ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Road to the Bar Ten Ranch

I am looking for information on the road to the Bar Ten Ranch.

I am in the planning stages of a trip to the Southwest this September. I would like to take in the Bar Ten Ranch. From the research I could find. It looks like a pretty sedate gravel road. However the Bar Ten webstite implies it might get pretty rough in spots. Since I will be 2up and fully loaded on a coast to coast tour I would prefer not to end up at the bottom of a gully.

I will be on a Tiger 800xc by the way. The missus and I do ride 2up on these Eastern forest roads all the time. So steepness and switchbacks are not really an issue. Just looking to be a little better informed.

Yankee Dog screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 05:22 AM
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post

I am in the planning stages of a trip to the Southwest this September. I would like to take in the Bar Ten Ranch. From the research I could find. It looks like a pretty sedate gravel road. However the Bar Ten webstite implies it might get pretty rough in spots. Since I will be 2up and fully loaded on a coast to coast tour I would prefer not to end up at the bottom of a gully.

I will be on a Tiger 800xc by the way. The missus and I do ride 2up on these Easter forest roads all the time. So steepness and switchbacks are not really an issue. Just looking to be a little better informed.

They mean very rough in your Honda civic.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,418
EZ PZ. Check out my rr from last year.

When are you going? We'll be there Friday of Memorial weekend.

You can stay in a covered wagon motel room.

Be sure to make prior arrangements if you need food, accommodations, or fuel. It's all expensive, but the only thing around for hundreds of miles. They are VERY nice people.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,893
+ 1 on what browneye said.

another ride report from 2011
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8376&page=1476
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the information. Kind of what I expected, but I needed more warm and fuzzy.

BE - Great ride report. Makes me want to add more dirt to the route. So many roads. So little time. But our trip isnt planned until September, so plenty of time to tweak the route.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I see that Chris Crawford has a ride scheduled for Oct. Here is a link to his site:

http://www.crawdadoffroadevents.com/...lendar/view/88

I did this ride two years ago and it was a ball. Read the ride reports. We started from Mesquite and were given downloads to our GPS. Bar 10 is a great place and Oct should be nicer than Sept if you want and can change your schedule.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Kind of what I expected, but I needed more warm and fuzzy.

BE - Great ride report. Makes me want to add more dirt to the route. So many roads. So little time. But our trip isnt planned until September, so plenty of time to tweak the route.

No problem, we're here to help if you need it.

Joel (NSFW) put the north rim ride together for a dozen hearty offroaders. I was along for the adventure. This year a few of us are going again with a new crop of inmates. Doing more riding on Kaibab Plateau this year. It's way stupid beautiful up there.

I'll see if I can find the RR from a fellow from AZ that rides that area extensively. Pro photographer too, great RR. Maybe Joel can remember that one. You remember his ADV handle Joel? The guy that rode his road bike to Sublime Point?

Here's a couple'a teaser pics...
Bar-Ten 'hotel rooms'

Sublime Point

Our ride group at Sublime

Toroweep

Toroweep rim

Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Man View Post
I see that Chris Crawford has a ride scheduled for Oct. Here is a link to his site:

http://www.crawdadoffroadevents.com/...lendar/view/88

I did this ride two years ago and it was a ball. Read the ride reports. We started from Mesquite and were given downloads to our GPS. Bar 10 is a great place and Oct should be nicer than Sept if you want and can change your schedule.

Thanks for the offer, but we are headed up into Colorado after the Canyon. Getting into October starts to risk snow. And my climatized Alabama blood is too thin for the white stuff these days. And considering how I will be loaded I am not sure I am up for some of the riding I have seen in Crawdads ride reports.

I would like to make it out to Point Sublime. However it seems the Forest Service folks have the road closed more often than not. Wish me luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I was there for the first time last Feb. Tried 2 years earlier but turned around because of mud. Good gravel road as far as the Bar Ten, but some of it could be ugly if it rains. The 8 miles or so (might be wrong on mileage) from Bar Ten to the Canyon is pretty good 2 track with a few rocky sections (carry tire repairs) and small hills, but nothing to tuff. Watch out for local rancher types that think they're the only ones on the road! Bring food, water & gas! Pretty desolate country but definately worth the trip.

Quote:

I will be on a Tiger 800xc by the way. The missus and I do ride 2up on these Eastern forest roads all the time. So steepness and switchbacks are not really an issue. Just looking to be a little better informed.
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I'll see if I can find the RR from a fellow from AZ that rides that area extensively. Pro photographer too, great RR. Maybe Joel can remember that one. You remember his ADV handle Joel? The guy that rode his road bike to Sublime Point?

Found him... Dave6253. Here's one of his 25 ride reports, the one from his trip to Toroweep: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591452

Check out his RR link in his sig, good stuff on Grand Canyon North Rim. Lot's a great pics.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Found him... Dave6253. Here's one of his 25 ride reports, the one from his trip to Toroweep: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591452

Check out his RR link in his sig, good stuff on Grand Canyon North Rim. Lot's a great pics.

Oh thats just great news

Now I have to add Toroweap to my list of destinations.

Thanks for the links. great ride reports.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Oh thats just great news

Now I have to add Toroweap to my list of destinations.

Thanks for the links. great ride reports.

Ha...lots to see out there. If you want another day adventure ride out to Sublime Point. Should be do-able on the Tiger with two. Not far from the town of North Rim. Said to be the best views of the entire Grand Canyon.

Speaking of which, North Rim Lodge would be a great place to stay for a night or two as well. Kinda touristy, but your S-O might enjoy the pampering. Nice place!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ha...lots to see out there. If you want another day adventure ride out to Sublime Point. Should be do-able on the Tiger with two. Not far from the town of North Rim. Said to be the best views of the entire Grand Canyon.

Speaking of which, North Rim Lodge would be a great place to stay for a night or two as well. Kinda touristy, but your S-O might enjoy the pampering. Nice place!
right along the lines of what I am thinking.

Day 1 - Vegas to the Bar Ten

Day 2 - Bar Ten to the North Rim Lodge via Toroweap

Day 3 - Sublime Point and return to Lodge

The remaining week and a half are still in the planning stages. But they involve Zion and Kolob Reservoir so far.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

If you're going that far north then hit Dixie Forest and Cedar Breaks. Spectactular. The pass going down to Cedar City is a blast - should be open now. They were rebuilding the road (Hwy 14) after a slide a couple of years ago.

From Zion, the hiway east of there (89) goes up the east border of Dixie, you can then ride dirt to Navajo Lake. East of 89 there's a dirt route that's easy and scenic, puts you up over the plateau and back over to the 89. Navajo is very pretty, sits at 9K feet. There are cabins for rent on the lake. Cedar Breaks is really close up there. This was the last leg of our trip. I split off and the rest went down to Zion the last day and then back west to Mesquite.

This year we're spending more time on Kaibab Plateau, not going that far north into Utah.

I would love to ride ol'lady to Navajo and Cedar Breaks on the Tiger. Stay at the lake, ride to Cedar City.

Can send you tracks if you like.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

The current plan (subject to a lot of change) is to exit Zion toward the West. Take the road out of Vigin up to Kolob Resevoir and continue on the dirt to 14 somewhere East of Cedar City.

I recently saw some pics of the Cedar Breaks so we will ride through there and then pick up 12 and take it to vic Capital Reef. Then to Moab, Crested Butte and Colorado Springs.

We basically have two weeks to make if from Vegas back home to Alabama. Seems like plenty of time but there is a pot of stuff to see. Choices and decsions.

The trip doesnt begin until September, so there is plenty of time for adjustments.