Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #61
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
The 78 has a round 4 pin connector. If you want to use 12v power I recommend getting that connector. When mine loses power it goes to a 30 second countdown giving you the option to turn it off or leave it on.
Yes that 12V plug has been standard since my old 76 without C 10 years ago.

And what happens if you are on tough single track and don't look at screen for 2 miles? No good reason why the 78 is not as good as tried and true 76. This is first of several downgrades with 78.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #62
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

MBD, this is my first cut at 78 set up instructions for my web site, please comment.

Garmin 62/78 Setup Settings
Welcome Message
Unlike 60/76 which is very simple, you need an advanced degree to follow this crap.
Plug GPS into PC with USB cable.
Use Explore to find your GPS, click on it, click on the “Garmin” folder, click on “Startup Text Document”, It should just open with “Notepad” application
Change the “display = 0” to “display = 3”
Type your name and phone number after the last line.
Go to “File” at top and click “Save”
Unplug GPS (it will power off), Power GPS back on and continue
Set Backlight Timeout & Style
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go to Display & Enter, go to Style (4th box down) & Enter, set to Grid 12 Items, go to 1st box, set Backlight time out to 2 Min.
Page Sequence & Ribbon Settings
Menu, Menu, so to Setup & Enter, go to Page Sequence & Enter, Menu, go to Page Ribbon Display & Enter, Set to “Off”.
Menu, Menu, so to Setup & Enter, go to Page Sequence & Enter
Go to a page you don’t need while riding (Compass then Main Menu) & Enter, Remove, Enter
Go to Add Page & Enter, go to Track Manager (at bottom), Enter
Go to Track Manager, Enter, go to Move & Enter, move to 2nd from top, Enter
GPS will boot to the Map page, Page button will go to Trip page, Quit goes back to Map, Quit will go to Trip Computer page, Page button goes back to Map page.
Set Profile
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go down to Profiles & Enter, set to Classic
Set Backlight Level
With unit on, push Power, use curser to move bar to far right. It will now stay there.
Time Settings
The Time setting defaults to 12 hour and Time Zone “Automatic” which is what you want.
Tone Settings
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go to Tones & Enter, go to top box & Enter, move to “Off” & Enter.
Power Settings
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go to System & Enter, set Battery Type, Unlike 60/76, there is no set External Power Loss to “Stay On”. Design Flaw 2.
Trip Computer Page Settings
Go to Trip page, Menu, go to Change Data Fields & Enter; go to “Stopped Time” & Enter, go to “Speed” & Enter, go to Overall Average & Enter, go to “Time of Day” & Enter.
Now when riding, just push “Quit” to see “Speed” and “Time of Day”, push “Page” to go back to Map
To reset Trip Data, push Menu, (curser should be on Reset) Enter, (curser should be on Reset Trip Data) Enter, this will reset all trip data but not Odometer.
Map Page Settings
Go to Map page, Menu, go to “Setup Map” & Enter, go to Advanced Map Setup (4th box down) Enter, set Auto Zoom to “Off”, set Detail to “Most”.
Track Settings
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go to Tracks & Enter
On many Dual Sport rides, it is very confusing have your Current Track (Active Log) of where you have ridden is showing on the map page. If so, set top box to “Do Not Record” or Record, Do Not Show”.
Make sure 2nd box is set to “Auto”, and set 3rd box to “Most Often” & Enter.
Set 4th box to “Daily” & Enter. A daily backup of your Current Track (Active Log) will now also be recorded in “Archived Tracks” and will not erase if you “Clear Current Track”.
You can retrieve your Active Logs before clearing using MapSource or you forgot and cleared them, you can retrieve them using Explore from the Archived folder.
Set 5th box to a “Red” line or what ever color works best for color of track behind you as you ride.

Countdown screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 03:23 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #63
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
MBD, this is my first cut at 78 set up instructions for my web site, please comment.

Garmin 62/78 Setup Settings
Welcome Message
Unlike 60/76 there is no Welcome Message. Design Flaw 1. This has changed - there's a file called "Welcome.txt" which you edit with a text editor when connected to a computer to make your welcome message.
Set Backlight Timeout & Style
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go to Display & Enter, go to Style (4th box down) & Enter, set to Grid 12 Items, go to 1st box, set Backlight time out to 2 Min.
Page Sequence & Ribbon Settings
Menu, Menu, so to Setup & Enter, go to Page Sequence & Enter, Menu, go to Page Ribbon Display & Enter, Set to “Off”.
Menu, Menu, so to Setup & Enter, go to Page Sequence & Enter
Go to a page you don’t need while riding (Compass then Main Menu) & Enter, Remove, Enter
Go to Add Page & Enter, go to Track Manager (at bottom), Enter
Go to Track Manager, Enter, go to Move & Enter, move to 2nd from top, Enter
GPS will boot to the Map page, Page button will go to Trip page, Quit goes back to Map, Quit will go to Trip Computer page, Page button goes back to Map page.
Set Profile
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go down to Profiles & Enter, set to Classic
Set Backlight Level
With unit on, push Power, use curser to move bar to far right. It will now stay there.
Time Settings
The Time setting defaults to 12 hour and Time Zone “Automatic” which is what you want.
Tone Settings
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go to Tones & Enter, go to top box & Enter, move to “Off” & Enter.
Power Settings
Menu, Menu, go to Setup & Enter, go to System & Enter, set Battery Type, Unlike 60/76, there is no set External Power Loss to “Stay On”. Design Flaw 2.
Trip Computer Page Settings
Go to Trip page, Menu, go to Change Data Fields & Enter; go to “Stopped Time” & Enter, go to “Speed” & Enter, go to Overall Average & Enter, go to “Time of Day” & Enter.
Now when riding, just push “Quit” to see “Speed” and “Time of Day”, push “Page” to go back to Map
Map Page Settings
Go to Map page, Menu, go to “Setup Map” & Enter, go to Advanced Map Setup (4th box down) Enter, set Auto Zoom to “Off”, set Detail to “Most”.
Track Page Settings
Go to Track page, go to Current Track (top box) & Enter, go down to “Set Color” (6th box down) & Enter, Scroll to “Red” & Enter (or what ever color you want behind you as you ride).
Your Active Log of every day you ride will now be recorded on your Data Card in a .gpx file with that date as the name. Track logs on the 62/78/Montana/Oregon/Dakota/Colorado can not be saved to the card. They are always saved to the gps itself. This is no big deal as track files are tiny, and you're never going to run out of space unless you don't remove them for years.

Just one piece of advice - go to Menu/Menu/Setup/Tracks and set Auto Archive to Daily. This is the best way to ensure your tracks are saved properly to the Archive directory on your gps. If you need to Trackback a previous day's track, go to Track Manager or the Tracks page and select Archive, view the track you want and make a "Favorite" of it to bring it back to the active Tracks menu page. Try to do that on your 60/76, sometime ;)
Comments inside your text...

A number of the suggestions you make are your own arbitrary choices and may or may not be useful to others, so I would suggest you add a note to the text saying that these are your choices, and ways you think work best, but there are alternatives which can be equally useful. For instance, the "Classic" mode helps 60/76 users, but once you're used to the Ribbon mode, and it's configured properly, it actually works quite well.

Jerry, do yourself a favor and stop comparing the 78 to the 76 in every possible way. It's different, yes, but it's not all bad.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #64
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This has changed - there's a file called "Welcome.txt" which you edit with a text editor when connected to a computer to make your welcome message.
On my brand new 78, the file is startup.txt, in the Garmin folder.

I edited that file with Notepad to look something like this:
Code:
<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on                -->
<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated           -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
<display = 3>

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->
Please return to Scott Whitney (310) XXX-XXXX
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #65
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
On my brand new 78, the file is startup.txt, in the Garmin folder.

I edited that file with Notepad to look something like this:
Code:
<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on                -->
<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated           -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
<display = 3>

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->
Please return to Scott Whitney (310) XXX-XXXX
I knew it was something like that. Forgot the exact name.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #66
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys. How the hell did you stumble on this?

See edited instructions above.

EMBD

Thanks for pointing out difference in backup Active log, I did notice they were there after two days and I don't have data card yet. Wondered what was up with that. That is good for guys who switch maps by switching cards but bad if GPS craps out. You can't just remove data card and get to your back up active logs, they are lost forever.

Currently >95% of my customers use 60/76, this is the standard that every one knows. Riders are just starting to move up to 62/76 and there are two types; guys who had 60/76 and have had to move up because they lost/broke/whatever their old one, and 1st timers. The 1st timers will be riding with someone who probably has a 60/76. That is why the closer the 62/76 works to the 60/76, the less confusion. Newer riders are always asking older ones for GPS help, it is much better if they are all setup the same.

These people do not have a GPS because they want a new thing to play with, they just want to turn it on and ride with no thinking (as if that were really possible in most cases).
Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #67
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Power Settings
I would imagine that there would be people who'd forget their gps on, and it would kill the battery, and then they'd be stuck with a dead gps, perhaps out in the middle of nowhere. I think having 30 seconds to choose to keep the gps on with battery power makes more sense than having the gps stay on.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #68
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I would imagine that there would be people who'd forget their gps on, and it would kill the battery,
What do you mean "forget"? This is for when the external power fails and GPS goes to back up internal battery. I do not want to loose tracking just because I did not look at screen for 30 seconds. Another issue where Garmin again took away user choice.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #69
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
What do you mean "forget"? This is for when the external power fails and GPS goes to back up internal battery. I do not want to loose tracking just because I did not look at screen for 30 seconds. Another issue where Garmin again took away user choice.
The internal (AA or rechargeable) batteries in the gps. If your bike breaks down and you need to leave it, you don't want to find out then that your gps batteries are dead so you can only use your gps if it's plugged into the bike. Say your bike breaks down so you start working on it, forgetting that your gps is still on, using up its internal batteries because you set it that way, and by the time you realize your bike is dead, so are your gps batteries. It's happened to me but I was at home when the batteries died so it didn't matter, except I now had dead batteries in the gps. If I hadn't noticed, I might have gone out and not had a charged set for backup, though.

Or you fall off your bike and are knocked unconscious for a while, and when you wake up, your bike is out of commission, and so is your gps because it stayed on.

These are unlikely, but they may have factored into why Garmin chose to make the setting.

I don't mind having lost that particular choice.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 09:13 AM
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #70
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
These are unlikely, but they may have factored into why Garmin chose to make the setting.

I don't mind having lost that particular choice.
You really believe Garmin spends 2 seconds with this type of thinking? More like dart board system design, they do not demonstrate any logic in they design progression.

I understand you may prefer this only choice (people liked Black Model Ts also) but there is no rational for deleting other choices. I would add a 1 hr option which I would use to protect internal batteries. My problem is loss of external power from cig lighter in motorhome when parked or PC at my desk.

Not clear, did GPS run down bike battery? This should take several days if not a month. Or did bike battery system fail, you parked bike with GPS on, and ran down GPS batteries.

Because I use GPS for business, I use as much backup as possible. I run GPS off bike, have lithium backup batteries in GPS, and two Alkaline batteries in pocket. For really remote track recording. I also have back up GPS.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #71
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
You really believe Garmin spends 2 seconds with this type of thinking? More like dart board system design, they do not demonstrate any logic in they design progression.

I understand you may prefer this only choice (people liked Black Model Ts also) but there is no rational for deleting other choices. I would add a 1 hr option which I would use to protect internal batteries. My problem is loss of external power from cig lighter in motorhome when parked or PC at my desk.

Not clear, did GPS run down bike battery? This should take several days if not a month. Or did bike battery system fail, you parked bike with GPS on, and ran down GPS batteries.

Because I use GPS for business, I use as much backup as possible. I run GPS off bike, have lithium backup batteries in GPS, and two Alkaline batteries in pocket. For really remote track recording. I also have back up GPS.
You really think Garmin leaves their decisions to chance?

People who like the Model T of gps units, the 60/76, prefer a gps which stays on when the power goes out, obviously.

GPS (a 60CSx) did not run down bike battery; it ran down its own internal batteries, so it was not ready to be a reliable backup the next time I went out on the bike, but I had no way to know that until I turned the bike off, and the gps didn't switch to batteries because they were dead.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 12:22 PM
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #72
travatron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I just got my RAM mount for the 78, and am a little disappointed!

It blocks the 12V power plug, so you can't have it mounted and plugged in at the same time, one of the main draws of the 78!

travatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #73
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,529
Mine doesn't, at least if you're using the four-prong plug on the back of the unit. Don't use the USB for 12v. When it gets wet, you'll kill your unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travatron View Post

It blocks the 12V power plug, so you can't have it mounted and plugged in at the same time, one of the main draws of the 78!

hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #74
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by travatron View Post

No problem here. Real easy access to the round 12V, USB and external antenna plug-ins under the covers.
No need to remove it from the cradle to transfer data, only to change the batteries.
Are you sure your cradle is for the 78?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #75
travatron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
No problem here. Real easy access to the round 12V, USB and external antenna plug-ins under the covers.
No need to remove it from the cradle to transfer data, only to change the batteries.
Are you sure your cradle is for the 78?
Yup, the official RAM mount for it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
travatron is offline   Reply With Quote