Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #106
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I know you have found many features in the 78 that you like better, could you give me a list so I can make sure I have not missed anything?
Hey Jerry, have you used the 78 yet? I mean loaded maps and really tried it out?

I actually have a 62S, not a 78. It's quite similar except it has the Barometric Altimeter/Compass and Wireless Transfer to like units, and I like those features a lot.

The 78 is the base model and has no wireless transfer or Barometric Altimeter. But its map abilities, profiles, track archiving/unarchiving/trackback abilities are miles ahead of the 60/76. It connects to the birds faster than the legacy models, and the fact that the 78 has the four pin Garmin power connector is certainly a good thing.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 05:25 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #107
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

You might also want to look into the 78S and SC models as well. They are a little more expensive than the base 78, but they have Wireless Transfer and the ability to use the Garmin Tempe to read and store temperature info in with your track information. At under $30, it's a useful thing to have around. The base 78 might also work with the Tempe but I have not been able to determine that.

The 78SC has coastal maps included.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 07:00 PM
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #108
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
....The 78SC has a geotagging camera which is useful for marking locations you might want to remember. It's not a Nikon lens, but it's good enough.
Not according to Garmin's list of features and benefits:

"Camera: no
Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): Yes "

The "C" indicates it has charts preloaded.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #109
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Not according to Garmin's list of features and benefits:

"Camera: no
Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): Yes "

The "C" indicates it has charts preloaded.
You're right. Coastal charts. I keep forgetting Garmin made the 62SC and 78SC different. The 62SC has the camera.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #110
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Hey Jerry, have you used the 78 yet? I mean loaded maps and really tried it out?

But its map abilities, profiles, track archiving/unarchiving/trackback abilities are miles ahead of the 60/76.
Yes, just got back form Autoroute test and the damn thing doesn't even have Autoroute map like 76.

You did not see:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=102

Countdown screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 07:12 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #111
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I did see that and listed a couple of the features, and you just quoted them back to me.

Also, you said you don't do routes but don't dismiss the ability to navigate tracks on the 62/78. You can select 'Find/Tracks' and keep a track on the screen to show you the way. It won't give you warning of approaching turns but it is still very handy.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #112
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Also, you said you don't do routes but don't dismiss the ability to navigate tracks on the 62/78. You can select 'Find/Tracks' and keep a track on the screen to show you the way. It won't give you warning of approaching turns but it is still very handy.
I never use routes on bike only in car/motorhome. 76 has one feature much better than Nuvi. It gives you a roll chart of way points with 2 data items that are settable. I use ETA and miles to destination. I have routes on highways I travel all the time and I see exactly when I will pass thru each town to decide where to eat or buy gas. I was very anxious to see what 78 does but it doesn't do any thing. So far I only see one use for 78. That is scouting outings with 200 possible tracks all loaded. Also I got job to GPS record all designated BLM routes for a non-profit selling maps. With my 76, very hard to know what I had already recorded (I used Way points at ends). With any new generation you can load up to 200 ones you have done and it is very obvious when you get to one that is not recorded.

Of the many hundreds of Dual Sport riders I know, none ever use trackback. No one has ever demonstrated any advantage except smaller screen.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #113
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
So far I only see one use for 78. That is scouting outings with 200 possible tracks all loaded.
And that can be done with a 76cx using the ACTIVE LOG approach, or event better, the GPX2IMG approach of making a map out of all those tracks, which is what I do.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #114
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
And that can be done with a 76cx using the ACTIVE LOG approach, or event better, the GPX2IMG approach of making a map out of all those tracks, which is what I do.
Scott, Yes but 78 does it much much better.

With active log you can not set colors. With GPS@IMG same thing, you can not turn on/off or change color of a route out in the field.

Between Saved Tracks showing and Saved Tracks in Archive, it holds virtually unlimited number of tracks.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #115
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I never use routes on bike only in car/motorhome. 76 has one feature much better than Nuvi. It gives you a roll chart of way points with 2 data items that are settable. I use ETA and miles to destination. I have routes on highways I travel all the time and I see exactly when I will pass thru each town to decide where to eat or buy gas. I was very anxious to see what 78 does but it doesn't do any thing. So far I only see one use for 78. That is scouting outings with 200 possible tracks all loaded. Also I got job to GPS record all designated BLM routes for a non-profit selling maps. With my 76, very hard to know what I had already recorded (I used Way points at ends). With any new generation you can load up to 200 ones you have done and it is very obvious when you get to one that is not recorded.

Of the many hundreds of Dual Sport riders I know, none ever use trackback. No one has ever demonstrated any advantage except smaller screen.
The 62/78 give you a screen much like your "roll chart of waypoints" minus the two data fields. It's called "Active Route". And I bet your Nuvi has a similar feature. While navigating with my Nuvi 780, the top line lists the next waypoint and touching that line brings up the list of active route waypoints.

Check the Dashboards available for your 78's map screen if you want a Nuvi type display or Data fields. You can choose to have 0, 1 large, 2 small or 4 small data fields, or the Automotive Dashboard. Or if you use "Custom", you can choose a setup which is different while navigating than it is while not navigating. Dashboards are also available on other screens as well, like the compass screen.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #116
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Emmbeedee, need your help.

Earlier in the thread we discussed the possible reasons for why I couldn't see the dirt road we were travelling the other day. I have now turned the auto zoom off like you suggested.

I had three maps enabled. 1) Basemap 2) TOPO 3) Digital Globe (came with the gps). I have now disabled Digital Globe but left the other two enabled like you suggested.

Have now created myself a new profile like suggested.

What I don't understand is why can I see that road in Basecamp using the same maps? I've got my 78 plugged in and viewing the track we did and I can clearly see that road?? Do you know why that is?

Do I need to go into the advanced map set up on the device and change things like;
Zoom Levels, Text Size, Detail to be able to see dirt roads?
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #117
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
Emmbeedee, need your help.

Earlier in the thread we discussed the possible reasons for why I couldn't see the dirt road we were travelling the other day. I have now turned the auto zoom off like you suggested.

I had three maps enabled. 1) Basemap 2) TOPO 3) Digital Globe (came with the gps). I have now disabled Digital Globe but left the other two enabled like you suggested.

Have now created myself a new profile like suggested.

What I don't understand is why can I see that road in Basecamp using the same maps? I've got my 78 plugged in and viewing the track we did and I can clearly see that road?? Do you know why that is?

Do I need to go into the advanced map set up on the device and change things like;
Zoom Levels, Text Size, Detail to be able to see dirt roads?
So you turned off auto-zoom, but what range is the gps at when you look for the road? Often you need to be in at the 1.2km range to see the smallest roads.

Also, you really only have one map. The Basemap has DEM, Digital Elevation Model information but not much in the way of roads, and Digital Globe would be samples of BirdsEye maps, and likely not even for your area.

Go to Setup/Maps and set detail to Most.

Have you tried Shonky Maps?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #118
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The 62/78 give you a screen much like your "roll chart of waypoints" minus the two data fields.

And I bet your Nuvi has a similar feature. While navigating with my Nuvi 780, the top line lists the next waypoint and touching that line brings up the list of active route waypoints.

Check the Dashboards available for your 78's map screen if you want a Nuvi type display or Data fields. You can choose to have 0, 1 large, 2 small or 4 small data fields, or the Automotive Dashboard. Or if you use "Custom", you can choose a setup which is different while navigating than it is while not navigating. Dashboards are also available on other screens as well, like the compass screen.
Glad to know that my new $200 78 will do a Route roll chart but unlike the 76, it will not display any data items for a waypoint if it would Route which also it will not even do.

I have a 350 or 450 Nuvi and it does not do it that way, you can only see one waypoint at a time, this is why I have old 76 in car and motorhome to see the roll chart.

If you read my set up recomendations #62 above http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=62 I only use three pages; Map, Tracks, & Trip. With these three pages you can get all the data you need while riding. I always want a full map screen, never activate data items.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #119
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
So you turned off auto-zoom, but what range is the gps at when you look for the road? Often you need to be in at the 1.2km range to see the smallest roads.

Also, you really only have one map. The Basemap has DEM, Digital Elevation Model information but not much in the way of roads, and Digital Globe would be samples of BirdsEye maps, and likely not even for your area.

Go to Setup/Maps and set detail to Most.

Have you tried Shonky Maps?
I tried to zoom in as much as I could, kept pushing the + button but no road.

Hopefully with these last changes next time I will see the roads.

Haven't tried Shonky Maps yet. Will try City Navigator first when I get it.

As I can see that road in Basecamp doesn't that mean that there is nothing wrong with the actual map? Must be a setting or something in the gps and with these latest changes fingers crossed!

Cheers
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #120
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
As I can see that road in Basecamp doesn't that mean that there is nothing wrong with the actual map? Must be a setting or something in the gps and with these latest changes fingers crossed!
You're sure the segment of the map that you can see in Basecamp also exists on the gps? The maps are transferred to the gps?