User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Anyone Know Where I Can Get a Rocker Arm Shaft? - '92 R100gs

OK short version first, long version follows. I need a rocker arm shaft for a '92 R100GS. BMW P/N 11 33 1336942. I ordered one from Bobs but they are back ordered from Germany, and they said it could be a week or it could be two months. This is my only bike and my riding season is probably 2 months, so I would very much like to get this thing back on the road ASAP. Does anyone have some sources for parts in the US I could try?

OK, the long version: I replaced my pushrod seals at the MN airhead tech day two weeks ago. During that process it was discovered that the bottom rocker arm needle bearing retainer had broken on the left side exhaust valve. One or two of the needles had fallen out, allowing the needles to ride crooked, which scored the rocker arm shaft. I can run my thumb nail along where the scoring is and feel the indents. Anyway, during the tech day, the scoring on the rocker arm shaft was kind of an afterthought. The main concern was getting the bad bearing replaced, which we did. I put it back together with one new bearing and the scored rocker arm shaft. The more I thought about the scored rocker arm shaft, the more I suspected that it was going to cause that bearing to go bad prematurely. I noticed that after we got everything put back together it ran much smoother and I figured that getting that bad bearing replaced must have been the cause of that.

OK, so the bike was running splendidly, and I ordered a rocker arm shaft from Bobs BMW figuring that I'd just ride until it arrived and then swap it out. Well, bad idea I guess. This week end I was loaded up with camping gear and went and did a whole bunch of riding. Maybe 600 miles. On my way home, I was stopped, idling, looking at my map and I hear "tink....tink tink...." Very distinctive mechanical sound come from the left side (the side that had the problem.) After a while it also started to be a little more vibratey. Like it had been before we replaced that bad bearing. At this point I was 150 miles from home, and I suspected that that bearing retainer had broken again, and was just hoping to get home. I did, and this morning I went to investigate and sure enough, that same bearing retainer had broken and a bunch of needle remnants were in there. Which is the "tink...tink" I was hearing.

So I can get those needle bearings from the same mechanic (I think) but I need a rocker arm shaft, because this one is no good. The lesson for me is that when you see something that clearly isn't right, deal with it right away, because it's going to cause problems. You can apply that lesson to any area of life, not just motorcycle mechanics.

My camera isn't good enough to show the scoring on the shaft. And yes, that is some dirty underwear on the floor amid my bicycles and camping gear.

Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,009
I would ask Max BMW if they have the part: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...2033%201336942

Re-Psycle may have the part also:http://www.re-psycle.com/. If not then next, I would search Ebay for the part. Good luck!

p.s. personally, I would replace all the needle bearings in the rocker that lost some because they may be damaged.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,023
Check the "breaker houses", like RePsycle, etc Call around to other shops, like The Beemershop. Or San Jose. Run a "parts wanted" request in our Flea Market and in IBMWR Marketplace.

--Bill
Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
possibly check motobins in the UK.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Johnny Locks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Thanks For Replies

Thanks ya'll. I didn't know about Re-Psycle, though I should have. As it turns out the local airhead mechanic (Charlie Johnson in Minnetonka, MN) has some used ones in good shape. I'm relatively new to this airhead thing, so I was freaking out thinking that my bike would be sitting for most of the summer. Next time I'll have a few resources in my back pockets. Thanks again.
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,023
One of the useful things every Airhead learns early-on is how to scrounge up parts. I just bought an old Yanmar Japanese diesel tractor and I'm going thru that process again...

--Bill