Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
eliteman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
87' ??Elite 150 questions

Hi all,
Just picked up this decent CH150 a couple of days ago but it has a couple of things I would like to correct. 12k miles, stock.

First things were to clean and check gap of the plug, clean the uni air filter and change/check fluids. Have poured some concentrated Walmart carb/fuel inj. cleaner in the tank.

Read some posts where some others have had to press the rear brake pedal hard or several times before it would let the starter engage. Mine is like this also.
Can this be fixed with an adjustment?

Also my idle is fluctuating and it would turn the rear wheel intermittently so I turned the idle screw out until the wheel didn't engage but the idle is still not steady. Suggestions?

Best and cheapest place to buy new brake pads, rollers and a windshield? Bike Bandit?

This thing is really a blast for being 150cc. Seems to only go 55mph tops on the fwy (speedo). Not sure if the Pirelli's are affecting the reading. 3.50x10.

Any comments appreciated!

Elite man
eliteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteman View Post
Hi all,
Just picked up this decent CH150 a couple of days ago but it has a couple of things I would like to correct. 12k miles, stock.

First things were to clean and check gap of the plug, clean the uni air filter and change/check fluids. Have poured some concentrated Walmart carb/fuel inj. cleaner in the tank.

Read some posts where some others have had to press the rear brake pedal hard or several times before it would let the starter engage. Mine is like this also.
Can this be fixed with an adjustment?

Also my idle is fluctuating and it would turn the rear wheel intermittently so I turned the idle screw out until the wheel didn't engage but the idle is still not steady. Suggestions?

Best and cheapest place to buy new brake pads, rollers and a windshield? Bike Bandit?

This thing is really a blast for being 150cc. Seems to only go 55mph tops on the fwy (speedo). Not sure if the Pirelli's are affecting the reading. 3.50x10.

Elite man
Take a look at your rubber Boot the carb goes into to see if there are cracks. Also check air cleaner is is bolt down and tight. As for the brake there a build in switch that controlled by a spring that has to be adjusted

Here s the OEm manual to help you fix it : http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Elit...nual_85-86.pdf

Ebay may be the cheapest for some parts. A windshield might be found at your local motorcycle yard .
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
brycekauai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I just got my 87 in good running condition. The thing was totally rusted everywhere and I decided to make it a skelly. Mine is only doing 55mph Max on my GPS iphone app. But the speedo reads over 60mph. I have read on other posts that these bikes should get up to 60mph with no problem, so I'm sure with some fine tuning you can get it there for sure. Just make sure you get new tires if there are cracks in your current ones. You will die if you have a blow out. Be safe and best of luck.
brycekauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
eliteman OP
n00b

Hey, thanks for the replies FMS and Bryce.
Good stuff! Thought that no one cared so rtff for several hours and Jacks scooter site recommended cleaning the brake/starter interlock switch and other connections.

Last weekend took it for a successful 125 mile r/t canyon ride and it seems to idle a bit smoother.
Applied a green rust reacting solution (like OSPHO) to neutralize the surface rust on the wheels, exhaust and other areas.

Your insistence on the insulator,manifold will press me to check it soon.
Don't want to sink another $45 bucks into it. Tires are good.
Bought for $475 and another $186 brought reg. up to date.

When I make time going to prioritize the insulator, valve clearance check,
carb inspection, trans component check and fuel line filter install.

Just spent alot of time on a couple of ch80s I have.

One last problem is that the key will not open the glovebox. Any way other way to gain access?

Gotta find a good cheap windshield to replace the one I cracked loading it in my truck sideways. lol

eliteman screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 527
Might be the best scooter ever! You should look at the "Tech Tips" at www.ch250.net. Yes, yours is a 150, but the technology is very very similar and there's a lot of info for you there.

You can find a Chinese repro windscreen on ebay.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter

Dumb as it sound most time you can pop it open. then replace the lock with out the cheap ones you find at home hardware. 20 buck max at a locksmith and hell make you a key for the lock. A clone carb boot should be only 20 bucks max. Never try it but a temp fix might be spraying a cracked boot with a rubber spray like you find for windows . Just a thought . Myself I just rewired that switch to bypass it . Hate them.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
eliteman OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Dumb as it sound most time you can pop it open. then replace the lock with out the cheap ones you find at home hardware. 20 buck max at a locksmith and hell make you a key for the lock. A clone carb boot should be only 20 bucks max. Never try it but a temp fix might be spraying a cracked boot with a rubber spray like you find for windows . Just a thought . Myself I just rewired that switch to bypass it . Hate them.
Good to know on the glove box lock. Will probably get a matching replacement for the rear helmet box as well.

Can you please point me in the direction of the clone carb boot you speak of?
Is it too much to ask for steps to rewire and bypass the starter/brake switch?

thanks again!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Good to know on the glove box lock. Will probably get a matching replacement for the rear helmet box as well.

Can you please point me in the direction of the clone carb boot you speak of?
Is it too much to ask for steps to rewire and bypass the starter/brake switch?

thanks again!
Ask the other 150 owners. As for how to bypass it google can help you find the steps because I don't know my where that is anymore . You ll need to a soldering Iron and shink rap or! Posi-Lock . You don't want to just use crimps for the wires because if they break you ll stuck with a scooter that doesn't start.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
Slickvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:

Elite man
Hey BTW, if it's on the center stand idling, the rear wheel will turn slowly by itself. This is normal.
You can turn the idle down so that it doesn't move the rear wheel but you run the risk of the engine stalling when your waiting at a stop.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 527
If you can stop the wheel from turning with your foot, it's fine. They all rotate a little on the center stand. You just don't want it pushing you at a stop.

The glove box lock is held on with a spring clip. It might just rotate out of the way with a little pressure. It should be the same key as the ignition and seat lock. Does the key go in?

The switch for the starter and the brake light is under the floor on the left side. If you lie down on the floor and look under there while someone moves the brake pedal, you should find it. It's adjustable and gets pulled by a spring that attaches to the arm of the brake lever that pulls the cable, too. It's a two stage switch, the first stage lights the brake light and the second lets the starter run. If the brake light works but the starter doesn't, you have to adjust the switch so the spring pulls it out farther.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter

If you take the locks in a lock smith can make up a key for it.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
eliteman OP
n00b

Thumb

slickvic, ok I feel better about the wheel turning a little. Still haven't figured out the idle fluctuating. It doesn't stall at stops. Leaning toward cleaning the carb and putting on a new insulator manifold or maybe coat it with JB weld like I repaired a Yam. Jog once. Speedo is reading 55 top speed.

Wentwest, yes the key goes in but it won't turn either way to release the cover. I'll spray it with WD and apply more pressure then if that fails, try to pry it open? I found the switch under the floorboard, adjusted it and sprayed it with WD. It is working slightly better as excessive force no longer needs to be applied.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
13bturbofc
n00b

Oddometer: 9
well first off welcome to being the owner of one of the best scoots ever made! with a few minor repairs due to neglect i'm sure you'll have an awesome running machine! you mentioned in your first post that it is equipped with a uni filter aftermarket unit? these 150cc hondas are very finicky with A/F ratio! you may want to figure out what jets your carb has, if your running a high flow uni filter then you need a larger jet to ensure it doesn't run lean.. or put the stock air box back on..
13bturbofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
eliteman OP
n00b

wentwest, your suggestion for a little more pressure was spot on. Ended up popping it open and just pressing the key in and jiggling/turning when I could see the innards because it is not an oem key blank.

13bturbofc, my unifilter is a foam unit that fits in the stock airbox.
its pretty beaten up and will probably go back to stock paper later since I just cleaned and oiled it.

thanks!