Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #181
Cycles East OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128

Cross bar welded between the handle bars. "unbreakable" levers installed. New throttle assm with new grips!!
Cycles East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #182
Cycles East OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128

The stock CT90 exhaust flange does not fit in the new engine (surprise). So, we cut off the stock flange and made a new one. Oversized nuts welded onto the new pipe works perfectly.
Cycles East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #183
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
looking great!

Awesome! On the front rack though...I would brace top to bottom parallel to the fork tube (triangulate the legs of the rack that are clamped to the fork tubes) and tie the mounts into the fork tube pinch bolts of the triple trees. May require longer pinch bolts. Just hate to see a worm clamp fail then cause the rack to come loose, trash a headlight and get run over, causing a flat or broken spokes. (Worst case scenario IMO) Awesome headlight btw, details?
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #184
roosterfish
ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer: 3
cool adventure

subscribed..nice deal...wish i could go!
roosterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #185
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,222
On Board.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #186
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 384
this is EPIC! and effin awesome! can't wait to see how this turns out!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #187
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Coming from a guy who rides a 100cc smoker on the streets, this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #188
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycles East View Post

Once again, nothing has been a direct bolt on for this engine swap. The carb either hits the back bone or the right skidplate support. Cut away the skidplate and will reweld a new one in.
Don't the carbs usually face the back of the bike? Could the manifold be rotated 180*?

Edit: did some research and yes, the manifold can be flipped but no, it won't help on this one. I think Dr.ATV sells a manifold that would work but I like you guys' willingness to work more and $pend less. Good on ya!

mwilliamshs screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 05:24 AM Reason: looked it up. I was wrong.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #189
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
A good parts source www.dratv.com
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #190
PhillipsMetal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Don't the carbs usually face the back of the bike? Could the manifold be rotated 180*?

Edit: did some research and yes, the manifold can be flipped but no, it won't help on this one. I think Dr.ATV sells a manifold that would work but I like you guys' willingness to work more and $pend less. Good on ya!
Stick the carb out the side and put on some assless chaps. Need some loud pipes though... I am excited about following this ride. It should be a great one!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #191
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Mc View Post
Based on that pic, I'd throw a few extra frames in the van...
I think you're right.
I've seen a few photos of "broken back" trail 90's of a normal configuration. With the "high rider" geometry going on and additional racks, cans, and loads, additional stresses will be generated.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #192
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Aussie Vid

Here you go, something to help keep you inspired. Looking forward to seeing some vids of your trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj96qagV-7Y
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #193
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 27
Wicked Honda trail 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycles East View Post
Hello, newbie Cycles East here introducing myself and a group of guys that will be attempting the Trans America Trail on Honda trail 90's (ct90's). Not only will we be riding trail 90's but we are going to attempt the trail from west to east. We are leaving Norhtern California May 22nd. Will be trucking the bikes up to Oregon and start from there. There is 5 riders and one chase truck driver in all (ages ranging from 30-50).
The bikes are being modified right now with Honda XL125 front ends and Honda XR500 rear shocks. We decided to run Lifan 125cc 4 speed engines. We will see how good these engines really are. Building a snorkle system, larger luggage racks, running 17's front and, LED lights front and back, 12v system, basic wiring harness, and will camp most of the time. Our chase van will meet up with us at random towns along the way. The van will have extra parts (including spare engine), welder, tools, and some warm food.
We have one bike almost completed. We will take it to our buddy's ranch and give it a shake down run. Figure out what sprocket ratio and see what will need to be modified.
Yes, we have only about 4 weeks left to complete our bikes and give the trusty van a paint job and a tune up. The van will be painted with a sillouette of a rider on a CT90 and the logos of our potential sponsors. We have the local auto parts store and upholstery shop hooking us up with some parts and new seats for the bikes.
We have started a facebook page (cycles east out of San Francisco) where we will be posting pics and updates of the build and ride. We will also be posting pictures (as soon as I can figure out how to) and updates on here as well! Yes, Yes, Yes, we know, you can not do the TAT going west to east. Yes,, Yes, Yes, we know, Lifan engines are junk. Yes, Yes, yes, we know, CT90's are too small... Well, that is why we are doing it. Simply because we have been told we can not do it. And if we all break down while lost in Oregon, well, we can say we got off of the couch, built some bikes, and gave it hell.
Well, I envy your adventure friend. I recall yearning and dreaming about owning a CT 90 back in the late 60's. I have always loved the outdoors and to me that was absolutly the most perfect trail bike for an outdoorsman to own. That nice big rack on the back stuck out in magazine ad's as it usually showed a big whitetail deer strapped on the back and of course the trail 90 was also shown sporting a nice gun rack on the front.
Perfect bike for fishing, hunting, trail riding and I wish they would bring that bike back again or something just like it. The CT 110 was the king of the mountain to me of those model's.
I am tempted to buy a restored low milage model off ebay now even though I have a xr250l and a harley fxr police bike. Geez, how many bikes can one man ride anyway?

Since your doing an endurance test on the Lifan engine here, maybe with any luck Lifan will build one based on the ct110 but with improvements designed or pointed right at the outdoorsman. Make it street legal too of course so we can ride it to the trail head,tent,backpack, bedroll and all.
Copy this over to Lifan, maybe they will take a hint since Honda won't.
I'll look forward to riding along with you thru my laptop screen as your adventure unfolds!
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #194
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
As a CT owner I will be following this daily. Quite the ride. Just had Matt here putting my XR250 tank on his CT as he rides all of Canada and the west coast with his surfboard looking for good waves, the guys a riding fool. Will share this link with my fellow CT group. We just got back from Moab for our annual spring trip..
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #195
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,753
Lifan did make a clone of the CT70 with a 110cc manual clutch engine, and exported it to the US for a few years but for some reason nobody makes a clone of the CT90/110. I've done basically what these guys are doing and put a Lifan 140 manual clutch engine in an old CT90 and have been riding it for several years. Great little bike for exploring remote trails. IMO the Lifan engines are much better than the 30 to 40 year old Honda engines. My 140 now has over 11,000 miles and my Lifan 200 has over 40,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipinn View Post
Since your doing an endurance test on the Lifan engine here, maybe with any luck Lifan will build one based on the ct110 but with improvements designed or pointed right at the outdoorsman. Make it street legal too of course so we can ride it to the trail head,tent,backpack, bedroll and all.
Copy this over to Lifan, maybe they will take a hint since Honda won't.
I'll look forward to riding along with you thru my laptop screen as your adventure unfolds!
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote