Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #91
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi guys,

Just bought myself the 78 and going through the learning process.

At home I have a Mac and at work a PC. Can I interchange without any problems? Will I see the same info on both systems?

Cheers
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #92
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
Hi guys,

At home I have a Mac and at work a PC. Can I interchange without any problems? Will I see the same info on both systems?

Cheers
No problem at all. But make sure you empty the Trash when you delete files on the gps with your Mac.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #93
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,908
Quote:

At home I have a Mac and at work a PC. Can I interchange without any problems? Will I see the same info on both systems? Cheers
Nothing to do with GPS it is the software you have in your PC/Mac. That is BaseCamp, MapSource, etc. I am not sure they MAC/PC versions behave the same but they all talk to your 78.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #94
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,895
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cheers
Not without Basecamp or my favorite and still the champion of adv type routing, Mapsource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #95
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Mapsource = PC only
Basecamp = Mac & PC . But it's different on each platform.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #96
travatron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
OK. Same mount as mine, yet my round 12V cord plugs just fine. Maybe it's the cord. When plugged in my cord points toward the bottom of the 78 vs either side or up. Can't recall where I got my cord, it doesn't say "Garmin" on it.
I figured it out, something dumb on my part. No surprise there! Since I don't have a 12v cigarette lighter outlet on my bike, I spliced a battery tender pigtail into a fuse then into the Garmin power cord (from a cigarette charger). Works great now! Thinking I might make up one to do a 12v outlet with and just carry it in my tool bag.
travatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #97
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Thanks for your feedback on my question about changing between Mac and PC when using Basecamp with my 78.

Yesterday I went out for ride with some friends and was very disappointed when at times my gps didn't display the dirt roads we were riding on. They were gazetted roads so strange. I have Garmin Topo maps loaded, the latest version 4. My mate who uses a iPhone with an app called Mud Maps had a map called "Back Country 250k" and all roads showed on his!!

Any feedback on what maps you guys use would be welcomed. Can we load other maps like these into our Garmin gps? I have ordered Garmin's City Navigator map as I've heard that those might be better.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #98
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback on my question about changing between Mac and PC when using Basecamp with my 78.

Yesterday I went out for ride with some friends and was very disappointed when at times my gps didn't display the dirt roads we were riding on. They were gazetted roads so strange. I have Garmin Topo maps loaded, the latest version 4. My mate who uses a iPhone with an app called Mud Maps had a map called "Back Country 250k" and all roads showed on his!!

Any feedback on what maps you guys use would be welcomed. Can we load other maps like these into our Garmin gps? I have ordered Garmin's City Navigator map as I've heard that those might be better.
It's possible that the zoom level you were at wouldn't show the roads. Did you try zooming in? Also, is your gps set to auto zoom? I usually turn that off.

And to answer your question about other maps, yes, you can add other maps quite easily. If they are offered to you as .img files, you can just place them in the x:\garmin folder either on the gps or the sd card if you have one. You should be aware that maps are not transparent, and there's a hierarchy which determines which map is on top, hiding details of other maps.

What you can do with the 78/62 is create multiple Profiles, and have different maps enabled in the different profiles, so switching maps is as easy as switching profiles. This is a very powerful feature on modern Garmins.

Good luck; you still have lots to learn so be patient. It will be worth it.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 07:33 PM
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #99
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Thanks Emmbeedee,

Zoom level it was not, tried them all.

Interesting about maps hiding features based on hierachy. Can you expand on that please? Should I disable all other maps then?

If you do any off road riding do you use topo or normal street maps? I know that we are in different countries but map types would apply worldwide I would think.

Will have a go at profiles as you suggested.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #100
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks Emmbeedee,

Zoom level it was not, tried them all.

Interesting about maps hiding features based on hierachy. Can you expand on that please? Should I disable all other maps then?

If you do any off road riding do you use topo or normal street maps? I know that we are in different countries but map types would apply worldwide I would think.

Will have a go at profiles as you suggested.

Cheers
This is what Garmin lists as map hierarchy: (From this help page)

But I don't see Australian maps listed. Regardless of the heirarchy, it's best to just use the map which gives best detail and have all the others turned off, ie not enabled. That's why I suggest you create multiple profiles and have your maps enabled individually in each profile. That makes it much faster to switch maps and attributes, and to tailor those profile attributes so they get the most out of each map.

The exception to turning all other maps off is the Basemap. You should always leave that enabled. I'm not sure why, but if you don't have it enabled, the gps works much more slowly especially when you're zoomed well out.

I almost always use an older product called Canada Enhanced Basemap because it allows me to be out as far as the 5k zoom level and still see the secondary and back roads.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #101
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Emmbeedee,

Interesting about maps hiding features based on hierachy. Can you expand on that please?

Should I disable all other maps then?

If you do any off road riding do you use topo or normal street maps?
He said "You should be aware that maps are not transparent, and there's a hierarchy which determines which map is on top, hiding details of other maps". Again the maps are not transparent, you only see the map on top and he then gave the Hierarchy list (been looking for that, thanks).

Only map on top shows, there is no reason to have any other maps turned on. It slows drawing for it to draw one map then over draw the next map. I could see this in old 76.

Assume you mean Off Highway, there are not roads when off road. Amost all dirt riders do not ride with Topo on, too many lines (more do with big screen montana than hand helds). City Nav works for most good roads, if you want single tracks in USFS, try finding old copy of Roads & Rec, it has a lot of trails from 80s.

Countdown screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 10:32 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #102
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Emmbeedee,

I have now been thru my new 78 documenting setup etc for my web site.

So far I have found a short list of 76 features that are missing or more difficult on the 78. I have found only two new features plus giant increase in Saved Track memory space. The auto Time Zone is new, and Recording but not show active Log is new (76 does have "Transpairant").

I have done nothing with Routing because Dual Sport events do not use Routing and I do most of my Routing with my Nuvi in car/motorhome. I will try routing with 78. Oops, the damn thing does not have autoroute base map, the 76 does.

I know you have found many features in the 78 that you like better, could you give me a list so I can make sure I have not missed anything?

Jerry

Countdown screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 06:59 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #103
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback guys,

You have confirmed what I read about the difference between topo and city navigator in that topo is not the best map to use for offroad riding (off highway). I thought topo would give me the best level of details but that's not correct as the topo shows walking trails many times for hikers. I have City Navigator on order so hopefully that will enable me to see all gravel roads and forest tracks that we drive on.

Will leave the Basemap enabled but disable all other maps except the one I want to view.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, very much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #104
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have City Navigator on order so hopefully that will enable me to see all gravel roads and forest tracks that we drive on.
Yes it will. Gravel roads are highways (street legal vehicles only). In forest called Level III roads. You should be happy. Keep your eye open for a copy of Roads & Rec, it will show you more roads and trails.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #105
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Keep your eye open for a copy of Roads & Rec, it will show you more roads and trails.
Is there a Roads and Rec for Australia?