Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
Zumo 665 and the WABDR/OBDR

I am on the fence about the Montana and the Zumo. Most of my riding is road/fire road with the occasional jeep trail/singletrack. Can the Zumo handle the WABDR/OBDR or another ride where I will have to preload GPS tracks?

Thanks,

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I am on the fence about the Montana and the Zumo. Most of my riding is road/fire road with the occasional jeep trail/singletrack. Can the Zumo handle the WABDR/OBDR or another ride where I will have to preload GPS tracks?

Thanks,

JG
The zumo66x can import up to 15 Tracks at a time that can displayed on the map. But, they need to be filtered to ≤650 Track Points. The zumo66x will also import Tracks and convert them to Routes but there are a few minor issues with this process and I don't usually recommend using it. If you don't have a requirement for Bluetooth or MP3 Player, the Montana is a much better unit for off-highway and has a much better (although slightly smaller) Display.

P.S. Usually you really only need to post the same question once in the same Forum section.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 09:07 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,878
Just did the WA & OBDR last year. Our group used routes with Garmin 276-376 units. I think trying to follow tracks would have been a real PIA. With so many intersecting roads and all the concentration diverted to trying to figure out when your turns are coming up, no way would I want to follow tracks. Do yourself a favor and try and find a x76 unit and build a route.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
With so many intersecting roads and all the concentration diverted to trying to figure out when your turns are coming up, no way would I want to follow tracks.
Depends on the gps and its track point limit. The newer generation units can handle up to 10,000 points per track. The increased number will add detail to a track's shape.

A displayed track on a gps doesn't necessary have to be followed, it can be used as a reference. You could be riding along and see a trail turning off the displayed track. You could take it to see where it goes knowing all you have to do is work your way back to the displayed track. Once you reconnect, you can continue to follow it.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 04:22 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post

A displayed track on a gps doesn't necessary have to be followed, it can be used as a reference. You could be riding along and see a trail turning off the displayed track. You could take it to see where it goes knowing all you have to do is work your way back to the displayed track. Once you reconnect, you can continue to follow it.

daryl
You can do the same thing with a route.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You can do the same thing with a route.
But can you do this with Basecamp and the Zumo? Can you download the GPS tracks and load them to the Zumo?

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
But can you do this with Basecamp and the Zumo? Can you download the GPS tracks and load them to the Zumo?

JG
DRTBYK already answered that a few posts up. Yes, but with the 650 point limit I imagine it would really suck trying to navigate one. What I do is load the track into BC, then using the route tool simply trace the track. Upload the route to the ZUMO and your done.

If you want a wonderful do it all GPS, well then you're shit out of luck. The ZUMO is by far the best routing GPS out there, but if you want to do a lot of off road/trail riding and don't want to spend time converting tracks to routes, then you're screwed. The Montana is heads and tails above the ZUMO in display and track navigation, but if you do a lot of road riding with long complex routes, then you're screwed. Pick one, or better yet get both, that's what I did.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
... but with the 650 point limit I imagine it would really suck trying to navigate one.
Depends on the length of the track.

live2ridetahoe

I sent you a PM.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 04:42 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
live2ridetahoe OP
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post