Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Question Ft. Nelson to Carmacks Doable in One Day?

(Sorry for the repost (I had posted in the Alaska Region section - I had not seen the Cananda section)).

Are we nuts (682 miles) or is this doable on BMW RTs?

I did the Tok, Chicken to Dawson on the RT a couple of years ago and it was fine. Would this be similar road conditions?

Thanks in advance.

lopaca screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 11:45 AM
lopaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Groves
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Totally.
That's a good long haul, but certainly doable, especially on the RT!
Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
I've done Dawson Creek to Whitehorse in one day...one long ass day.

It's doable. It also depends on when you do it. If you wait 2-3 months, you will have about 21 hours of light that you can ride in without headlight...seriously.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek Forgot to Mention...

Going on the 4 mostly dirt, still doable and on BMW RTs?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,920
No probs.

I have done Prince George, Hudson Hope, Dawson Creek, Dawson City, Teslin in a day.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,548
Sure it is doable but why? At speed limit it is 11-12 hrs saddle time if the weather is good. Daylight should not be a big problem, but watch for wildlife. Lots of bison and bears between Ft Nelson and liard.

Earlier in the year watch for the frost heaves (and worse frost dips) if you are at higher speeds. Also last year there were lots of flooding and landslide problems in the rancheria area.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Thanks All

Thanks for the feedback. We are not going to push it and will stay off of the 4 for this trip. Maybe next time, take the dual sport bikes and take our time.

Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We are not going to push it and will stay off of the 4 for this trip. Maybe next time, take the dual sport bikes and take our time.

Thanks again.

Stop here and have a small lock for the change room locker

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...s/liard_rv_hs/
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
HeliDoc
Old Grey Haired Guy

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
No probs.

I have done Prince George, Hudson Hope, Dawson Creek, Dawson City, Teslin in a day.
You mean to say you have ridden from Prince George to Dawson City ( a distance of about 2300 km ) and then BACK to Teslin ( another 700 km) in ONE DAY? So roughly 3000 km in a single day? Impressive feat for sure...
HeliDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDoc View Post
You mean to say you have ridden from Prince George to Dawson City ( a distance of about 2300 km ) and then BACK to Teslin ( another 700 km) in ONE DAY? So roughly 3000 km in a single day? Impressive feat for sure...

I pulled out my log and receipts I was running a fuel cell and my total time on the bike was about 32 hours (it just felt like a day). I didn't stop for much but gas and it was the year the construction was not that bad in late june. I had to stay in the crappy motel just over the bridge on the left.

My wife , a pal and i rode PG, Dawson City, Watson Lake in a very easy day the next year well under 20 hours. Again fuel celled bikes.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Makes my one day ambles from Fort Nelson to Burnaby seem like a stroll in the park. I'm sure I'd do better if I had a fuel cell to work with, those pesky gas stops really cut into my saddle time.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Being an insomniac also helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Makes my one day ambles from Fort Nelson to Burnaby seem like a stroll in the park. I'm sure I'd do better if I had a fuel cell to work with, those pesky gas stops really cut into my saddle time.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
paprides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Yup. Very do-able.
For fun, if you don't mind 325 miles of graded gravel, Watson Lake to Carmacks via Ross River on the Campbell Highway.

The LT survived with only a few fasteners backing off in the process.
paprides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
I pulled out my log and receipts I was running a fuel cell and my total time on the bike was about 32 hours (it just felt like a day).
Who cares about the time when you're having fun? Right, Bill?

When you gonna head back up this way? BTW - it was good seeing you in Denver last August. Maybe I'll make JAX once more before I get old.

Jack
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Who cares about the time when you're having fun? Right, Bill?
When you gonna head back up this way? BTW - it was good seeing you in Denver last August. Maybe I'll make JAX once more before I get old.
Jack
Hi Jack,

I was going through some photos and I found all the one's of your pair of undershorts that I took

I guess I should get around to posting them up, I just can't figure out what forum to put them in

Paul Allison bought Susan's FJR (It lives in our garage) and he wants to pop over and do a quick zip to Alaska. We will of course be visiting/riding with you

Susan says hi and wonders why you haven't been down to visit us