Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
John Fabian OP
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
New 2008 Scoot 4 Sale - Problems?

What do you think?

Here is a brand new 2008 QLink Pegasus scooter for sale on Craigs List. This is a CF Moto E-Charm bike. It is carbureted, not EFI.

What problems, if any, do you see with a bike that's been sitting in a crate for 5 years. Will the gaskets be brittle? Will gunk have formed in the carb? Are the tires safe? I'd like to know what you think.

The asking price is $1,995. It originally retailed for $2,495 - $2,595.

Thanks.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
That price seems way high. I paid less for a new Kymco Super 8 150 and Kymco has a much higher reputation for quality. I wouldn't even consider it unless the price was under 1K. I don't know about Q link specifically but the quality of Chinese scooters in general seems to be questionable. It might turn out to be a nice scooter but for a little more you can get a newer model Kymco, Sym, Genuine Buddy or Aprila. Why take a chance?

BTW, suspect the resale value of this scooter will be very low if you buy and decide to sell it.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
YogiBabu
n00b

Oddometer: 7
dont buy Chinese crap, trust me. Had one. Never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabian View Post
What do you think?

Here is a brand new 2008 QLink Pegasus scooter for sale on Craigs List. This is a CF Moto E-Charm bike. It is carbureted, not EFI.

What problems, if any, do you see with a bike that's been sitting in a crate for 5 years. Will the gaskets be brittle? Will gunk have formed in the carb? Are the tires safe? I'd like to know what you think.

Thanks.
YogiBabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,702
Don't even think about it. After a week of use that is a $500 scooter.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
yeah that thing is garbage, I wouldn't even take it if was free because I know that it'll cost me more money to keep it running then to buy a brand new vespa
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
John Fabian OP
Fabe

Thanks for the replies. The anti-Chinese scooter sentiment is high, I understand that. A slightly different question is, how do bikes sitting in creates for 5 years hold up, whatever their country of origin?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 148
I too agree. Having bad experience with some of the Chinese machines. But that said, I doubt if it will be in bad shape simply because of being in a crate for 5 years. There should not have been fuel in carb so no problem there. The battery would be my main concern then scrutinize the rubber (hoses etc.) the Chinese haven't found the quality of the Japanese yet so the rubber may already be showing signs of deterioration, and replacements may be hard to come by... Ask me how I know this? LOL Good luck.
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The anti-Chinese scooter sentiment is high, I understand that. A slightly different question is, how do bikes sitting in creates for 5 years hold up, whatever their country of origin?
A five-year-old machine that has never had gasoline in it and has been stored properly will probably be fine.

Fine means the same condition as it was new. If it was junk new, it will be junk now. I've no opinion on whether a Qlink is junk or not.

If it had gas in it and sat 5 years, count on lots of work to clean out the fuel system.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Wicked

Quote:
What do you think?

Thanks.
Hey John here is my 2 cents NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY ! Want a scooter ? Buy a Big Ruckus while you still can , but before you do read my review on Motorcycle.com . http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/moto...us-review.html

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,471
A crated motorcycle can be stored in a dry inside place for years and still be good. One shop had some yamaha in the crate for 30 years they just sold. Still good as new. 20 000 grand for a bike that was worth 3 grand back in the day. Cfmoto helix clones Go for 2 grand New so the price is out of this world. 1300 to 1500 . Dealer price might have been 700 bucks max. My local Yamaha Dealer is still sells new 2009l Bwm 125 for 2500 bucks out the door . 2 Grand buy new better brands of SCooters. SYm are going for 1500 on cycle trader . http://www.cycletrader.com/Sym-For-S...:asc&newsort=1

As to what one guy said Kymco 125 are 1400 new which is a better brand : http://www.cycletrader.com/Kymco-Agi...:asc&newsort=1
The Super 8 150 cc by the same company is 2 grand . I don't know what state you in so you ll have to look through them to see if any is around you. http://www.cycletrader.com/Kymco-Sup...:asc&newsort=1

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 08:01 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
John Fabian OP
Fabe

Problem?

Thanks to one and all for the replies. I would not rule this bike out because it is Chinese. I am familiar with this model and its history. My issue is with gaskets and hoses, which I have a parts source for through CFMoto PowerSports, Inc. dealer network. I think the long crating time can be dealt with with good initial setup and a calculated break-in period.

My concern is with the price. I think $1,995 is high. I think the bike is worth $1,000. I am also sure the seller will get what they are asking. A friend of mine asked me last night if I was just being stubborn. Yes, I think I am.

This stubbornness extends to other bikes. I wont be purchasing a Ruckus. Despite how loved and popular they are, I find them esthetically unappealing. Sorry. If price were no object, I would go with the SYM HD 200. I shall save my shekels.

Look at the Coulee link below for a photo of my CF Moto (aka Moto Fabini) loaded down for touring.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Buy a Big Ruckus while you still can ...
This is the second thread recently where you say something like this.
What are you talking about?

Big Ruckus' haven't been available new for some years now.
Used ones are extremely rare and command ridiculous prices, at least in SoCal.
If you ARE talking about buying used, which I suppose you must, where does the "while you still can" part come into play?

The review you keep referring to is OLD.

To the OP,
I get that you don't seem to mind PROC scooters. What I don't get is how anyone would consider buying one of these at similar prices to a reputable, well established manufacturer, with an actual dealer network.
Even at half the price, I'd have to question it's real value.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,341
The OP has a spam link at the bottom of his post.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
John Fabian OP
Fabe

Similar Priced Bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
To the OP,
I get that you don't seem to mind PROC scooters. What I don't get is how anyone would consider buying one of these at similar prices to a reputable, well established manufacturer, with an actual dealer network.
Even at half the price, I'd have to question it's real value.
Help me find a scooter between 150 & 250cc with 16 wheels and disk brakes. The bike should last 30K with only routine maintenance while carrying 220 lbs. I will use it for touring. That is the value Im looking for. What similar priced bikes are available? Thanks.

P.S. I just found this similar bike on Craig's List.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
I'm not an expert on just what's available but this one looks good:
http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/sco...fications.html

Lists for $2500. but these things are usually discounted. 14" wheels v 16" but so what.

Honestly, I don't care what you buy.

Cheers
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote