Wicked

A few action shots

Ok you probably get the idea, next post....scenery
tm2rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Great! I can see the smiles behind the helmet shields.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
tm2rd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
scenery....n Stuff

I'll start with Forrest and his girl Jenny (Brian's Joke)

Had lunch here...food not so great but it was the Flinstones so we had to stop.

I was attacked!!!

I know i know...this should be in action shots...

The sign lied, we didnt see any???

My favorite....

More to come....
tm2rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
2ongs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question

great night in Durango, highly recommend Ken and Sue's restaurant, the Jerk Chicken and New York Strip were outstanding!

left Durango this morning at about 9:30, the view going out of Durango south on the 550 was great, river, red mountains with pines. the temp was cool in the high 60's low 70's, we stopped in Cuba NM and decided to put our liners on because it obviously wasn't going to warm up anytime soon. about five minutes outside Cuba, it shot up to 85. shortly thereafter, 96 degrees! oh and it gets better, a nasty cross wind started, and then stayed with us the rest of the day. a couple of gusts had me white knuckling it for a while. the scenery once we got out of CO. was mostly scrub brush desert, with some mesas.

stopped in Albuquerque for lunch, and picked up parts of Route 66 / I 40 east all the way to Amarillo TX. on our way we saw a dark cloud up ahead of us and thought it was a storm, turned out it was a massive cattle pen. that went on for what seemed forever because "you can't hold your breath that long".

didn't upload the cows, but this was better.

lots of wind mills off he I40,

got into Amarillo about 8:00pm, that put us in the saddle for about 9 hrs. of hot wind and cow smells, not as scenic as the last few days but still better than working.
2ongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
The riding around Durango, Creede, Lake City, and Pagosa Springs is amazing! Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

Steve
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
Steev1705
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great Start

Looks like you guys are off to a great start, keep the pics coming, its the only chance I get to take a road trip right now!
Steev1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
2ongs OP
Adventurer

the title of this post will be "Bizarre". as we said last when we got into Amarillo last night it was in the 90's, this morning it was in the 40's with serious wind, 35-40 mph gusts and a chance of rain and even snow later. the wind was blowing so hard, the sky was gray, kinda eerie. we decided to give it a try because we knew we were going to get off the I 40 (route 66) and take back roads into OK. we had to get on the I40 for a while before we could get on the 207 south. the wind was kinda hairy, the aches of the last week of riding intensified due to my white knuckling the hand grips, fighting the cross winds.

but before we started heading toward OK, I wanted to see the Cadillac Ranch.

Once we saw that, headed out of Amarillo, turned of the I-40 onto the 207 south. as soon as we turned south the wind wasn't a factor anymore and it was a really nice ride. Just as we started south, we came upon the "VW Ranch", just like the Cadillac Ranch, except with VW's.

we found this ride in our scenic roads book. the scenery started in Claude and went all the way to Silverton. Started as farm land and then transitioned down into red rock cyn. lots of "curvy Motorcycle roads". as long as we were going south it was great.

along the way we saw some wild life, a few deer, one of them was even alive, two wild Turkeys and a fox.
the weather sucked pretty much all day but still had a good ride. stopped in Silverton for lunch at the Malt Shop, been there since "1955", and pretty much the only place we could find.

we stopped in Altus OK for the night. it was 77 degrees when we pulled in at the Best Western, by the time we went to dinner in felt like it might snow, there's actually that possibility tomorrow. we'll see how the weather is in the morning.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Gosh that looks like fun. Great RR!

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #24
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
What a great trip you are making; relaxed attitude, easy pace. The smiles, story and pictures reflect the effort.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
43stanley
Stanley461

Oddometer: 3
Thumb

Sorry we missed you in Prescott. The trip looks fantastic. Keep posting the great stories and continue having a great adventure.
43stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
2ongs OP
Adventurer

yesterday was kind of weird, forgot to mention one thing that added to the day. when we stopped in Silverton for gas/ Lunch, while we were at the gas station, the wind was really blowing. I opened the pannier (saddle bag) and all of the sudden there was a white cloud all around us. Jill was temp. blinded and my black riding suit turned white, looked like the pillsbury doughboy. The seat on the bike was white for a few seconds and the side of the bike was too. Turns out the lid on our "anti monkey butt" powder had come off and when I opened the saddle bag, the wind created a powder cloud that enveloped the entire area around us. Too bad it wasn't on video, would have been funny.

we got a late start today because we were waiting for the weather to improve a little. It was really cold and the wind was still blowing like mad, but the rain had pretty much passed through. so we got on the 62 east out of Altus OK, and headed toward Lawton OK. between the two cities there was a scenic ride we wanted to ride. right away, we realized it was going to be another rough day due to the wind, and cold. the light rain wasn't really a factor. we took the 54 N to the 49E into the Wichita Mountains, wildlife refuge. really beautiful, and great riding roads. the only real wildlife we saw was a Coyote "sleeping" on the side of the road, and a Buffalo. he apparently was camera shy, because as soon as I stopped to take his picture he ran off. we also saw a Prairie dog village, but they are smarter than us, because they knew it was too cold to stick their heads out of their holes.

once we got out of the mountains and back on the 62E, the wind seemed to have picked up if that was possible, so we were riding at about a 45 degree angle. After twice being blown off the road onto the shoulder and pretty close to the ditch, we decided to find a place to hunker down. only did about 70 miles today due to weather, but once again some really good scenery. should have taken more pictures of the Wichita mountains because it was so beautiful, but we were freezing and afraid the wind was going to knock us over.

Stopped in Lawton OK, had some BBQ, and found a hotel, hope for better weather for tomorrow. watching the weather channel in the hotel and see there is crazy weather everywhere right now. time to plan tomorrows route and find dinner.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
43stanley
Stanley461

Laugh

Good stuff. I would have loved to see the look on your face when you were covered in white powder.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
2ongs OP
Adventurer

started the day in Lawton OK, the weather improved quite a bit, still windy but nothing like yesterday, and the sun was actually out most of the day. temps were in the high 30's early in the morning, so we took our time drinking coffee and waited until about 9:30am to get on the road. mid 40's was much more civilized. we took 7E to Davis, two lane highway through farms, some small ranches, and lots of small towns. it's not like traveling cross country on the freeways, when you're taking the back roads there's always towns or speed zones that slow you down so original estimates are off. got on the 1E the Chicksaw turnpike, turns into just the 1E to ADA OK, and had lunch there.

beautiful country side, got on the 270 E to the 271 south, and finally arrived at the start of the Talimena scenic ride, in Talihina, where we ended up stopping for the night because we were running out of daylight. It's right on the border of Arkansas, and on the weekends it is apparently a popular bike ride, according to the locals. a bunch of harley's pulled into our little hotel and were polishing their bikes getting ready for tomorrows ride.

the town is very small but has a lot of personality. We ate dinner at "Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner". once inside it is very apparent the owner has serious issues with her husband and men in general (all in fun, I think).

a few things became apparent after a few days of riding through small town America; many of the store fronts are vacant in all of the small towns, everything is green, compared to the left coast, there are millions of cows, and hunting clothing is everyday wear in the Heartland, and I want a good cowboy hat (probably never wear it, but want one anyway).
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
43stanley
Stanley461

The ride looks beautiful. I wonder if there are times you wish you were sitting in a warm comfy car. This part of the country looks empty of humans.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #30
2ongs OP
Adventurer

Last few pictures are of the cafe and town we stayed in our last night in OK before crossing into AR.

after having breakfast at Pam's cafe, same place we had dinner the night before we got on the 1 east into the Ouachita Nat'l forrest. I think I've used up most of the adjectives on previous post to describe the scenery, so I'll try to come up with a new one. today's ride through the Nat'l forrest was "Fabulous"! mountain roads, with some long sweeping curves, switchbacks, and snake curves. all cut right through 80 miles of forrest. it was cloudy and cool about 46ish, but the sights were still great.

In the first week of our trip, we've had hot weather, cold, windy, real fu#*Ing windy, and today we got rain and cold. I guess that's part of the "Adventure". when we were coming out of the mountains some of those downhill S curves aren't as much fun when they are wet. I guess some of the adventure is also when you miss a turn off and have to make a big loop, 20+ miles out of your way too, not that that happened or anything.

After coming out of the mountains we made our way to Hot Springs via the 270, that was a scenic drive in itself. stopped and had lunch there. Couldn't throw a rock without hitting a Harley, there was a bike rally there this weekend, felt like a "foreigner" on a BMW. then took an unplanned ride around Little Rock, finally got going in the right direction and ended the day in Pine Bluff AR. Tomorrow, we will head south to Monroe LA and visit with an old buddy, Bill Thelkeld (for those that know him).