ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
The Fist OP
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,588
Camping near Page/Powell? Toyhauler or No...?

Here's the deal...

She's in Kanab and I'm in Dolores....we're planning on meeting & camping somewhere in between and Page seems to fit the bill.

Ideally, I'd like to bring my toyhauler and 950 Adventure for some campin' and riding. And I'd love to camp on or near the lake....and possibly rent a kayak or two....

Any suggestions? I really want to avoid an RV type park -- I can boondock for at least two days without the need for hook ups.

I'm not committed to the toyhauler if people have suggestion for truck campin'.

THANK YOU!!
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
You can do lonerock beach. In page there are some kayak rental places. From lonerock you can paddle acrross the bay to some neat areas. Water is more calm back there to.
If you feel real motivated and have 4x4 there is a dirt road that takes you out to warm creek and I gaurantee there wont be rvs back there. 2wd might make it been years since I have been there. My old man lives up there ill give him a call amd ask if lake is high enough to go that way and get close to lake.

Warm creek would be my preffered spot for a little privacy.
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
The Fist OP
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,588
Sweet! Thanks for the info....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorocks View Post
Warm creek would be my preffered spot for a little privacy.
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Just so you know, Lone Rock is a sandy off road area right on Lake Powell. Plan to get stuck with your toy hauler. It is not such a big deal. Everyone gets stuck. Just bring shovels and other stuff for getting unstuck in the sand. You will probably have to pay an entry fee (same as to get into the park area at Wahweap).

The road down Crosby Canyon to Warm Creek Bay varies in condition. It is generally not too bad to take a truck down but I am not so sure I would want to take a big trailer down there. I have been down there in a VW baja bug, a Nissan 2wd pickup, my old 2wd Ford F150 PU and other rigs. The very end where it meets the lake totally changes depending on the lake elevation. If the lake is totally full, there is a narrow muddy area that can be difficult to get thru. I don't think you need to worry about that tho. I hear the lake is low now.

There are some roads heading out into the desert from Big Water. You would have to take one of them to get to Warm Creek Bay. There is lots to explore out there.

Maybe you could pick up a kayak or 2 on your way to Lone Rock and camp there. Explore the roads outside Big Water. You could go bike camp at Warm Creek Bay (it would also be cool to camp up at Alstrom Point). Visit Escalante. Check out Horseshoe Bend (south of Page). Go out to Alstrom Point to take some nice pictures of Navajo Mountain and Gunsight Bay. Check out Grosvernor Arch.

Look for a map of Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument online. That should give you a good idea where the roads are and which ones you can ride on. They have a visitor center near Big Water.

There used to be a Chevron Station in Greenehaven and a pay at the pump Sinclair in Big Water. I am not sure if they are still there or not.

Have fun!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote