ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
antirich5 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Climte in Taho/Reno area

Spending the last 2-3 days of our trip there, would like to get a gauge for the weather for the last week of May. I'm seeing low to mid 60s, but I'm sure that depends on altitude.

I'm also guessing its been chronically dry and the lake is pretty low?

Also, is there a major altitude change along the route going into and north of Tahoe? Or are the paved roads all around the 6,000 ft range?

Just trying to prepare for clothing and such. Thanks,

-Rich

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Weather in May is quite variable. I have seen snow Memorial Day many years. That would be the exception but possible. Most paved roads around Tahoe and north will be in the 6000 range with passes higher. Barring a late season storm all should be open

Tahoe is low but not so low as to be skipped. I doubt most visitors will even notice it is low

If you are looking for good paved road twisties check out out Carson, Ebbets and Monitor passes south and Hwy. 89 north

Have fun
Old 05-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Based on this Spring so far, I would have said it should be pretty mild, but there was pretty decent snow yesterday. All the seasonal passes that just opened are closed again. I have experienced heavy snowfalls on both Memorial Day and Labor Day (though the latter only once). Just be prepared for freezing mornings and be flexible in your plans. Meteorologicaly, temperatures decline linearly with altitude but other factors of terrain, vegetation, wind and shade plus lingering snowpack (if any) do create micro-climates. If there has been recent snow or ice, the roads may still be heavily sanded, usually just around a blind corner.

-dman
dman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
antirich5 OP
Studly Adventurer

Wow, didn't expect snow in late May, but i guess it makes sense. The plan is to just head up from 395 and into south Lake Tahoe village. Next day some exploring on foot, and maybe a local park and such. Afternoon is up rt. 50 to Reno.

Think 50 to 28 to 51 would be an issue with ice or cold that time of year? Or is 28 to 267 to 80East a more reliable route? Just need to get to north Reno that evening.

Here's a silly question: does the lake area suffer from cold wind off the water that time of year? Thinking back to our trip up Rt1 where some areas got blasted from cold ocean winds.

Dragonfly Interactive
Old 05-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by antirich5 View Post
Here's a silly question: does the lake area suffer from cold wind off the water that time of year? Thinking back to our trip up Rt1 where some areas got blasted from cold ocean winds.
No, not like to cold wind off the ocean. In the Sierra it's all about weather fronts passing thru. If you get stable high pressure over the whole area you have great weather. If you get low pressure over NV it can set up an evil wind down out of the mountains.

Just make small adjustments to your plans based on the weather, too cold at Tahoe, try Reno, too windy on the east side, Head down Rt 50 on the west slope.
DrKayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Fro_911
Watch this...

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Wow, didn't expect snow in late May, but i guess it makes sense. The plan is to just head up from 395 and into south Lake Tahoe village. Next day some exploring on foot, and maybe a local park and such. Afternoon is up rt. 50 to Reno.

Think 50 to 28 to 51 would be an issue with ice or cold that time of year? Or is 28 to 267 to 80East a more reliable route? Just need to get to north Reno that evening.

I would stick to the 50 > 28 > 431 plan. Even if it does snow, it usually is small accumulation this time of year. You can wait for the sun, things melt quick. Tahoe can be a nightmare on weekends with tourist traffic, but mid week it should be pretty quiet, and the 431 ride is a blast with no traffic!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,219
Also remember that on the California side of the lake, lane splitting is legal... so make use of it! :)

Rob
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
antirich5 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro_911 View Post
I would stick to the 50 > 28 > 431 plan. Even if it does snow, it usually is small accumulation this time of year. You can wait for the sun, things melt quick. Tahoe can be a nightmare on weekends with tourist traffic, but mid week it should be pretty quiet, and the 431 ride is a blast with no traffic!

Yep, should be arriving on a Tuesday, heading up 50>28 on a Wednesday evening. I'm guessing the colder temps are keeping people away that week; hotel prices seem pretty reasonable for that time.

Dragonfly Interactive
Old 05-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,980
Be warned that the speed limits in the small towns around Tahoe are strictly enforced these days. The fines can be eye-watering.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #10
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
I doubt that the So Tahoe-Reno piece will be a problem for you. If it is storming, best bet would be to get down into NV via 50 to Carson City, next best 28-Brockway/267 and last would be 431--the highest of these passes.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I`m a little late to the party, but want to offer my pennies:

Quote:
Wow, didn't expect snow in late May, but i guess it makes sense.

Winter storms are possible, but not likely enough to really worry about this year. I`d suggest planning your ride without much concern for them, then just check recent/upcomming weather a couple days out and adjust if necessary.

As noted, conditions are very localized. Also, you can ride the whole perimeter of Lake Tahoe in a few hours, so it`s not like you`ll get days on end of cold, clammy biting winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro_911 View Post
Tahoe can be a nightmare on weekends with tourist traffic, but mid week it should be pretty quiet, and the 431 ride is a blast with no traffic!
+1 to trying for weekdays. It`s WAY more enjoyable that way, whichever part of the lake you`re thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Also remember that on the California side of the lake, lane splitting is legal... so make use of it! :)
Any much more purdier views on the CA side! Also, that`s where the little "villages" are- NV side is open highways (nice and twisty, but usually far up from the lake) with short sctions of actual city riding, where you can hardly see the lake through the casions.
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #12
antirich5 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post

Any much more purdier views on the CA side! Also, that`s where the little "villages" are- NV side is open highways (nice and twisty, but usually far up from the lake) with short sctions of actual city riding, where you can hardly see the lake through the casions.

Yea, that's kind of what we're hoping to see. Not a fan of overdevelopment near natural beauty; we have enough of that in New Jersey! Small, local villages are much preferred. Although, I think we'll be staying overnight at South Lake Tahoe (CA side), for we have points for a few hotels there that we can use. Holiday Inn sounds like it's in a nice local with places to walk to.

Wondering if i should hook up the passenger heated seat for that part of the trip?

Dragonfly Interactive
Old 05-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
The little towns on the west side (Homewood, Carnelian Bay, Tahoma, Meeks Bay, to some extent Tahoe City) are still quaint and relaxed. Probably look pretty much the same as they did in the 50s, though I`m not grey enough to say that from personal experience. Some great micro-restaurants with potholed skinny old highway separating each town. Quick views through openings in the forest give you peeks of marinas, small state parks, and quiet local beaches with opportunities to stop and enjoy when a particular view really tugs at your heartstrings. The general store in Tahoma has a DIY deli where you put together your own sandwich from an assortment of breads, meats, and cheeses, then the cashier weighs it and charges you by the pound for your finished product!

Heated seat? If you already have one, why not? If you don`t have one, I can`t imagine you`ll miss it.

About the views: I shouldn`t completely "dis" them for my home state. The best long distance overviews of the whole lake (opinion, of course) are from the pull-outs on 431 climbing out of Incline Village. The CA side though offers maybe the most famous (and my personal favorite) views overlooking Emerald Bay.
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
It was low 50's coming over Carson Pass today...70's on the CA side down in the foothills.

There's about a bazillion little towns and cafes and things to see in this area. Every time I turn down a new road (to me) I'm amazed. The natural beauty is second to nowhere I've been.

Lake Tahoe is "lower" but like was said you'll never really notice it. For a little mental picture of it's depth, the bottom of the lake is virtually level with Carson City. It's freakin' huge.

Post ski season and before Memorial Day is a great time to hit the area! Have a blast.
Paul IBA #33
Av8rPaul is online now   Reply With Quote