, that's something to bitch about! And then there's Jikov . . .
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,675
Well after much deliberation (and a few beers) I have decided to give it a go with rebuilding the Bings myself. So as soon as I can find a couple hundred bucks that the wife doesn't know about, I will order the kits.

I've got all my friends here on ADV to help me out, what's the worst that could happen?

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #20
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Go with the bings.......unless someone gives you absolutely hard wired set up info for the for your bike that they will stand behind.........Mikunis are infinitely adjustable, they need to be to fit the wide variety of bikes that they fit to, and it seems that quite a number of people fit Mikunis and then spend a lot of time getting them set up properly. You also need to fit the carbs properly with whatever is required to fit the AirTubes etc etc. Get a quote from Motobins for the rebuild kits, postage from the UK won't be expensive.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeminsince75 View Post
There are two drawbacks I have found and if you can live with them then great. First is choke must be set on carbs to start. one on right and other on left. I would take off with choke on and reach down to turn them off. Other is when using throttle and emergency braking occurs the engine likes to stall if I pull in clutch and don't blip the throttle. This may be an adjustment but as other comment said do you want to play with bike or ride? The performance change was dramatic. I felt like bike was born again when I installed Mikunis.
Beeminsince75, You can set up the choke the same way the Bings are with the airbox or handlebar mounted lever. All you need to get are the cable operated choke plungers, make some new cables and you'll be good to go. Sudco will have the parts for the Mikunis, Motion Pro makes cables.
If the engine wants to stall under hard breaking, check your float level. The fuel sloshes forward in the bowl and is forced up through the pilot jet, drowning the engine.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

You can get the kits for about $75 (does both carbs) from MAX and there used to be a much cheaper source that was listed in either Tips & Tricks or Dark Secrets, but I don't know if that one is still legit.

As already mentioned, it's straightforward. You can do it.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
You can get the kits for about $75 (does both carbs) from MAX and there used to be a much cheaper source that was listed in either Tips & Tricks or Dark Secrets, but I don't know if that one is still legit.

As already mentioned, it's straightforward. You can do it.
You can also get kits to do 2 carbs for less than $28 delivered from these folks http://www.eubmw.com/Carb.html.
Their kit includes all the o rings, diaphragms, float bowl and choke gaskets. No floats or other parts. Those parts will allow you to clean everything and get the carbs put back together. That is all most carbs will need but some may need additional parts.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
You can also get kits to do 2 carbs for less than $28 delivered from these folks http://www.eubmw.com/Carb.html.
Their kit includes all the o rings, diaphragms, float bowl and choke gaskets. No floats or other parts. Those parts will allow you to clean everything and get the carbs put back together. That is all most carbs will need but some may need additional parts.

Chuck
That's the one, thanks Chuck.