Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #46
LordSteven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Garmin 78 Help!

Need a bit of assistance with 78. I download tracks then import into Base Camp no problems. Is there something I need to do in Base Camp prior to exporting to 78? Because I get the tracks in the 78 but they are not linked together. So when I want to follow the map I have to manually go to each track and hit go. There must be a way to link all the tracks for a specific ride together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
LordSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #47
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSteven View Post
Need a bit of assistance with 78. I download tracks then import into Base Camp no problems. Is there something I need to do in Base Camp prior to exporting to 78? Because I get the tracks in the 78 but they are not linked together. So when I want to follow the map I have to manually go to each track and hit go. There must be a way to link all the tracks for a specific ride together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Not sure what mean by linked or "go"? Tracks are lines on map either they touch or there is gap, nothing the GPS can do about it. correct this problem before download. When following tracks just ride and look down when you coome to an intersection to see which way to go.

New Garmin "feature", on new units you must turn on each track and set each color aftger download no matter whiat you see on PC. Just turn on each track associated with the ride unless there is criss cross then you may have to turn them on one at a time.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #48
LordSteven
Adventurer

Thanks for reply

My lack of knowledge makes my explanation poor at best. A ride I downloaded had about 35 "tracks" in the ride. When I put it on my GPS it downloads them individually. So when I go to tracks then "show map" it only shows the track selected not the entire trip. I was reading the manual last night and found a setting that looks like it will now automatically go to the next track. Maybe that's all I have to do. I have down loaded only one ride before and it loaded onto the map entirely, not one track at a time. Possibly it is how the ride was downloaded initially. What do you think? Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #49
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
A ride I downloaded had about 35 "tracks" in the ride. When I put it on my GPS it downloads them individually. So when I go to tracks then "show map" it only shows the track selected not the entire trip. What do you think? Thanks again.
If the tracks show in Basecamp as 35 distinct tracks, that's the way they were sent and will be seen in the 78. Using BC you can join these tracks into a single one or into groups.

When joining tracks, it's important that the tracks be going in the same direction. Select one at a time and select them in the order in which you will ride them. The resulting track will take on the color of the first track you selected. Keep in mind the track point limit of the gps. The 62/78 series allows up to 200 named stored tracks, each with up to 10,000 points.

dlh62c screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 01:43 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #50
LordSteven
Adventurer

Thanks

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help. I'll try to get it right as soon as I get home tonight.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #51
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So when I go to tracks then "show map" it only shows the track selected not the entire trip. .
I think this is you problem. Instead of turning on each track, you are telling GPS to show (only) one whole track on screen at a time. This is only to overview the track not to use it. Not sure of terms in 78 yet, gut on 76 it is "Shoe on Map" and just "Map". When you "show map" does it jump back to the map screen? If so this is not what you want. What you want is a box that toggles from "Show" to "Hide", they are verbs so what it is doing is oposite of what is displayed.

Do like I said above go to track manager and open first track and set to to show on map then go to next one and do the same until you have them all "on". Now go ride and all tracks will show on your screen.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #52
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Very interesting discussion here.

Can someone tell me the difference between this unit and using my iPhone? Screen size seems about the same.

I want a GPS where I can load my pre-planned routes/tracks but I don't want to spend $600-700 if i can avoid it. I drive on the main roads to get to my offroad destinations so need to see dirt tracks etc.

So, is the cheapest and best way to stick with the iPhone and buy some good app that can display the tracks on the maps out of range or to buy this 78 unit?
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #53
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
So, is the cheapest and best way to stick with the iPhone and buy some good app that can display the tracks on the maps out of range or to buy this 78 unit?
The iPhone goes through its battery very quickly when using the gps, especially if the display is on. You can power the phone, but you'll still have concerns wrt moisture and vibration, and the phone gets very hot when used with the display on continuously.

The 78 is a very capable unit which does require some learning, but it's the cheapest ($200 at West Marine) most powerful gps you can get at the moment. And it really isn't difficult to figure out and use.

Keep in mind, if you buy the 78, you'll still need to buy maps, or download some free ones.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #54
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Keep in mind, if you buy the 78, you'll still need to buy maps, or download some free ones.
How much can it hold ? Does it use a mini data card or the proprietory Garmin one ? And to be clear, we can turn auto recalc OFF ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #55
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
How much can it hold ? Does it use a mini data card or the proprietory Garmin one ? And to be clear, we can turn auto recalc OFF ?
Maps & Memory:
Basemap Yes
Preloaded maps no
Ability to add maps Yes
Built-in memory 1.7 GB
Accepts data cards microSD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations 2000
Routes 200

And yes, you can turn auto recalc off.

Full specs here.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #56
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,031
Thanks Emm

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #57
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
'Bout time too! ;)
It was on porch when I got home from week trip to AZ. I had played with one a year ago but just downloading tracks.

I am more than dissipointed in the thing. Why does Garmin have to screw with a good thing. I much prefer the 76 over the 78, only change needed was more saved track memory, not a bunch of firmware changes.

There new "better mouse trap" won't let you set anything like deleting pages. I only need Map, Track, & Trip when riding. This thing takes much for time with eyes off the road to change pages. To add insult to injury, Track is not even a page. It takes Menu, Menu, Down, Enter!

New Automatic time zone is nice but that is the only good new thing that I found. Can't find how to set "Loss of External Power" action?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #58
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
It was on porch when I got home from week trip to AZ. I had played with one a year ago but just downloading tracks.

I am more than dissipointed in the thing. Why does Garmin have to screw with a good thing. I much prefer the 76 over the 78, only change needed was more saved track memory, not a bunch of firmware changes.

There new "better mouse trap" won't let you set anything like deleting pages. I only need Map, Track, & Trip when riding. This thing takes much for time with eyes off the road to change pages. To add insult to injury, Track is not even a page. It takes Menu, Menu, Down, Enter!

New Automatic time zone is nice but that is the only good new thing that I found. Can't find how to set "Loss of External Power" action?
Just switch it to "Classic" profile and it'll be as close to a 60/76 as you could possibly want.

And try to learn a bit more about it before tearing it apart, eh?

But don't waste your time looking for the "Loss of external power" setting. None of the modern Garmins have that setting any more. That's why most of us power them directly off the battery when on the bike.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 04:31 AM
Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #59
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just switch it to "Classic" profile and it'll be as close to a 60/76 as you could possibly want.

That's why most of us power them directly off the battery when on the bike.
Oops, found "Page Sequence", solved that problem eh.

Did it, only thing I noticed was arrow on map is arrow. What else should I look for?

With USB removed, it shuts off, not a big problem but when I download tracks to customer and unplug it and hand it back, he wants to see what I did and it will be off eh.

Big design flaw it shuts off when loss of 12 V in. I drive thousands of miles in motorhome to record tracks in some remote place. If 12V wire fails I want UPS type switching to internal battery with no loss of data recording eh.

I am now bilingual.

IMHO you loose brand loyality if a new unit does not work just like last generation but with new stuff. However MicroSoft makes Garmin look like nothing everh changed. I guess you can do what you wnat when you own a market.

Countdown screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 02:01 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #60
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,378
The 78 has a round 4 pin connector. If you want to use 12v power I recommend getting that connector. When mine loses power it goes to a 30 second countdown giving you the option to turn it off or leave it on.