User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
GratefulKicks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W Brakelight question

So I just bought a brand new 2013 KTM 350 XCF-W with plans to plate the bike here in Vermont (pretty simple here so I didn't necessarily need/want all the extra stuff that came with EXC version...plus I like the XCF-W stock gearing better than the EXC).

I got the correct brakelight switch from the dealership at the same time as the bike, knowing that it would be a pretty easy install job. The XCF-W comes pre-wired with a plug...but when I went to install it, the the male/female parts are a complete mismatch (as pictured below). I double checked the part # on-line and with another dealer and I definitely got the correct part.

Anyone else had to deal with this? Any fixes? Right now my plan is to cut off the plugs and just bullet connect the wires together, but there is hardly any extra wire and they're barely long enough to connect.

Other issue with the bike is that NONE of the lights work...not the headlight nor the taillight (and of course the brakelight doesn't work if the taillight doesn't work). I should have checked this at the dealership...my mistake.

I first thought that perhaps it's a blown fuse...but the headlight and the taillight have separate fuses....what are the chances I have TWO blown fuses right from the dealership?? The electric start works just fine, so it's not the battery. I'll double check the connection at the light switch behind the headlight next.

Has anyone experienced this? Am I missing a quick fix?

Here's a photo of the mis-matched brakelight plugs...plug on the right is connected to the taillight wiring and came with the bike...one on the left is connected to the rear brake cylinder...

GratefulKicks screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 08:36 PM Reason: made a mistake in title
GratefulKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Someone correct me, but I believe the one on the right is not the brake light plug. I have a Husaberg and the factory brake light connection was ziptied up in the harness and had the male connector matching your brake light switch female.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
GratefulKicks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hmmmmmm....can anyone confirm this? i don't see any other plugs...except a 4-way plug that i presume is for the exc taillight assembly (blinkers and plate light)
Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
I put a brake light switch on one but I really don't remember what the plug looked like.
Dumb question but you do have the switch up by the speedometer turned on right?
Your dealer should have had the bike running and checked the lights, I know I do. I'm sure you know the bike has to be running as well since they run directly off the stator.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
GratefulKicks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
I put a brake light switch on one but I really don't remember what the plug looked like.
Dumb question but you do have the switch up by the speedometer turned on right?
Your dealer should have had the bike running and checked the lights, I know I do. I'm sure you know the bike has to be running as well since they run directly off the stator.
yes, have the bike running and have the light switch in the on position. i've even tried disconnecting the wires that connect directly to that switch, switching them, and still nothing (i've switched them back to the original set up). i guess now i'll attempt to take off the gas tank to check for any crimps in the wires.

i swapped out two fuses and that didnt work either.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulKicks View Post
So I just bought a brand new 2013 KTM 350 XCF-W with plans to plate the bike here in Vermont (pretty simple here so I didn't necessarily need/want all the extra stuff that came with EXC version...plus I like the XCF-W stock gearing better than the EXC).

I got the correct brakelight switch from the dealership at the same time as the bike, knowing that it would be a pretty easy install job. The XCF-W comes pre-wired with a plug...but when I went to install it, the the male/female parts are a complete mismatch (as pictured below). I double checked the part # on-line and with another dealer and I definitely got the correct part.

Anyone else had to deal with this? Any fixes? Right now my plan is to cut off the plugs and just bullet connect the wires together, but there is hardly any extra wire and they're barely long enough to connect.

Other issue with the bike is that NONE of the lights work...not the headlight nor the taillight (and of course the brakelight doesn't work if the taillight doesn't work). I should have checked this at the dealership...my mistake.

I first thought that perhaps it's a blown fuse...but the headlight and the taillight have separate fuses....what are the chances I have TWO blown fuses right from the dealership?? The electric start works just fine, so it's not the battery. I'll double check the connection at the light switch behind the headlight next.

Here's a photo of the mis-matched brakelight plugs...plug on the right is connected to the taillight wiring and came with the bike...one on the left is connected to the rear brake cylinder...

i just picked up a 13 350 xcf-w yesterday and when i took the seat off, i have the same plug as you next to the battery. it has a brown and white wire along with same male plug as the one on the right.
as far as the lights, you have the bike running and the switch in the up position right?
keep us posted.
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
GratefulKicks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclark7 View Post
i just picked up a 13 350 xcf-w yesterday and when i took the seat off, i have the same plug as you next to the battery. it has a brown and white wire along with same male plug as the one on the right.
as far as the lights, you have the bike running and the switch in the up position right?
keep us posted.
Yes, I have the bike running and the switch up in the "on" position. There must be something not connected somewhere...just need to figure out exactly where. Will have to take gas tank off next....ugh.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I have the bike running and the switch up in the "on" position. There must be something not connected somewhere...just need to figure out exactly where. Will have to take gas tank off next....ugh.

well just had to make sure. did you trace the wire back and see if its cut or disconnected anywhere?
and as far as that connection goes, something is not right. either its wrong from the factory or the part is incorrect. whats the part number on that
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
It's possible the wires that power the lighting are unplugged, at least one of them. They are just spade connectors I believe, check behind the headlight, may be under the tank but I don't think so. It loops power through the headlight and tail light so if one is unplugged none of the lights will work. I don't think there is a fuse anywhere on the lights, the one under the seat is for the starter relay and one of those is a spare.
It is easier to see the light wiring with the tank out of the way and it takes all of a minute to remove it and the seat. The light wiring is the small wires running directly from the stator that go to a couple spade connectors.
Good luck.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

my headlight and taillight stopped working today. I checked the fuses and noticed that the #4 fuse was blown. I put a new fuse in and both lights worked properly. less than five minutes later, the lights went out again. I checked the fuse and it was blown. so something is making the fuse go. guess i'm calling the dealer this week.
any ideas on what can make that go. I haven't touched anything electrical on the bike. the bike also has yet to see the woods. just some dirt and paved roads. oh, and I only have 1.4 hrs on the bike.
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Doing the same job

Just finished my XC500-W and assume they are the same. I don't have any pictures but the 2 terminal molex plug that is connected to the bike with the brown and white wiresis connected on the backside to a 3 terminal Molex. That plug has a Brown, white and an unused green with a stripe - that green and stripe wire is the actual brake light wire. I went to Radio shack and bought a 2 terminal Molex plug just to get the needed pin and inserted it in the 3 terminal plug to connect the Brake light switches.
#4 fuse is the Yellow with blue stripe wire and feeds fan - brake lights, horn and turn signals on the EXC. - Suppose you are actually shorting to ground with a brake switch? Did it blow fuses before - of course the only thing you would have noticed was no fan. anyway I would be sure you do not have the brown wire connected to your switches - that is ground. Good luck
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:

It appears you do not have the correct switch. I ran into this scenario at the dealer level also.I think the connector in your hand is actuall a generic replacement switch. Wound up buying a switch from Sicass Racing. Go to their website and look up the switch. It'll have the little adapter harness attached to it that is just plug & play with the right connectors. I think the P# is 23-043 If I knew how to post pics, I would.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219

woodzrider screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 07:23 AM
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote