Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
I put this in the front page nominations thread....
Laconic: Thank you so much! I don't know what else to say except thank you and I take that as a huge honor that someone thought my photo (and really, my wife's....it was her idea to change it to sepia) was worthy of the front page. Even if it doesn't get picked you posting it on the submissions page is honor enough.
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,298
You're welcome!
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Nice report...
I also have a few questions as to how you decided on your bike. Have some 50 to 100 mile loops I cover often would like to see how your bike travels in my neighborhood. Another inmate who I have conversed with has a crf250l perhaps we can do a li'l run together. Will PMail you soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Day 2, "The big hill and the busted hose"

After conquering the “giant” boulder strewn crossing , learning to decipher Mountain Man gibberish while refereeing a nice lady argument and crushing the 4 hour land speed record for travel between Crown King and Prescott, I felt like the excellent yet humble hero I just knew I would become upon emerging from that first magical trail off of Pioneer Rd ,though now that I look at the words I type humble is starting to look like a bit of a stretch.

It’s funny, but in a way that 200 yard nothing of a barbed wire dead end trail, the start of my ADVenture riding experience, ended up being exactly what I dreamed it would be when I was airing down my tires at the entrance. Granted, at the time it was nothing but a frustratingly short barbed wire dead end trail, however, it was in fact my first “off the beaten path” trail (by about 83 feet, that’s how far to my right I-17 was, you can see it in the photo, someone could chuck a can at me from their car while doing 75 mph and have a pretty good chance of hitting me….so, yeah, off the beaten path) and for this ride it was the rough start to my smooth end. It didn’t lead me where I wanted to go, it didn’t live up to my grandiose expectations of being nOOb friendly as well as challenging and 3 minutes later when I emerged from it I sure didn’t feel excellent, just a little bit disappointed. What it was though was a very little, very tiny bit of adversity and I survived it, moved on and was successful in my overall goal. I didn’t even recognize at the time that it was an adversity and in the grand scheme of life it’s not even worthy of being called an adversity, but in the context of a brand new ADVenture rider with almost no idea what the hell he is doing and lusting for a trail to ride that’s exactly what it was………and THAT gentleman and ladies is exactly what I think this ADVenture riding stuff is all about, surviving IT….whatever IT is, and often times IT is ADVersity.

ADVrider….ADVenture….ADVersity ….coincidence????? I THINK NOT!

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************

I’d like to say that I started Saturday off two hours before the crack of dawn slugging down boiling hot black coffee and dry toast before kick starting a bike with one magical kick in the cold before tearing off up the steep, twisting, rutted, loose, rock littered hill for a day of wickedly skillful and dangerous ADVenture riding.

I didn’t.

I like sleep, I like cream and sugar in my coffee, I like butter and jelly on my toast, my bike has a battery operated magic button and the steep, twisting, rutted, loose, rock littered hill that starts at the end of my driveway intimidates me a little.

This is the easy part of the hill…..

Honestly, on Saturday I almost didn’t go riding at all. My ADVenture the day before was incredibly satisfying and I didn’t really feel the desire to go out exploring. I was enjoying relaxing and hanging out with the wife and kids with no set plan or anything that needed to be done. A rarity with full time jobs, three kids and a cabin that needs work! The weather had turned cold and extremely windy and I was a little wiped out from the day before so for most of the day I just hung out, relaxed, went to town with the wife and kids to get shakes from McDonalds and leach their free wifi for a bit. We then came home and grilled up some burgers for a late lunch / early dinner. By the afternoon though, the wind had calmed down, the drive to town and back took me past several forest service trails and dirt roads that I have been eyeing and wanting to explore and the itch to get on the bike and take a ride just couldn’t be ignored. As I sat on the porch looking at the bike I came up with a ride plan and a few minutes later I suited up and told the family I’d be back in a little bit.

My ride plan was simple. Go down the driveway, turn right and conquer the steep, twisting, rutted, loose, rock littered hill that starts at the end of my driveway. Simple!

The first picture is from a little below my driveway. This is the entrance to my driveway and a right hand turn exiting it takes you up what you saw in the first photo...

The first part of the hill is pretty long, so here is a shot from the mid way point looking down.....

About 3/4 of the way up looking back down.....

Still a little bit more to go before the first turn....

From there it twists and turns right, no flat spot to stop, and goes up a short distance....

Once you go up that you can stop (if you want to, I don't....I might think better of it and not start again) and look behind you and see that this is what you went through after that first no stop turn.....

And this is what is next....

You're halfway up this section now and you can stop again at the next turn which would be a good idea....

You've gained around 150 of altitude and gone about .18 mi. The easy part is over. Here is where the SUCK starts....

Left or right line, your choice. The right looks cleaner, but the left sets you up for the right hand turn at the top. I take the left.....

You've made it to the halfway mark and this is what is next. Don't try to stop here though, it's steep, loose and off camber.....

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m a nOOb at this stuff….. and as such steep, twisting, rutted, loose, rock littered hills aren’t exactly my strong point. I recognize that and feel it’s something I need to change, I need it to become a strong point so in my future ADVentures I won’t be held back when I see a steep, twisting, rutted, loose, rock littered hill in my path, which is really often in Arizona. Now for many of you this hill from the very bottom to the tip top would probably be nothing more than a good time, but for me it is a challenge calling out for me to not just conquer it but to DESTROY it and with it any intimidation it holds over me.

7164 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 02:40 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #20
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

There is a reason I wanted… no….. NEEDED to both conquer and destroy this hill!

Your now looking back at the half way mark from about half way up the last picture. That telephone pole in the middle of the photo is basically the halfway mark at the apex of that turn. It's tough to tell, but there is now large chunks of solid rock covered in loose granite sticking out everywhere as you climb. The sections between turns aren't really shortter in lenght but steeper so they look that way.....

The interesting thing is I’ve actually cleaned this entire hill going up about 3 weeks before, but it was a bit of an accident.

When my wife and I bought the cabin we knew the road in front of it was in poor shape and that the winter would probably do some damage to it, which it did, but not any more than we expected. What we didn’t realize is that the rest of the road above us, just a bit after about the second turn, would be practically destroyed by the winter snow fall. Before the winter came the worst part of the road was actually the part directly in front of our property, mostly at the end of our driveway, but once you rounded the first bend it smoothed out and only had one or two rough spots. Apparently the 10’ish feet of snow we got up there washed away the road when it melted turning the once steep but smooth road into a jumbled pile of loose rocks. Since our cabin / road is on the north side of the mountain it keeps snow and Ice until the very end and is all but impossible to go up until all of the snow melts. Because of that I hadn’t driven my truck up the road at all before attempting it the first time on the bike.

This much further to go and you're at the next turn. This section and the section after the turn actually get easier....don't get fooled, its a dirty trick for whats to come......

The first time I went up it on the bike I was right in the middle of it before I realized how bad it was and I had no choice but to push on. I was extremely surprised and just KNEW I wasn’t going to make it, but I figured I couldn’t give up and I had to at least ride the bike all the way to the scene of the crash!

***NOTE: I CAN NOT TAKE CREDIT IN ANY WAY FOR THAT LAST LINE. IT IS FROM ANOTHER INMATES SIGNATURE AND IT ACTUALLY SAYS SOMETHING LIKE “DON’T STOP RIDING THE BIKE UNTIL AFTER YOU REACH THE SCENE OF THE CRASH. If YOU DO THAT YOU JUST MIGHT AVOID THE CRASH ALL TOGETHER”****...…I probably botched and butchered the saying, but that’s the gist of it. I read that line early on in my lurking on this site and it stuck with me. It is 100% true and is by far the best advice I have ever read on here. The saying is basically a mantra that I repeat in my head any time it gets a little out of hand on the trail and I credit it with saving my ass more than once! (I should probably send that guy a PM to say thanks, or a six pack or something and if I could remember whose signature line it is I WOULD!)

Through some stroke of luck I made it to the top clean! And that was the beginning of a very hard lesson I had to learn.

The turn itself sucks but once you round it this is what is ahead of you. The trail becomes ever so slightly less steep and almost seems to smooth out a bit. It looks like a short shot to the next turn but its not that is a bump in the road that hides the length.

This is how far you actually traveled to get to the last turn of the hill......

See, three weeks ago after making it to the top by accident I felt like I could ride anything and I didn’t take any time to evaluate how out of my element I was during the event and see what I could learn from it or what I could do better to make the next clean trip up the hill a matter of skill and not luck. Instead I took off down the back side of the mountain which is much easier. Apparently I was spooked enough by the climb that I didn’t want to go back down the way I came up, but too nOOb to realize it and figure out what I needed to change. The hard part of the lesson came when I mistook luck for skill and thought “I am Billy BadAss and I can really ride this thing”

I am NOT Billy BadAss……

….I can BARELY ride this thing

The crash didn’t happen on the hill, it was shortly after while taking a flat smooth turn too fast and I ultimately high sided the bike.

Nothing other than my pride and the handlebars were damaged. I already knew that my pride was expensive to repair…..usually costs blood, sweat and tears….but I was pleasantly surprised to find out how cheap dirt bike handle bars are

I knew INSTANTLY that my overconfidence from making it up the hill had contributed to the crash and that I was lucky, not skillful, in my success up the hill. I also realized right then how spooked I had been fighting the bike up the hill in the first place and the combination of events and realizations led to my current intimidation by the hill, or more accurately my concern that I would screw up again……and I don’t mean crash or drop the bike, that is going to happen, I mean have such a mental lapse that my ego can be so falsely inflated.

You've rounded the last corner. The top is almost in site.....

But you're going to have to earn it.....

No Ansel Adams mad photo skills being used here.....

If anything I made it look BETTER than what it is.....

The hill, from bottom to top, is .44 miles long. You gain over 450ft of altitude.

My ride plan today was to concur the hill and destroy anything it held over me……….

I made it to right about here……

Damn it!!!! Yeah, that's my gouge mark.....

It was a very low speed drop, and have no doubt I was bummed about not cleaning the hill…BUT…I wasn’t totally defeated. I actually rode the hill with intention this time, not just blind luck and when I dropped the bike I saw the obstacle coming and I attempted to correct my line in a controlled and deliberate manner, but alas I failed. The damage to my pride was minimal and to the bike even less and to my body none at all…..sweet!

All I had to fix was the right bark buster. It spun upwards on the bar but did its job and protected the brake lever and “gave” instead of bending the handle bars……again

I picked the bike up and while doing so I thought crap this thing is HEAVY! It wasn’t this heavy last time I picked it up and that’s when I realized that last time I was adrenaline charged by the sudden loss of control and high side, but this time I was calm, collected and in control when the drop happened. Hmmmmmm, I AM learning….YEAH ME!!!!……..stupid fucking hill

I jumped back on the bike, kick started the magic button with me thumb and easily rode the last 50 feet or so to the top of the hill where I planned on fixing the bark buster. Just as I crested the hill I ran smack into the middle of a flock of about 8 or 9 wild Turkey’s crossing the road! I quickly killed the engine and stopped in the hopes that I wouldn’t spook them until after I got my camera out……no dice. While I ran around the bike like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get my camera out and realizing that all eight of my fingers had turned into thumbs the turkeys took off like……well, wild turkeys….not really the most common phrase, but they were wild turkeys so it would be dumb to say they took off like anything else.

If you look closely you can barely see the red of one’s beard hiding behind a downed tree limb and another one in the middle of the photo.

There is probably several more Turkeys in the photo and if anyone can spot one, …..I’m between like 71 and 64 percent sure there are more in the photo…..I’ll buy you a beer next time (first time) we meet.

The turkeys came along at just the right time. The excitement of seeing them cleared the air over dropping the bike and took my mind off over analyzing what, why and how it happened. While busting out the tools and fixing the bark buster I thought about how I’m going to seriously look into getting a GoPro so I can video when I ride and not have to fight with getting a camera out as much. It will make my middle kid especially happy. She loves animals, motorcycles and had the following conversation with me the night before:

“Dad you should get one of those video cameras for your bike when you ride”
“I agree! I think it would be neat for you to see the stuff I see when I’m out riding”
“Yeah, and we can watch when you WRECK TOO!!!”

If I’d had a video of today’s events she would have been in heaven!

I have since banned her from watching any more YouTube “fail” videos and I’m considering grounding her out of spite.

7164 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 02:47 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #21
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

After fixing the bark buster I took off down the back side of the mountain and headed to the trail head I wanted to explore. I had found this trail by accident during the winter while snowmobiling. A few months earlier when the snow base was about 5 ft I had started at the opposite end of this trail not knowing it popped out a very short distance from my cabin. Now every time I drive down the road where the trail pop’s out I think I wonder what that looks like on the bike? Today I decided it was time to find out.

What I discovered is that it is much more narrow and a whole lot rockier than when it has 5 ft of snow on it, but not NEARLY as cold. I found that while it was really neat to ride between the tall pines the rocky climbs were wiping me out and they weren’t even steep. I wasn’t exactly up on my confidence today and after several small hills I was gassed and ready for a break so I stopped. As soon as I stopped I could smell the faint sickly sweet odor of coolant but I didn’t think too much of it. When I dropped the bike earlier I saw a small dribble of blue coolant on the engine case and figured it was from the overflow tube on the reservoir bottle leaking a little out as it lay on its side. That happened when I high sided it too.

A little off topic here, but I think it is super cool that Yamaha uses a blue colored coolant. I don’t know why that fascinates me so much but when I high sided the bike a few weeks ago I freaked out when I saw blue liquid coming out onto the ground. I spent several very tense moments looking the bike over and trying to figure out what, other than windshield washer fluid, would be blue so I could find where it was coming from. I quickly ruled out windshield washer fluid as the liquid dribbling out onto the ground because I haven’t even ordered a windscreen yet (I may never order one…..the wind protection would be nice but I’m not sure it would be worth the hassle of wiring in the window wiper and sprayer system ……and where would I mount the reservoir bottle?) After a little digging around I found out it was coolant which made me panic even more. 1) How badly did I bust up my radiator and 2) Why would they use window washer fluid for coolant? My best guess is that when I found out the fluid was just a little overflow coming out the tube from the bike being sideways I was so relieved, that the blue coolant suddenly became way more impressive than it should be.

This, however, was way….. Less…. Cool………CRAP! It looks like when I dropped the bike the edge of the hose clamp got pushed up and fileted the hose

YUP!

The fortunate thing here is that the hose was not punctured and pissing out liquid like a 20 year old, it was fileted and dribbling out liquid like an old man with prostate problems.

Even better it was only doing it when the system was under pressure. Basically while running or shortly after. At this point I knew my day was done and I was thankful that I wasn’t very far from the cabin. I did however have a huge dilemma in front of me. Do I turn around now and try to go down the rocky hills that I just had so much difficulty climbing (going downhill over loose rocks wasn’t something I had ever done) or press on forward since the trail had gotten out of the water run off areas and was now much smoother dirt. I weighed the pros and cons of both options for several minutes while tinkering with the hose and coming to the conclusion that it was safe to ride back to the cabin in either direction.

The pros for turning around were: It was the shortest route to the cabin and I knew what the trail was
The cons were: It was further to a road if I did need rescue and………. I knew what the trail was!

The pros for pressing forward were: It was smoother and it was closer to a dirt road for rescue.
The cons were: It was further over all to the cabin and I didn’t know what the………

Ohhhhhh…..sonnn-ooofff-aaaaa-bitch………trail was!

I guess I picked the wrong one

No going around that!

I’ve decided now is as good a time as any to learn to go downhill over rocky trails!

There was actually a little more thought put into my decision to go the way I did before I took off forward instead of turning around. Basically it came down to a “what do I have to lose by trying?” decision. I could either turn around and face something I didn’t really feel like facing, or I could push forward and risk having to turn around and face something I didn’t really feel like facing.

“It Seemed like a good idea at the time, Sir”, and unlike the many times I’ve had to say that in the past, I think I would make the same decision again today.

When I was forced to turn around and started going down the rocky hills for the first time, my muscle memory took over and I found that without thinking I was standing on the pegs, shifting my weight around to steer the bike and letting the handlebars remain loose but controlled going over the loose stuff while controlling speed with the back AND front brake. The point where I realized this and had my A-HA!!! moment was when I let go of the brake to gain speed and free the front wheel a fraction of a second before hitting a larger rock. As the front rolled over the rock and I weight shifted to keep the back from hitting it and possibly getting hung up I realized that this was EXACTLY like taking a technical downhill on my mountain bike. It clicked!! I figured it out!!!!

STOP riding this thing like a small motorcycle and START riding it like a giant mountain bike!!!

Finally, the “benefits” part of being a nOOb with benefits kicked in. I started picking my lines faster and with better results, I started steering the bike around with my feet and shifting my weight to keep in or out of certain lines. I started bouncing the suspension with my weight and pulling up with my arms and leaning my upper and lower body in opposite directions than I normally would because I was now riding a giant mountain bike with an engine. By the time I got to my third downhill section I had it down and I started throwing some more gas into the mix and was really cruising (for me). When I came to a slight uphill I took the line I would of on my mountain bike and I whacked the throttle open for a split second to really *attack* the hill (shit tons easier than peddling by the way) and the bike bucked, bounced, slid and squirmed in very familiar and comfortable fashion.

I not only felt like I was having fun, but I felt relieved that I had finally figured some part of this whole thing out. It was so much fun that I was SHOCKED when I came to another tree down in the trail . I couldn’t figure it out! I was riding back down the exact same trail I had just ridden up. This tree was NOT here a few minutes ago.

Is it possible that a tree actually fell blocking the exit part of the trail while I was out on it? Ahhhh, crap! Do I now have to walk to the cabin and get the chainsaw just to get the bike out of here?

This is another moment that I wish I had a GoPro. As I sat looking at the tree trying to figure out what to do I turned the bike off and asked out lout “where the fuck did that come from?” I then turned to look behind me and discovered that I had missed the exit to the road by about 10 feet and it was literally in a straight line right behind me. OOPS!

Once I got turned around it was a quick ride to the cabin where I sat and assessed the damage to the radiator hose a little more and tried to come up with a plan to prevent me from having to put the bike in the truck for the trip home.

I started to formulate a plan and went inside to beg sympathy from my family to make me feel better about the ADVersity I had faced during my short ADVenture. The only thing keeping my spirits up was the fact that I felt like I made a breakthrough after turning around at the tree and being forced to go down hill, but even that made me a little bitter.

I made a HUGE breakthrough on a now busted bike. I felt a bit like a kid that licked the ice cream right off the cone onto the ground. You know you’ll get another ice cream cone but it doesn’t help to temper the loss of the one you had until it is actually in your hand and ready to be licked.

Until the hose is fixed and the bike is being ridden again I’m going to feel like crap!

I had a plan to try and save the last day of my ride and keep the bike out of the bed of the truck but I had no idea if it would work. I sat there trying to figure it all out until something outside caught my eye and made me quit feeling sorry for myself.

Not too bad!

Stay tuned for Day 3, "Rescue tape to the Rescue"

7164 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 02:48 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
Nice report...excellent writing style!

The key to riding off road is to first learn to control the bike, and "read" the terrain in front of you. Speed will naturally come once you have things well under control.
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
WV Firefighter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Great report. I love it when those "Ah ha" moments happen!
1981 HD Low Rider (For Sale)
WV Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
Wyo-Obie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
"...I like sleep, I like cream and sugar in my coffee, I like butter and jelly on my toast, my bike has a battery operated magic button..."

You speak truth.

"...I was pleasantly surprised to find out how cheap dirt bike handle bars are."

Yet another reason for havin' a dual-sport.

You gotta flair for storytellin'. Keep it up.
Wyo-Obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Nice report...
I also have a few questions as to how you decided on your bike. Have some 50 to 100 mile loops I cover often would like to see how your bike travels in my neighborhood. Another inmate who I have conversed with has a crf250l perhaps we can do a li'l run together. Will PMail you soon.
Please do, I'd love to do some riding out your way and spend some time talking bikes...

Everyone else, Thank's for all the compliments and I'm glad you guys are enjoying my ride report. I'm working on the third and final day and am hoping to get it posted tonight.

Spoiler alert: I got the hose fixed and had a great ride with a bunch of photos.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Please Sir, I want some more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Day 3: Rescue Tape To the Rescue

After getting into a fight with a giant hill and calling it a draw....I sure didn't win the fight, but I don't feel like I lost it either.....we both came away from the fight with some scars.....

VS.

Ironically, both of those scars are evidence of the mountains apparent victory, but my success was mental and since the mountain isn't writing this report and I am, I am going to call it a draw. If the mountain has an issue about it the mountain can feel free to write it's own account of the events

After watching the sun set with my family from our deck I went back inside feeling less sorry for myself but twice as determined to try and find a solution for fixing my busted hose. My wife had brought the family in our truck and knowing what a nOOb I am I threw the motorcycle ramp into it just in case I needed it, but the absolute last thing I wanted was to have to use it and end my ADVenture.

One of the things complicating the hose replacement issue is that this particular hose is actually two different diameters. Larger on the bottom and narrower on top, and I had no idea what size either were.....

I didn't know if the hose itself was one diameter all the way through and then squeezed over one end and pinched onto the other, or if it was a specially made hose that had correct diameters on each end. I didn't want to take the hose off and risk dumping coolant everywhere to check, so Google and I had a little chat about it and I walked away still not knowing the answers I needed.

When I talked to Google about it though he kept wanting to tell me about Rescue Tape and radiator hose repair. I've seen this stuff in infomercials and in the store, but much like everything else I've ever seen in the "as seen on TV store" in the mall I figured it was crap. The more we talked about it though the more I thought that maybe it could work, especially since my hose problem was less stream and more dribble. I thought about how the hose still had the filleted piece attached that could act like a plug and I just needed something to hold that plug in place.

Once Google and I had a chat about Silicone Tape specifically I found several promising reviews as well as some that said it was, Yup, total crap. Amazon's reviews of it were the most informative and from what Google could tell me I decided that the poor reviews were mostly people that were using the product for the wrong thing or in the wrong way.

I very well could be one of those people in a few short hours, but this seemed to me to be the least worst of the options available to me so why not.......

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

My plan was to wake up early, throw down a quick breakfast and run to town in the truck. Hit Walmart for the Rescue Tape and get back to the cabin in time to fix the hose and test the repair. I planned on testing it by taking another run at the hill before my family left in the truck so that if the fix didn't hold...... or more likely, I dicked up the second attempt at the hill and busted stuff.....I still had a ride home. In all honesty, not making it up the hill was REALLY bothering me and it was something I needed to resolve. Also, I had so much fun on the rocky down hill stuff the day before after my Ah-Ha moment that I figured I would ride to the top then turn around and test my new found skills on the down hill version. All the more reason I needed to get up early and get the repair done while the family was still around.

I didn't.

Like I said before, I like sleep, I like cream and sugar in my coffee, I like......you get the point. I slept a little longer than I wanted and I took a little longer putting the butter and jelly on my toast than I should have AND I decided that I should hike the hill and get the pictures I wanted for this ride report. I also figured that walking the hill would give me a good scout of the hill and I could scope out the best lines and come up with an attack plan. By the time I was done with that though it was late and I knew it would be really close if I wanted to get to town, get the work done and bike tested by the time the family had to leave to make it home. Better get going then.

I ran to Walmart and spent FOREVER looking through everywhere I could think of to find the Rescue Tape I wanted. Rescue Tape is a brand name for silicone tape and I was hoping to find that brand specifically because it seemed to have the best reviews when I chatted it up with Google. But for the life of me I could not find it. I found a product or two that was similar, but I had complicated things by leaving my phone in the truck when I went into the store so I couldn't look up reviews or compare the heat ratings to see if it was comparable. After way too long in Walmart and the realization that testing the bike on the hill was most likely out and time was quickly running out on if I would even be able to get the repair done before the family needed to leave I grabbed what I could and went to the truck.

I couldn't find a Rescue Tape so I grabbed the only thing that looked close, SealWrap repair Tape from the plumbing section, some Hyper-Lube Super Coolant to replace what I had dribbled out of the bike (realizing that the green liquid would ruin the cool blue windshield washer color of the coolant in the system.....bummer) and some pinch style emergency clamps, just in case.

I then immediately got onto my phone and discovered that the Rescue Tape had a heat rating of over 500F and the stuff I bought was around 170F. I took some of the stuff out and started making test wraps around the Hyper Lube bottle to see what I thought about it.

This stuff is stretchy and the 2-3 inch strip in the middle there was able to wrap around the bottle twice. That is how the stuff works actually. It is not a "tape" with an adheasive it is just a silicone product that when streatched sticks to itself and leaves no residue. You have to streeeatttch it and the more you streeeatttch it the better it adhears to itself and the tighter it is on the hose you are repairing. The stuff seemed promising as a repair, but I really didn't like the low heat rating and it seemed a little flimsy compared to what I was expecting from the reviews of the Rescue Tape I was Looking for. To get the piece you need you just unroll the tape off the roll, stretch it until it rips then remove the blue paper backing that keeps it from sticking to itself. Then streeeattch it around your item to make the repair.

The stuff I bought was less than $5 and I figured that it would work if need be, but it wasn't the best choice. I liked it, but it seems like it would be much better for non pressurized system repairs and it felt like it would be GREAT for wrapping around electrical repairs or as a wire wrap. I just didn't have the confidence in it being a good choice for the radiator hose, so off to Ace Hardware.....fully realizing that this would now put me completely out of time. I might be able to get the stuff I needed, but I don't think I would be able to repair the hose and get the family on the road on time.....crap.

Ace had what I wanted AND they had it in YAMAHA BLUE . It sounds dumb, but I was bummed when all I could find on Ace's shelf was red, yellow, green, orange, black, pink, purple.....but no YAM.......wait......the last package at the far back of the shelf YAMAHA BLUE! And the only one they had left. A good omen? They also had some gas tank repair putty that I had meant to put in the bag before I left the house but forgot. For $1.98 it would be dumb not to grab some now along with a couple of traditional hose clamps just in case.

The Rescue Tape brand stuff is more expensive than what I got at Walmart. It was $11 for a roll 1 inch wide by 12 feet long. Here are the instructions....

This stuff is MUCH better for what I need it for!! I tried to tear a piece of it off like I did on the other stuff and it was REALLY hard to do. Cutting this stuff is a much better option. It is way thicker than the Walmart stuff and when you stretched it to wrap around something you could stretch it a lot more without it tearing and it seemed to hold tighter to the bottle.....

As soon as I played with this stuff I knew it was exactly what I needed and I was confident in the fact that it would work. I called my wife and told her to stage the luggage and other stuff that was going in the truck and as soon as I got back they could load up and go......before I even did the repair to the bike....that's how much confidence I had in this stuff and that it would work. Besides, whats the worst that could happen? It doesn't work and now I am "stuck" by myself in a cabin in the woods for a day or two

As soon as I got back to the cabin I loaded up the truck with the stuff that needed to go home, packed up the family, sent them on their way and got to making the repair.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #28
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Here is what I started with.....

The first thing I did was pop off the hose clamps. I unscrewed them all the way and removed them so the hose never came off the bike. I had a very small amount of coolant leak out of the lower connection when I took the clamps off but it was maybe a teaspoon or so at most....

Next I cleaned the hose and surrounding area with some rubbing alcohol....

It wasn't really needed as the rescue tape sticks to itself and can be wrapped around dirty surfaces but I don't work that way. I also wanted to have the area cleaned up and get the old dried coolant removed so that any leak after the repair couldn't be mistaken as being from before the repair

Nice and clean....

Like I said before, the secret to this stuff is that it has to be streeetttcccheeed to adhere to itself and the more it is stretched the better. It stretches well over double its length and I knew that for it to work I would need to keep it stretched while at the same time wrapping it and I was working in a tight space. What I decided to do, and it worked like a charm, was to cut off about 2.5-3 ft of the stuff and leave the plastic backing on. I then reverse rolled the tape so the clear protective film was on the inside and the silicone tape was on the outside. This would allow me to hold it as a small roll and stretch it, wrap it and unroll it at the same time. Even though during the repair the plastic film gets in the way a bit you HAVE to keep it attached that way or the silicone starts sticking to itself.

This is what it looked like....

You want to start your first wrap stretched tight and wrap it around itself at least one time to hold itself in place....

Then you stretch it tight and wrap it around your item while overlapping at least 50%.....

The plastic film gets in the way but it only takes a second to clip it off then keep going.

The goal is to get at least 2 layers over the repair and maybe 3 or more depending on what you are wanting to repair. I had worked my way up and was working my way back down when I stretched a little too much and it snapped....

Not a big deal at all. I decided to re-start at the bottom and work my way up again rather than continue down from where it broke. I figured this would give the repair section another layer and the compression from the top layer would press against where the tape broke and seal it to itself even better....

Threw the old hose clamps on and DONE!....

The instructions say that if it is to be used on a pressurized system to give it 15 minutes to set up and seal so I figured now would be a good time to check the coolant level and top it off if need be.

Yup, a little bit low...

But the radiator is still full...whew!..

So I threw some of this into the overflow bottle....

I used about this much....

Buttoned the bike back up...

And decided to wait a few more minutes to make sure the silicone had set up before starting the bike. While I waited I contemplated how I was going to transport the Hyper-Lube with me and make sure it didn't leak into my saddle bag. I wanted to make sure that I had the stuff with me in case I needed small top offs somewhere down the trail but I didn't trust the seal on the bottle, especially with the altitude changes and the bouncing around.

Perfect!....

This is the kind of stuff the black tape from Walmart is perfect for.

While we wait on the silicone tape to set up I'm going to throw in a quick review / recommendation for one of the tool kits that I keep with me at all times (work, bike, truck, house)....

It is made by Pittsburgh tool company which many will recognize as being from Harbor Freight. I have mixed feeling on Harbor Freight, also known as China Freight. A lot of the stuff they sell is absolute CRAP and I often only shop there for consumables that don't need to be high quality (rubber gloves, clamps, solvents etc) but I do occasionally buy a tool or two. A few years back I bought this tool kit expecting to get a use or two out of it then toss the ratcheting screw driver handle away and use the attachments with something else.

The funny thing is I have used this thing for several years in all kinds of conditions and it has never let me down. It can be had for about $12 or $15 dollars and often goes on sale. The sale and the coupons mean you can usually have it for less than $10.

It is metric and has almost everything I need to take off any of the fasteners on the bike. It doesn't have hex wrenches, but the star shaped ones work just fine and I used the largest to take of the #5 size hex type bolts that hold the over flow bottle shield on with no problems.....

Well, here we go, lets see if the Rescue Tape worked....fire up the bike....wait.....wait.....wait....man, how long does it take for the fan to come on? I figured that when the fan came on the system would be at its highest temp and hopefully highest pressure. If the tape was going to fail, this is when it would be.......come on already.............

SUCCESS!!!!! IT WORKED! Not a drop leaking out......

Time to gear up, lock up the cabin and RIDE!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Sorry

Sorry everyone, but I HAVE to go....I'll get this thing finished up tonight when I get back.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Great report! Hope to see you out on the trails.
Psycho
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote